Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paranoia for the visually-challenged...

Re: Paranoia for the visually-challenged...

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    In my experience you also need to be 5' 7", have ample breasts and a size 10 waist.
    Tell us more about your experience.......

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    Tell us more about your experience.......
    From what I have witnessed in the past gentlemen might like the librarian look but as long as it is accompanied by a leggy, chesty body...

Men don't want to see 5ft nothing, 'cuddly' librarians...

Couldn't agree more with what's been said so far, re inconvenience, fear of breaking, loss of confidence, peripheral vision etc. I hate my specs and always wear lenses, except around the house. Unfortunately I can't have the operation because it would invalidate my aircrew medical.

I have recently acquired reading glasses to use with my contact lenses, but try to avoid using them unless I absolutely have to. Bi-focal contact lenses are also not approved for flying.

I am slightly nervous of dancing with girls in specs, in case I knock them flying, but that doesn't stop me asking them. I certainly wouldn't avoid dancing with someone I know, just because they were wearing specs, but I might avoid certain moves.

I have to say that the right frames do give an added air of intelligence - "the librarian factor" and that I can find this quite sexy at times; but it is nice to see the person's face and eyes too, so a combination of specs and lenses at different times works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    I'd dance with you more with your glasses on. That librarian thing you've got going on works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Can I just ask, have you actually had the tests to see if you can have it?
    No, not yet - I'm too young for it to be worth bothering, since my prescription is still changing at a slowing but still reasonably regular rate.

Fingers crossed that in a few years' time my eyes will have settled, by which time I can then think about what I want to do. Until then, I'm stuck with lenses or librarians.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    Same here Only when I changed to wearing contacts did I start getting some attention. I loathe my glasses and I will not wear them except to get up or to go to bed.
    Why do you put your glasses on to go to bed??

OK let's lower the tone even more than SF has so far. If you wear glasses do you remove them with the rest of your clothes or keep them on when horizontal dancing?

I was always being told my glasses really suited me, I looked really good in them, but never got any male attention whilst actually wearing them.
    Yep they probably do make a difference*.

Mine have only ever come off twice when dancing - once they were knocked off (at salsa) and only once have they actually whizzed off when spinning (as I recall I was dancing with Trampy at the time!). But I do need to have a spare hand every so often while dancing to push them up, that and pushing my hair out of my face!

(*but I reckon I would get even less male attention if I didn't wear them!)

S T O P
    P R E S S
    On the 4 o’clock news there was a report that Specsavers have been unable to cope with the unprecedented demand from women for non-prescription glasses.

A variety of women in the London area are demanding ‘The Librarian Look’.

All pretended to look stern, dressed in tweeds, twin sets and pearls with hair scraped back in a bun, they insisted on purchasing glasses to complete the image. The connection with foxes, spices and donkeys is not yet understood.

With rulers in their handbags, they were heard to exclaim “but you don’t understand, I have to have these glasses, I've been told by reliable sources that they will help my dancing. I have to try them this weekend”

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    Why do you put your glasses on to go to bed??

OK let's lower the tone even more than SF has so far. If you wear glasses do you remove them with the rest of your clothes or keep them on when horizontal dancing?
    Once I've taken out my contacts I can't see so to avoid walking into things, falling over things and being able to see where I've put my book I wear my glasses to get from the bathroom to my bed.

As for your question of horizontal dancing and taking off my glasses - don't be nosy

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    As for your question of horizontal dancing and taking off my glasses - don't be nosy
    Thinking about it, I guess the answer would depend on who the partner for the dance was!

They don't cut a flap in LASIK, they soften the cornea with an alcohol solution, so how could it fall off? Its only LASEK where they cut a flap, but its also the safest, fastest recovery time, and least susceptible to infection. Where did you hear that story? smells of scaremongering to me!
    I had LASEK surgery 4 years ago at a cost of £1,000 for both eyes. I hate to think what I would have spent in that time on lenses and glasses especially as I had reached the stage of needing varifocals.

The best advice I was given by a friend who's an eye clinic nurse was, following the operation go to bed with a sleeping pill.

My advice goes one step further. Have the procedure done as late as possible and book a hotel near to the clinic, preferably with a nice young man to supply you with drinks and finger food with your sleeping pill. That way you don't have to open your eye's until the next day! Someone I know opted for a bottle of wine instead but it was so painful to open her eyes that she couldn't see to open the bottle!!!

Well, as someone who spent my whole teenage years suffering the "librarian" look, I never noticed!
    I think ESG is right about the librarian look and teenage boys. Unfortunately, I don't think teenage girls can bring off the librarian look - it's that implied threat of discipline that does the trick.

What? What'd I say?

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    In my experience you also need to be 5' 7", have ample breasts and a size 10 waist.
    If that's your starting point, who the hell cares whether you're wearing glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    Good point! I'd have to say that, my previous post notwithstanding, the most significant advantage to contact lenses is that you can keep them on while... well, just while.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    ................you can keep them on while... well, just while.
    WHY

do you keep your on socks as well

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove
    WHY

do you keep your on socks as well
    I have no idea why you ask that. What's the common theme between wearing contact lenses and socks while...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours View Post
    They don't cut a flap in LASIK, they soften the cornea with an alcohol solution, so how could it fall off? Its only LASEK where they cut a flap, but its also the safest, fastest recovery time, and least susceptible to infection. Where did you hear that story? smells of scaremongering to me!
    Batgirls post caused me to go back and look at this. Just to clarify my experience and reply to Tiggstours. She is wrong here - LASIK is the flap one as I said, and the story of the flap coming off during strenuous exercise is a warning in the material you get about the operation. Its not scaremongering, its just a possible side-effect, you accept it or not like any other side-effect. The Epi-Lasek one is the softening of the cornea - see here

An Eclectic Toaster

Wore glasses most of my adult life: when I was most "into" dancing, I wore a pair of small Lennonesque specs to minimise the risk of them being knocked off. Nowadays I just wear my usual ones as I'm only an occasional dancer. I've never checked, but I doubt I could get an op done since, er, one of my corneas isn't actually mine...

Regarding how people react, I get mistaken for being intelligent quite often , but I can't say whether people reacted more or less favourably when I wore contacts. I do think the style of specs makes a difference though: they really have to "fit your face", so having someone along while trying out is a big help.

As to being squeamish about your eyes...well, you know the big metal syringe that dentists used to do gum injections? Do you know what an opthalmologist does to treat an incipient rejection of a corneal graft with steroids? I'll let you work it out

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    As to being squeamish about your eyes...well, you know the big metal syringe that dentists used to do gum injections? Do you know what an opthalmologist does to treat an incipient rejection of a corneal graft with steroids? I'll let you work it out
    Oh. My. God. And you can't even close your eyes.

I have perfect eyesight - and am mightily relieved about it, having read this thread! And I honestly don't think it's ever occured to me to take glasses, or the lack of them, into account when choosing a potential dance partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I'm blind as a bat
    Bats aren't blind!

Sorry, rant over

Thread Information