Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paranoia for the visually-challenged...

Re: Paranoia for the visually-challenged...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Suddenly feel the need to wear my glasses and my hair in a bun when I next see SF .
    Don't fight it Sparkles, don't fight it.....

Ok, can I just say to all this talk of laser surgery - I'm having a strange reaction which combines :eeeew: (cos some of the descriptions can get really graphic) and :humph: (cos I can't get it yet). I can't wait until all this stress about having to tailor make-up to glasses/lenses, whether I've been wearing my lenses too long and whether I have any peripheral vision is over.

On the other hand, thanks for reassuring me that it's not just me that doesn't like wearing them. I can totally believe the statistics from the study about people's negative perceptions (although I haven't had a chance to read it, since I'm supposed to be reading papers about how smoking pot makes people psychotic, which is obviously more like real work).

My personal experience is that someone with glasses on, particularly with a prescription for distance as strong as mine, is not only behind a barrier, but also has significantly smaller-seeming eyes, which just isn't as attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Suddenly feel the need to wear my glasses and my hair in a bun when I next see SF .

I don't mind dancing in my glasses, but it does restrict my movements a bit because I, like the other people here, am scared of them coming off and getting broken.

Next time you wear your glasses T, come and find me and we'll have some dances - the people that didn't ask you last time don't know what they're missing out on .
    Dance with me too please when you've finished.

And keep your glasses on.

ZW

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    My personal experience is that someone with glasses on, particularly with a prescription for distance as strong as mine, is not only behind a barrier, but also has significantly smaller-seeming eyes, which just isn't as attractive.
    My prescription for contacts is -5.75 in both eyes without glasses or contacts I can't even read a book unless it is about 2 inches from my face.

I don't think I have ever really noticed whether or not someone is wearing glasses when asking for a dance and with those who I do recall wearing them I can't ever remember it posing a practical problem when dancing. If people are asking/not asking you to dance solely because of your appearance (assuming you were at a venue you have been to before and thus not facing the usual newbie unfamiliarity) you may be better off without those people as partners anyway .

I have only danced at the same place (MJC) as you once, Tessalicious and I recall first noticing how attractive you were during the daytime classes when, IIRC, you had your glasses on.

Robert

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    Ok, can I just say to all this talk of laser surgery - I'm having a strange reaction which combines :eeeew: (cos some of the descriptions can get really graphic) and :humph: (cos I can't get it yet).
    Can I just ask, have you actually had the tests to see if you can have it? There's alot of false stories that fly around that make people think they can't, when about 95% of people can. My prescription was -4.75 & -5.75, and a slight astigmatism in the left eye (which was marginally stronger than the right).

As for the queeziness, when you're talking about eyes, it can't help but be queezy, but please be very assured that in reality its not! Its a little frightening, yes, but that's only because of what you build it up into in your head. Its a little sore for a couple of hours, but I've felt worse, I didn't even take any pain killers, and its a little dry for about a week, but really no worse than wearing your lenses for too long. I used to have to set a reminder on my phone every 4 hours to make me put my drops in!

It really is just so easy, and 2 months later, I hardly even think about it, I've even stopped trying to push my glasses up my nose!

Also being of the visually impaired category, I dance in Contacts, basically because glasses come flying off my face everytime I do a double spin. I always feel I dance more cautiously with glasses in case they end up half way across the dance floor and get trodden on.

I generally haven't noticed a difference though whether wearing glasses or contacts in the number of dances I have.
    Last edited by KatieR; 5th-January-2006 at 05:47 PM.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by robd
    I don't think I have ever really noticed whether or not someone is wearing glasses when asking for a dance and with those who I do recall wearing them I can't ever remember it posing a practical problem when dancing. If people are asking/not asking you to dance solely because of your appearance (assuming you were at a venue you have been to before and thus not facing the usual newbie unfamiliarity) you may be better off without those people as partners anyway .

I have only danced at the same place (MJC) as you once, Tessalicious and I recall first noticing how attractive you were during the daytime classes when, IIRC, you had your glasses on.

Robert
    If you ask anyone if they noticed, they'd say they didn't, but its amazing what your sub-concious notices that you don't.

All I know (and a few others have said the same) is that when I went dancing with my glasses on, I got asked to dance alot less. Maybe its partly down to the fact that when I didn't have my glasses on, I felt more confident in myself, and so my persona was more approachable, its hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    All I know (and a few others have said the same) is that when I went dancing with my glasses on, I got asked to dance alot less.
    I'd agree with that - I wore my glasses last night 'cos my eyes were sore and getting dances was hard work - and this is the venue I taxi at so people know me!

EDIT: which is odd, considering I don't notice. Oh well.

Been dancing about 2 years ago, and have worn glasses for 20 years! Have not really noticed any difference in people asking me to dance or not if I am wearing them.

Found that as my dancing got better and I started to incorporate more intermediate moves into my freestyle that the glasses would quite often go flying (usually during a duck, or if the ladies chest/arm whipped past my face ) .

