Thread: Much Maligned Films

Much Maligned Films

Final Fantasy was a film that seemed to be universally slated upon release. Though the graphics were and still are) well ahead of anything else, the film was pasted for its (lack) of storyline and for being too long .... so when it came up on Sky the oether day I had all my work out on the floor to do while the film was on in the background. No chance! Thought the film was superb ... challenging premise for the story, superb effects, believable (ish) characters ... excellent baddy etc etc. So ... either all the reviewers didnt appreciate what they saw or I've missed the point Any comments?

The other film where I had a major disagreement with the reviewers was 'Bicentenial Man' ... again the film was panned but I thought it to be one of the most powerfull and moving films I've sen in a long time.

I enjoyed the film the bicentenial man, but as in most films based on a book, the book is far better. I would reccomend reading either the original Bicentenial man by Isaac Asimov or the expanded novel (which the film was based on) The positronic man by Aasimov and Silverburg.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Much Maligned Films

Originally posted by Gus
    Final Fantasy and
    'Bicentenial Man' ... again the film was panned but I thought it to be one of the most powerfull and moving films I've sen in a long time.
    Oh my...I find myself in total agreement with Gus. Final Fantasy was a great film I thought far better then Rush Hour 2 which made millions at the same time of release. (Im a big Jackie Chan fan too but Chris Tucker is one annoying git ) I always wondered at the 'no plot' complaint, I think 'they' watched a different film to me

Also 'Bicentenial Man' was the best AI film ive ever seen (and its an area of great interest to me), very true to Asimov ,and so much better than the Speilberg pile of poo that was A.I. the only thing that made THAT film watchable was the brilliance of Jude Law.

On the opposite side of the coin - who rates Titanic ? A film based on one of the most avoidable yet well known tragedies of the 20th century isnt enough for hollywood that they have to have a bad guy running round with a gun trying to shoot a girl who doesnt like him and wants to marry someone else. What was her name again ?

Still its hollywood so it must be true

Just seen another film that bombed at the box office but I thought was amazing. The Green Mile has to be one of the most gut-wrenching, moving yet thoroughly entertaining films I've ever seen. I guaruntee not a dry eye in the house ... and this includes the guys! Ladies ..do not watch alone ... its one that you need to be holding onto your nearest and dearest .... and seeing if he has to go for the "something in my eye" routine

Superb acting by the whole cast ... including the poisened-dwarf prison guard (didn't get his name) whom I'm sure played a similarly disturbing role as a android torturer in 'Space Above and Beyond'

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gus

Superb acting by the whole cast ... including the poisened-dwarf prison guard (didn't get his name) whom I'm sure played a similarly disturbing role as a android torturer in 'Space Above and Beyond'
    That was Doug Hutchison and you're right he was in Space Above and Beyond. Yeah, good film Green Mile another underrated one - too 'nice' for some reviewers i think.

Thought I'd hate Green Mile before I watched it.

Man, how wrong was I??? Amazing movie. Definately agree with DS's theory that it was too 'nice' for some reviewers.

Commercial Operator
    Green Mile would definately be in my top 10 favourite films. Watched it again on Ch 5 last week.....fab

Originally posted by Will
    .....Definately agree with DS's theory that it was too 'nice' for some reviewers.
    Interesting point ..... in the days when I used to get the FT (sorry, I'm a closet accountant) I used to 'enjoy' their film review section. Usualy if the FT slated the film it tended to be pretty enjoyable. The reviewer seemed to be more intersted in regurgitating obscure english and latin than actualy telling you about the film.

There are some films, e.g. Moulin Rouge ... where you can realisticaly expect peoples opinions to be split, but I'm still unclear as to how you could write off a film like Green Mile. If you liked that then you must watch the Shawshank Redemption .... another fine film with an all too believable cast. Agree?

Commercial Operator
    [i]. If you liked that then you must watch the Shawshank Redemption .... another fine film with an all too believable cast. Agree? [/B]
    Without a doubt, yet another classic

Thread Information