Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paranoia for the visually-challenged...

Re: Paranoia for the visually-challenged...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev F

And T could pant softly under her breath: "your books are overdue and you will need to be disciplined" whilst dancing and loking over her spectacles in a stern manner.

Right guys. Feel free to form an orderly queue behind me

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    I'd agree with that - I wore my glasses last night 'cos my eyes were sore and getting dances was hard work - and this is the venue I taxi at so people know me!
    Or knew you

As CeeCee mentioned I wonder if it is partly lack of familarity / taking longer to recognise someone, rather than an inherent issue with glasses.

Oddly enough - I too have been pondering the whole glasses issue today!

I collected my son's (Barney - aged 7 & a half) 1st ever pair today. As we looked at each other in the mirror, he said to me "I do like them mummy - but I just don't look like Barney!"

I thought he looked and handsome (and no I'm not just a bias mother!! ),even quite sensible (well, looks can be deceptive!! ) but definately older than he actually is

It was true, he did in fact look - 'different'. I think that when you first see someone you know, wearing glasses and you are not used to them doing so, they def do look different, but as others are quick to point out;

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox
    I'd dance with you more with your glasses on. That librarian thing you've got going on works for me.
    ...and...

Quote Originally Posted by KevF
    Yep....it works for me. Where are you dancing the weekend T?????
    ...and not forgetting...

Quote Originally Posted by Spice'n'easy
    Right guys. Feel free to form an orderly queue behind me
    Obviously "boys will be boys" but plenty of people do find glasses pleasant to look at - (or are at the very least, not put off by them).

IMO Choosing the frames is the key and as long as you can still 'read' someones mood and guage how they are feeling etc. - largely done by seeing the expression in their eyes (behind the frames) then they are not a barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    Dance with me too please when you've finished.

ZW
    ..and I will try not to knock them flying across the room with my spare left arm!!

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    I'm going to say something that is controversial here.

Saying you don't notice that someone is wearing glasses is like saying you don't notice the colour of their skin. Its *******s.

You notice, you notice if they are black/white, male/female, bald/blonde/brunette/redhead, fat/thin, have facial hair/don't wearing glasses/not. Period!

It doesn't necessarily mean it makes any difference to you, but you do notice!

However, scientists have proved, time and time again, that you sub-conciously judge people by the way they look. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you human!
    Boils down to semantics I guess and your definition of the word 'notice' - anyone who has failed to 'notice' their partner's new hairstyle, dress, etc knows that trying to justify their oversight by saying that they were aware of it on a subconcious level rarely cuts any ice

Robert

I gave up wearing glasses because I got seriously @rsed with a) having to clean them every 10 minutes, b) not being able to see clearly when it rained, and c) (most of all, yeah most of all) I hate the way they steam up when you enter a building on a cold day. Or at night.

So now I mostly wear contacts.

And most recently of all, curse it, reading glasses.

When finances permit I will be investigating bi-focal lenses.

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Kev F

And T could pant softly under her breath: "your books are overdue and you will need to be disciplined" whilst dancing and loking over her spectacles in a stern manner.

Yep....it works for me. Where are you dancing the weekend T?????
    So, how long before this very innocent thread gets sent upstairs then .

Maybe punishment should be dealt out with a ruler - I have one you can borrow should the need arise T .

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Maybe punishment should be dealt out with a ruler
    I would have thought you'd have known better Sparkles - you know they'll just enjoy that.

On the rare occasions I have danced in glasses, I'm not aware of a difference in my balance (but then it's not that strong a prescription, so maybe the peripheral vision thing on spinning doesn't have such a great effect). And I've never had them bashed (although I have occasionally accidently bashed the glasses of someone I'm dancing with )

So much as I hate to admit it, contact lenses are a vanity thing for me (also comfort - sweaty glasses are 'orrible!)

what SF, Dizzy, Sparkles, ZW, robd, CeeCee, KevF, Spicy, and LT said
    - but you know, I'm feeling so much better about this whole thing now.

So, that's one pair of glasses and a wooden ruler in my dancing bag for Funky-lush then

Since I posted this I've been thinking about it some more, and I have yet another, more personal, theory. Maybe part of the reason why I've always been self-conscious about it is the old rhyme my Grandma said to me the very first time I got glasses - "Boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses" - I was 6, so it didn't make an immediate impact on my lifestyle, but it must have made an impression since it has stuck with me all these years. Especially since it was true for most of secondary school - teenage boys just don't go for the librarian look, more's the pity.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    teenage boys just don't go for the librarian look, more's the pity.
    Wanna bet?

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Wanna bet?
    Well, as someone who spent my whole teenage years suffering the "librarian" look, I never noticed! It was only when I wasn't wearing my glasses I started getting any attention from boys, and it was instantaneous! That's why my parents finally relented and bought me my first pair of contacts, they got fed up with me walking into the furniture all the time!

Problem with meeting boys when you haven't got your glasses on, and don't have lenses, is that, you never really know what they look like!

Well, as someone who spent my whole teenage years suffering the "librarian" look, I never noticed!
    Ah, but there's much more to the librarian look than just wearing glasses... right boys?

TiggsTours

Ah, but there's much more to the librarian look than just wearing glasses... right boys?
    So, in that case, how can someone be attractive without glasses, and instantly unattractive when they put them on?

Do elaborate...

It depends on the glasses - as someone (sorry, not sure if it was TT or Tessalicious) said up there, if they are a really strong prescription for short-sightedness they can make your eyes look quite small.

And if people are restricted to frames that don't suit (she said tactfully...) - really small frames seem to be "in" at the moment, and I really don't think they suit me - I'm not entirely happy with the ones I got, but they were the largest available at only a semi- rather than wholly stupid price unless I went for aviator style frames - which definitely don't suit me. Fashion - what happened to 'classic' frames I want some really huge black frames - librarian style in fact...

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    It depends on the glasses - as someone (sorry, not sure if it was TT or Tessalicious) said up there, if they are a really strong prescription for short-sightedness they can make your eyes look quite small.

And if people are restricted to frames that don't suit (she said tactfully...) - really small frames seem to be "in" at the moment, and I really don't think they suit me - I'm not entirely happy with the ones I got, but they were the largest available at only a semi- rather than wholly stupid price unless I went for aviator style frames - which definitely don't suit me. Fashion - what happened to 'classic' frames I want some really huge black frames - librarian style in fact...
    If you look at my profile, you will see me in glasses. I was always being told my glasses really suited me, I looked really good in them, but never got any male attention whilst actually wearing them.

Yes, especially for those librarians that don't wear spectacles.

Or a twin set and pearls

Or a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches

Or 'Shush' you at every possible opportunity

Not that working as a librarian for 5 years made me sensitive to these stereotypes of course.............................

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    Do elaborate...
    I'd say you had it just about right! (Right, boys?)

So, in that case, how can someone be attractive without glasses, and instantly unattractive when they put them on?
    If they're doing the librarian look correctly, it doesn't matter whether they're wearing glasses or not...

... but never got any male attention whilst actually wearing them.
    Same here Only when I changed to wearing contacts did I start getting some attention. I loathe my glasses and I will not wear them except to get up or to go to bed.

In my experience you also need to be 5' 7", have ample breasts and a size 10 waist.

Thread Information