View Poll Results: I like Gadget

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • but I would prefer it if his spelling was better.

11 35.48%
  • and I have no problem with his spelling.

20 64.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you prefer Gadget to use correct spelling?

Commercial Operator

Would you prefer Gadget to use correct spelling?

On another thread Gadget is asking us to vote on his spelling skills. The questions steer the respondent away from voting yes by adding emotional tags to your response. There is a sub-text of "do you love/hate Gadget?" Here's an example of one of his questions "Yes - bad speelers should be cast down". I believe this makes it difficult for people to vote "yes" as you also have to say you don't like Gadget. I've written this poll to lose that aspect.

Re: Would you prefer Gadget to use correct spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    ......./big snip/...speelers......
    even I know you spell that "SPELLARS"

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

well, I think its a disgrace to post if you can't spell or use proper grammar or punctuation marks I mean if you can't spell you obviously not very intelligent and what ever you have to say is probably irrelevant anyway.

Gadget, we should meet, we could compare dictionary's, or not!!!!!

Its a problem when spell check carn't find the word cos its so wrong

We carn't be good at everything

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch
    Gadget, we should meet, we could compare dictionary's, or not!!!!!
    "And when they met... it was MOIDER!"

I've got the Haart to Haart theme tune stuck in my head now.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    "And when they met... it was MOIDER!"

I've got the Haart to Haart theme tune stuck in my head now.
    Dont you meen Tagart

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I think it's terribly déclassé to worry about wonky spelling. I'd much rather concentrate on what someone's saying rather than how they say it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch
    Dont you meen Tagart
    Oops, no, I meant "Hart to Hart", with Robert Wagner, Stephanie Powers and of course the great Lionel Stander as Max

The irony of me miss-spelling the names is not lost on me. I must have been thinking of the estate agents or something.

Anyway, the opening line was:
    This is my boss, Jonathan Hart - a self-made millionaire. He's quite a guy. This is Mrs. H. She's gorgeous. She's one lady who knows how to take care of herself. By the way, my name is Max. I take care of *both* of them, which ain't easy; 'cause when they met... it was *murder*!

Ahh, those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    déclassé
    Accents! Now that's classy.

Andy,you have got too much time on your hands

There is a sub-text of "do you love/hate Gadget?" Here's an example of one of his questions "Yes - bad speelers should be cast down". I believe this makes it difficult for people to vote "yes" as you also have to say you don't like Gadget.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I think it's terribly déclassé to worry about wonky spelling. I'd much rather concentrate on what someone's saying rather than how they say it.
    I think that ESG has hit the nail on the head here. We have to concentrate to find the word a bad speller is trying to use. Why can't we just have the word spelt properly? Then we can concentrate on the message. And, like it or not, persistent bad spelling gives the impression that somebody is less bright. If you read a newspaper and it was peppered with spelling errors you might think that the team behind it are really thick: you might think they don't care: you are likely to think less of the newspaper: you are unlikely to regard it as cute or idiosyncratic.

Come on Gadget, we know you can spell. So why aren't you getting it right all of the time?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev
    Andy,you have got too much time on your hands

There is a sub-text of "do you love/hate Gadget?" Here's an example of one of his questions "Yes - bad speelers should be cast down". I believe this makes it difficult for people to vote "yes" as you also have to say you don't like Gadget.
    As a marketing guy I have an aversion to badly written questionnaires. And Gadget's was written in a way which was likely to skew the reponse due to an emotional element.

And, no, I don't usually have much time on my hands. I'm currently relaxing/recovering after taking 36 hours to travel back from Sun City in South Africa. The Virgin Atlantic Flight was delayed by 14 hours and they put us up overnight in an hotel right under the flight path

And, no, I don't usually have much time on my hands. I'm currently relaxing/recovering after taking 36 hours to travel back from Sun City in South Africa. The Virgin Atlantic Flight was delayed by 14 hours and they put us up overnight in an hotel right under the flight path
    That must have been hell for you.

I'm going to go on about spelling and grammar, particularly Gadget's spelling and grammar, on yet another thread
    It's almost enough to tempt me to start smoking again.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev
    That must have been hell for you.
    Hey, it was a work trip. I took no pleasure in it One night it even rained a bit.

TiggsTours

I've never met Gadget, so I refuse to comment on one individual.

As I have said on other threads, I personally find that bad spelling, and bad grammar, gets my back up a bit, even though I am fully aware that mine is not perfect!

This is because, in this area, I am quite anally retarded, its my problem, just like I don't like cyclists, or noisy children (even happy noises, cheerful gurgling that others find so cute!). I'm the one with a problem, not the people who make the errors.

If I have given the impression that I think people with bad spelling & grammar are lazy, rude, and inconsiderate, I apologise, that is not the case. Can people help it if they have a speech impediment? no, having a problem with not knowing the correct place to put an apostrophe in the word "they're", or even when to use it, is no different, but it would still make me cringe!

What upsets me is text talk, even though I know this is a place to be seen as anally retarded too, this I do see as lazy, but maybe I'm just not "with it", I'd rather embrace the full use of my own language and be "without it"! My choice, my opinion, that's all. I guess its all to do with the way we're brought up, and I was brought up by a speech and drama teacher, with a love of English Literature, that I guess rubbed off on me in more ways than I think.

The difference, as mentioned on Gadget's similar thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    When talking, do you never slur, make Freudian slaps, trip over your own tongue, have to repeat yourself, mumble, stutter...And this is going from brain to mouth at the speed of thought! On here you have to go from thought to words to letters to position on keyboard to hitting the right keys - and while doing that, be thinking on the next word. Lots of places to screw up.
    is that, when you are writing, as oposed to talking, you do have the opportunity to re-read what you have written, before you press send, to check for errors, and correct them. If you choose not to, that is your choice. I personally hate the fact that, on this forum, there is no spell check facility.

The thing with personal opinions, and personal tastes, is that no one individuals are right or wrong, and nobody should be judged on them.

If you read a newspaper and it was peppered with spelling errors you might think that the team behind it are really thick: you might think they don't care: you are likely to think less of the newspaper: you are unlikely to regard it as cute or idiosyncratic.
    You might also think - gee this paper would benefit a lot from employing people to proof read - which I'm guessing most papers do... maybe Gadget should do the same...

The irony of me miss-spelling the names is not lost on me.
    I thought that was intentional!

I meant "Hart to Hart", with Robert Wagner, Stephanie Powers and of course the great Lionel Stander as Max
    You left out Freeway!

TiggsTours

If you read a newspaper and it was peppered with spelling errors you might think that the team behind it are really thick: you might think they don't care: you are likely to think less of the newspaper: you are unlikely to regard it as cute or idiosyncratic.
    Are you talking about the Metro by any chance? That paper is terrible for mistakes! Its quite entertaining!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by pjay
    You might also think - gee this paper would benefit a lot from employing people to proof read - which I'm guessing most papers do... maybe Gadget should do the same...
    Or maybe they should retrain or replace the people who currently do the job. In Gadget's case I believe he just doesn't think it's important.

Or maybe they should retrain or replace the people who currently do the job. In Gadget's case I believe he just doesn't think it's important.
    In that case, if you want him to change then how are you going to get him to think that it's important?

It would seem to me that statement of the opinion of others is probably not going to do the job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    You left out Freeway!
    I used to hate Freeway with a fiery passion. Same way I feel about the dog on Frasier. Cute animals are evil.

Thread Information