Thread: Geeky Sitcom or Office Spin off?

Geeky Sitcom or Office Spin off?

Either this will be excellent viewing or a right load of Cr4p. I think it will be the latter.

I have just heard:-

A new sitcom - set among IT workers in the dingy basement of a glamorous company - is due to arrive on the UK's Channel 4 next month. The IT Crowd, written by Graham Linehan (the scribe behind Father Ted, Black Books), will debut on the internet on 27 January, a week before its terrestrial broadcast on Friday, 3 February at 9.30pm.

Channel 4 describes the show's premise thus: "The high-rise towers of Renham Industries are full of go-getters, success stories, and winners... apart from in the basement. While their beautiful colleagues work upstairs in fantastic surroundings, the I.T. department - Jen, Roy and Moss - lurk below ground, scorned by their co-workers as geeky losers."

The six episode first series was filmed in front of a live studio audience and stars Chris O´Dowd, Richard Ayoade and Katherine Parkinson. Chris Morris, the well-known satirist, makes a rare acting appearance as the trio's dour Scottish boss, a character more akin to 70s corporate fantasist Reggie Perrin than The Office's David Brent, according to Linehan. The series is produced by Ash Atalla, whose previous credits include The Office.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/12/it_crowd/
    Offical Web Site: http://www.channel4.com/itcrowd

Re: Geeky Sitcom or Office Spin off?

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    Either this will be excellent viewing or a right load of Cr4p. I think it will be the latter.

"The high-rise towers of Renham Industries are full of go-getters, success stories, and winners... apart from in the basement. While their beautiful colleagues work upstairs in fantastic surroundings, the I.T. department - Jen, Roy and Moss - lurk below ground, scorned by their co-workers as geeky losers."
    Yup, sounds like it lacks originality. What will this have that the Oven Digital parody Attachments lacked five years ago? Maybe they'll throw in a little Nathan Barley...

I don't watch TV: I lack faith in TV dramas to present the multifaceted aspects of such situations. Besides, how does that plot synopsis differ from HG Wells's "The Time Machine?"

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird

Here's hoping...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by tomboh
    Yup, sounds like it lacks originality. What will this have that the Oven Digital parody Attachments lacked five years ago? Maybe they'll throw in a little Nathan Barley...

I don't watch TV: I lack faith in TV dramas to present the multifaceted aspects of such situations. Besides, how does that plot synopsis differ from HG Wells's "The Time Machine?"
    For someone that doesn't watch TV, you seem to have good contemporary knowledge of it...

Commercial Operator

I'll be giving it a go - Graham Linehan's work is well worth a go. i remember having real doubts about Black Books but IMHO that's pure genius.

WRT to TV being poor, yes it is on the whole but some things are well worth watching - "Friends & Crocodiles" on Sunday @ 9 on BBC1 looks brilliant http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/poliakoff...andcrocodiles/

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird
    The IT Crowd ~SNIP~ will debut on the internet on 27 January.http://www.channel4.com/itcrowd
    ..and indeed it has, so folk with good internet links can judge for themselves..
    Love dance, will travel

They're not doing a good job when they can't make their video player work for me.

If anyone's got a link to the actual media file, please let me know...

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    They're not doing a good job when they can't make their video player work for me.

If anyone's got a link to the actual media file, please let me know...
    Hmmm - I don't think you're the only one with problems as they've changed the link on that web page since this morning.
    In case your ISP cache hasn't updated , the link currently seems to be mms://edge.channel4.com/theitcrowd/episode1_c4web.wmv.

HTH
    David
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    In case your ISP cache hasn't updated , the link currently seems to be mms://edge.channel4.com/theitcrowd/episode1_c4web.wmv.

HTH
    David
    Way-hey! That worked, thanks!

Not even going to bother looking to see what my ISP is currently delivering...

Having now watched it, I'd say it's quite funny – enough that I would continue to watch it if it was on, but maybe not enough to tune into specially.

The two guys are 100% stereotypical nerds, the girl is 100% stereotypical computer illiterate. The main story is the clash of cultures between this lot.

I found the funniest scenes involved the boss (Chris Morris) – very C. J. from Reggie Perrin.

Does anyone know if the rest of it will also be downloadable?

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Having now watched it, I'd say it's quite funny – enough that I would continue to watch it if it was on, but maybe not enough to tune into specially.

The two guys are 100% stereotypical nerds, the girl is 100% stereotypical computer illiterate. The main story is the clash of cultures between this lot.

I found the funniest scenes involved the boss (Chris Morris) – very C. J. from Reggie Perrin.
    I'd agree with that. Will at least try to catch episode 2 to see how it develops.

The CJ parallel was noticed by another review I heard this week. I've always been a fan of Chris Morris since his "On the Hour" days on Radio 4 (many years ago) and his scenes were the best ones for me.
    Love dance, will travel

Thread Information