Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Logic Puzzles

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    As Graham never mentioned a pool of water being there you must have known the full Question and therefore the answer in advance ...and no one is impressed
    Unfair in this case - I was guessing that there was a pool of water. But saw a recent discussion on "ice weapons" and what evidence they'd leave behind...

Dave

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.
    Originally posted by John S
    However, I haven't figured out how he got onto the hook - a brilliantly-timed superhero leap from the overlooking minstrel's gallery, with the rope already tied around his neck ready to attach to the hook, seems a tad unlikely.
    How about looping a rope over the hook and hauling yourself up? Probably best to tie the rope so that the weight is taken by your belt (while hauling up), and then cut that bit of the rope (to coup de grace yourself).

Or you could haul in a big block of ice just to try to confuse the coroner. I think the ice option is only marginally less likely than the superhero leap.

Myself, I'd like to go quietly, in my sleep, like my grandfather (not screaming in terror, like his passengers).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by David Franklin
    Unfair in this case - I was guessing that there was a pool of water. But saw a recent discussion on "ice weapons" and what evidence they'd leave behind...

Dave
    no worries i figured that from the way you worded it but thought id go for the 'no benefit of the doubt , and downright rude' standard forum approach

sorry

Originally posted by David Franklin
    Seems a bit obvious, but did he stand on a block of ice - which subsequently melted, leaving a pool of water on the floor for the coronor's verdict?

Dave
    For someone about to top himself, it seems a bit unlikely that anyone's going to haul a 1 metre thick block of ice into his room when a chair would be so much more convenient - anyway, how long does it take a 1 metre thick block of ice to melt at (presumably) room temperature - he might have died from hunger, thirst or frostbitten feet before he were to die from hanging!

(And I worried that the leap from the minstrel's gallery might be improbable!!!)

Actually the block of ice was the answer I was looking for. I left out the pool of water as it would have made it too obvious.

Good point about the time to melt though. I hadn't thought of that when I saw this puzzle originally.

The Forum Legend
    Hmmm.

Well, the time to melt obviously depends on where you are. In Australia, at the height of summer, it'd probably take an hour to melt. In Scotland, at the height of summer, it'd probably take 6 weeks....

Steve

Originally posted by Graham
    Actually the block of ice was the answer I was looking for. I left out the pool of water as it would have made it too obvious.

Good point about the time to melt though. I hadn't thought of that when I saw this puzzle originally.
    Don't forget, you wouldn't actually have to wait for it to melt. Just jump off it. It can melt afterwards...

Dave

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    Hmmm.

Well, the time to melt obviously depends on where you are. In Australia, at the height of summer, it'd probably take an hour to melt. In Scotland, at the height of summer, it'd probably take 6 weeks....

Steve
    Yep steve....that just about sums it up. The only way we can tell that it's summer up here is 'coz the rain gets warmer!!

DD

Thread Information