Thread: Inappropriate?? What's that then?

Inappropriate?? What's that then?

This question has just stemmed from a couple of recent threads. I'm not telling which!!! You can just go and find out yerself!!!!

What's inappropriate all about?

Overuse of punctuation?????

Mentioning stuff that might result in hurt, pain, revulsion, uncontrollable laughter, embarrassment response in some minority/majority?

Is it inappropriate to skirt around an issue or topic for fear of a similar result?

I remember hearing about a program on TV about disgust possibly being a learned reaction [I didn't watch it, and so don't know what the conclusion was]. Might it be the same with inappropriateness [ ... or doesn't that word exist].

Or ..... maybe .... this is just some invitation to a mental analytical exercise that has no end result, and so not purpose and is, in fact, a total waste of
    everyone's time!

Call me old fashioned, but the one principle that I hold most dear is creative self-expression (it's the core reason behind my desire to dance). The way I figure, is that I have a right to self-express, and will endeavour to uphold and defend that same right for anyone else. Should someone find my self expression inappropriate, that's their's to deal with [as someone else's might be mine]

That probably makes me totally and utterly inappropriate!!!!!

[ ..... anyone started up an Inappropriate Party yet? Maybe I should stand?? ]

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Inappropriate?? What's that then?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans
    What's inappropriate all about?

It's a trick.

It's like using tools such as capitalisation, bold, italics, colours, sizes, and so on to try to add emphasis to your points. It's a substitute, in other words, for not being able to put your point clearly and emphatically using plain text.

And like all these tricks, it doesn't work in the long run, and it cheapens the effectiveness of those tools when their use is justifiable. Like in that previous sentence

Or, to quote Terry Pratchett yet again:
    "Five exclamation marks - the sign of a diseased mind."

Mentioning stuff that might result in hurt, pain, revulsion, uncontrollable laughter, embarrassment response in some minority/majority?
    Different argument totally. I'd take that point up, but I'm too embarassed to do so.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    It's a trick.

It's like using tools such as capitalisation, bold, italics, colours, sizes, and so on to try to add emphasis to your points. It's a substitute, in other words, for not being able to put your point clearly and emphatically using plain text.

And like all these tricks, it doesn't work in the long run, and it cheapens the effectiveness of those tools when their use is justifiable. Like in that previous sentence

Or, to quote Terry Pratchett yet again:
    "Five exclamation marks - the sign of a diseased mind."

Different argument totally. I'd take that point up, but I'm too embarassed to do so.
    Is now ( ) a good time ( ) to mention smileys? ( ) ( )

inappropriateness: the condition of being improper

Nope. While it may not be appropriate, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's inappropriate.
    When you say something that will hurt someone, it can be inappropriate. Intention, mood and the behaviour of the person being hurt are all factors to take into account though.
    Is it inappropriate to skirt around an issue or topic for fear of a similar result?
    Nope.

I think it's important to separate inappropriate from not appropriate. (And improper from not proper.) There is a middle ground between appropriate and inappropriate. This is where much humour can be found.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo

I have possibly a different opinion to smileys than yourself ESG

I like them and use them as part of the expression that you miss out with text in a conversation/discussion sense. In a face to face dicussion you have words, body language, and tone of voice, phone calls you have words and tone of voice. Here you just have words. And sometimes you have to use lots of words where in a conversation a very simple facial expression would suffice. So I like see smileys as fulfilling that function. Eg I don't use the smiley very often as I'm not sure I have ever done that IRL. I do use the facial expressions ones as I feel they are appropriate. Even the one as I would sometimes (not that often) get excited enough to at least bounce up and down a little (eg when Dizzy said she would take me to Heavenly Dance Shoes!) if not actually jump up and down clapping my hands over my head. (OK I don't actually )

(And when I think about it I don't actually - unless I am being tickled )

Sorry, getting sidetracked - is that inappropriate?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo

Yeah, go on then, why not?

Incorrect. use of punctuation can make the post incomprehensible.

Az cna lots uv mispelings n rong worms ort ipos n txtspk.

Lynn makes an excellent point about body language - most sources agree that over 90% of communication is non-verbal - expression, tone, body language are all invisible on here. I try to assume that if offence can be read into a message, that was NOT the intention, rather than the other way around.

As for subject matter - this is a dance forum and has certain "ground rules" set by Franck. People who post offensive or sensitive material may therefore quite legitimately receive reactions that would not be either necessary and/or appropriate in other contexts ("either... or..." means pick one of those words or both). And I think I'll STFU there... :non-existent not-quite-possible-to-describe-smiley:

Thank gawd for that!!!

After noticing that this thread had been viewed a good few times, but not responded to, and now six responses ..... first thing I did was to look up all my neg rep, for stirring up a hornet's nest .... and there was none!!!!

It is, or certainly can be, a bone of contention for many, I believe, and I happen to sit quite far on one side of the argument!!!.

Thanks for your responses, and for not taking anything tooooo personally!!

Thread Information