Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does the hand bounce come from

Where does the hand bounce come from

I think I've been here long enough to risk starting a technical thread...

There seems to be an agreement that most beginners don't bounce to start with. Many of them hardly move at all. It's also not obvious that they are explicitly taught to bounce their hands whilst they are dancing (as opposed to catching the beat before starting a move).

My observation is that a larger proportion of non-beginners do bounce their hands (presumably marking the beat in some way). The question is, where do they get ths habit from? For the sake of this thread, can we assume that a porportion of this bouncing is un-wanted. The fact that it is not taught suggests that it isn't an essential part of the dance

Sean

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: Where does the hand bounce come from

Quote Originally Posted by tsh

There seems to be an agreement that most beginners don't bounce to start with. Many of them hardly move at all. It's also not obvious that they are explicitly taught to bounce their hands whilst they are dancing (as opposed to catching the beat before starting a move).

My observation is that a larger proportion of non-beginners do bounce their hands (presumably marking the beat in some way). The question is, where do they get ths habit from? For the sake of this thread, can we assume that a porportion of this bouncing is un-wanted. The fact that it is not taught suggests that it isn't an essential part of the dance

Sean
    I think it's like tapping your feet when listening to a song (while you're not dancing.) Something tells me that people have an in built desire to follow a strong rhythm with part of their body - which leads to dancing. And if they aren't satisfying that need by moving their feet on the beat then their hands will do.

Basically I think it's a natural thing and you (some people) have to train yourself out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tsh

Sean
    ]Does the semi circle start on most moves create a hand motion that dancers find difficult restrain,.?

Surely it is a natural defense mechanism developed in response to the thought or indeed the reality of dancing at some moment with, near or just at the same venue as Andy McG

and on a slightly more serious note

Could it be a started as a response by the learner leader to

a) spagetti arms that makes them try and re-enforce the lead motion (in the absence of tension to give feedback) ?

b) trying to get feedback from a rigid arm

c) trying to block anticipation, or get ahead of it

d) its thinking time as a suplement to counting ?

and then picked up by the learner follower

a) to try and negotiate an agreed beat while maintaining spagetti arms

b) trying to confuse the leader

c) a way of building in slack to avoid being yanked ?

d) annoying Andy

the whole thing becomes a feedback loop that encourages the bounce ......

untill someone breaks the loop and suggests that the bouncy hand is hindering communication and all becomes clear (or you accidentally bounce at Lindy and get jumped on )

I think it "leaks" into the music from the 5, 6, 7, 8 - a lot of leads only seem to move their hands, not their feet when they are trying to pick up a beat.

I just *wish* I dared to implement Missy D's suggestion (which still makes me ) of jumping up and down and innocently saying "But I was just following the lead"

Fantastic. One of these days, I'll do it

Interesting post.

Marc was saying at the BFG that that "club" background dancing generally makes you thump out the beat with your hands (think of the way people solo dancing to trance). It also seems to be a subconscious validation that you are still on the beat.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for it and I'm sure I did it (and maybe occasionally still do). I think it does make a big difference not having it; a lot of women mentioned a marked improvement after I attended that (and other) workshops at the BFG and I think that was a result of putting this stuff into practice.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by plankton
    d) annoying Andy
    You can bounce all you like. Just not in the same county as me

a galaxy far far away

or

the bottom of the M23

take yer pick

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Saxby
    a galaxy far far away

or

the bottom of the M23

take yer pick
    What are you saying about Brighton? I learnt to dance in Brighton, we never got taught the hand bounce, but it infiltrated our systems too.

Stick the the galaxy far far away.

Oh! Now you've made me want chocolate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    What are you saying about Brighton? I learnt to dance in Brighton, we never got taught the hand bounce, but it infiltrated our systems too.

Stick the the galaxy far far away.

Oh! Now you've made me want chocolate!!!
    we never had bounce in Brighton I need chocolate too (any excuse for me )

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I think it's like tapping your feet when listening to a song (while you're not dancing.) Something tells me that people have an in built desire to follow a strong rhythm with part of their body - which leads to dancing. And if they aren't satisfying that need by moving their feet on the beat then their hands will do.

Basically I think it's a natural thing and you (some people) have to train yourself out of it.
    I danced with someone who did this - never having been taught it or seen anyone do it. I suggested gently that he maybe should refrain and he said 'but its the only way I can keen the beat'. For him at least it was an instinctive way to keep in time with the music in absence of a regular pattern of footwork to mark time with.

I'm agreeing with ESG!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I danced with someone who did this - never having been taught it or seen anyone do it. I suggested gently that he maybe should refrain and he said 'but its the only way I can keen the beat'. For him at least it was an instinctive way to keep in time with the music in absence of a regular pattern of footwork to mark time with.

I'm agreeing with ESG!
    So am I. It's a mixture of that, and as LMC said the 5, 6, 7, 8, count in.
    I must admit to using this hand bounce if i am dancing with someone who seems to have no sense of rythmn at all. In the hope that it will help them find the beat!

How many Ceroc teachers does it take to change a light bulb?
    5, 6, 7, 8!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I danced with someone who did this - never having been taught it or seen anyone do it. I suggested gently that he maybe should refrain and he said 'but its the only way I can keen the beat'.
    The daftest way of keeping the beat is the drummers' favourite: biting your tongue to the beat. One guy I used to be in a band with looked like he was sticking his tongue out at you if you looked at him in the middle of a song. I've also seen dancers who keep the beat with their shoulders, which makes them hard to lead. Anyone seen any more weird ways of keeping the beat?

The Oracle

I keep the beat in my partner. It is a lot less effort.

{ anyone else have to read that slower?}

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    { anyone else have to read that slower?}

me I did....

Commercial Operator

I've worked it out (actually, I did it a while ago). The hand bounce is a sin of omission by the teacher. Dancers have a hand bounce bacause their teacher didn't correct it. Why the teacher didn't do that is a mystery - possibly fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    I've worked it out (actually, I did it a while ago). The hand bounce is a sin of omission by the teacher. Dancers have a hand bounce bacause their teacher didn't correct it. Why the teacher didn't do that is a mystery - possibly fear.
    Yeah, but that's putting the cart before the horse. No teacher ever said "bounce your hand" - so you haven't said where it comes from in the first place. The thread isn't asking what should be done about it.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Yeah, but that's putting the cart before the horse. No teacher ever said "bounce your hand" - so you haven't said where it comes from in the first place. The thread isn't asking what should be done about it.
    No, it's asking where it came from. And my answer is that it came from teachers failure to correct it. If teachers corrected the bounce it wouldn't exist and we wouldn't have this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    No, it's asking where it came from. And my answer is that it came from teachers failure to correct it. If teachers corrected the bounce it wouldn't exist and we wouldn't have this thread.
    In that case, why isn't there a knee-knocking problem (for want of a better example) - the teachers don't correct that either. The reason is that there's no tendency for people to go knock-kneed when they dance, so it doesn't need correcting. So, why, in the first place, is there a need for hand-bouncing to be corrected?

You're a smart guy, Andy, you must be being deliberately obtuse. Which is a shame, because this isn't your thread to try to derail.

Thread Information