Thread: Help!!!! Motorcycle MOT question

Help!!!! Motorcycle MOT question

Quick question. I've just had my scooter back from my insurers, who have declared it a (salvagable) write-off, and so I am salvaging it.

[For god sake, it's a scooter!! It's plastic!! Broken bits simply get glued back on!!]

On further examination, a small bracket on the steering has broken off. This bracket's function was to restrict the rotation of the handle bars. [ie prevent the bars being steered to much to the left or right].

Is it an MOT requirement that the steering be restricted in this way? Or can I get away with not doing anything about it? It's perfectly road worthy.

Any clues from any grease monkeys out there would be much appreciated!

Cheers ... Ian

PS ... for those who want to know, I got knocked orf my scoot on 13 Nov. My only injury (apart from the ego thing) is a slightly broken li'l finger - 3rd joint.

Re: Help!!!! Motorcycle MOT question

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you had better go and find a new one of those bits.

It depends how far you can steer back, but if you can have the front wheel looking at your back wheel, then there is a problem.

Its just in the case of an accident.

Good luck!!!

If there was sufficient force to damage this bracket, then you will need to be sure that the rake, trail and alignment of the front fork haven't been compromised and that the frame isn't bent. If these are affected, it will fail you your MOT and the scooter won't run straight. These can be fixed by a reputable garage, at a cost.

Thanks for the responses!

All's well!!! The knock that the bike took was seriously small (< 10mph), and not enough to do any major damage (it's taken a far more serious knock before, when it went mostly under a fairly large pickup!!!)

I have found (and removed) the bit of metal that had broken off (it's only about 3 mm thick), and was preventing the steering lock from engaging.

On further research, it seems that the scoot will fail on "snagging cables (and frame) on full lock". I have a fix in mind, that should be fine!

Thanks again for the feedback/comments.

!an

Thread Information