Looked at contact lenses, but didn't want to wear lenses all day as I work in AC offices (also I hated the idea of lossing a lense on the dance floor) . My opticion put me onto Ortho-K lenses which you wear at night and remove 1st thing in the morning, and have perfect vision all day. Works a treat!

Onkar

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I wear my glasses all the time except when i go dancing or for a night out. I'm too lazy to be bothered to put contacts in every day and they can get uncomfortable if you wear them for too long. I remember once wearing contacts to work and so many of the children asked where my glasses were! So i can't see that people wouldn't notice either way whether you were wearing them!
    I feel far more confident in contacts, glasses make me feel ugly.
    I noticed an improvement in my dancing instantly when i started wearing contacts. I presume because they gave me more confidence, felt a bit more attractive and i wasn't forever pushing them back up my nose!!
    I'd love surgery, but after thinking about it for 2 years, finally plucked up the courage to get it done. Only to be told that my prescription was too high (long sighted)

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    I can dance in glasses, but prefer not to - at a weekender, I'll wear glasses for the workshops so I can wear contacts for the marathon freestyles without too much pain (8 h really is my limit for the dailies, I can wear monthly contact lenses for longer but am too lazy to bother with the cleaning).

I don't really register whether someone is wearing glasses unless their glasses are "new" (to me because I'm used to seeing them in contact lenses, if not new to them). So glasses certainly wouldn't put me off dancing with someone.

As an aside, does anyone else ever find themselves trying to push the bridge of their glasses up when they are wearing contact lenses, or is that just me?
    I tend to do, more or less, the same as you.. I started dancing about 7 years ago.. in the beginning I only had glasses (worn them since 12 years of age) and found them to be pretty dangerous at times, especially as i was learning and apt to make plenty of mistakes!!

Over the years I came to the conclusion, that I would always want to keep dancing as part of my life... so investigated contact lenses. It didnt take me long to get the hang of it.. It changed everything and gave me so much more confidence and i was finally able to really get into it.. relax, have fun and not feel clumsy and unattractive (yes, I did feel a little paranoid..)

And yes, I do often push up my (imaginary) glasses, when I am wearing lenses and feel daft, its not just you!!

And no, I have never been put off dancing with anyone, regardless of them wearing glasses, etc., Wearing them myself, I know how it feels to be rejected, whether its to do with glasses or not. A lot of people I know quite well have looked at me twice when I have worn my glasses and some have even not recognised me at all... especially at a weekender, as I too wear my glasses during the day... that is until I pounce on them...

A few people have mentioned glasses flying off

I have worn glasses all my life and have sports ones with curly ends

Early on I tried dancing without them, but stopped after a gender mix up

Well he did have beautiful long blond hair

TiggsTours

I'm going to say something that is controversial here.

Saying you don't notice that someone is wearing glasses is like saying you don't notice the colour of their skin. Its *******s.

You notice, you notice if they are black/white, male/female, bald/blonde/brunette/redhead, fat/thin, have facial hair/don't wearing glasses/not. Period!

It doesn't necessarily mean it makes any difference to you, but you do notice!

However, scientists have proved, time and time again, that you sub-conciously judge people by the way they look. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you human!

Maybe that's true - but it *is* on a subconscious level and is no more a factor in my choice to dance with someone than is their skin colour i.e. makes no difference to my decision.

But I couldn't tell you whether some people wear glasses or not - because I've not thought about it on a conscious level :shrug:

Originally posted by Tessalicious
    …I felt that not only was I asked for dances less…
    Ahh Tessa, poor you.
    Never seen you in glasses, so my first thought when I read your post was that perhaps they didn’t recognise you.
    It worked for Clark Kent.

Originally posted by robd
    I don't think I have ever really noticed whether or not someone is wearing glasses …
    I agree with Robert.
    I also defend my right to say (without insult or recrimination) that I don’t notice when someone is wearing glasses, simply because I know that it’s true, just the same as I rarely notice beards.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now its just a week
    Had it done last April - and it was a month, due to the type of lenses I wore (gas-permeable). Other types of lenses are quicker for eyes to recover from.

Or starting at £395 per eye at Optical Express, who are the leading eye surgeons in this country!
    I'm pretty sure that Moorfields are the best, somehow. And, you know, it's your eyes. Having said that, it's now a standard procedure; I just wanted a bit of extra comfort blanket knowing that I was with the top people.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a whole thread about laser surgery here - lots of very useful information in it, I think.

My prescription was -8 / -9, Icey, so you've got a long way to go to beat that

If you've been keeping up with my blog through November and early December, you'll have read how I was forced to wear glasses as opposed to my normal contacts for around 5-6 weeks during this time. (I suppose you might also know this if I'd danced or chatted with you too.)

As well as having to wear glasses, the vision in my right eye was rather impaired. Generally a not-good state of affairs.

During this time I didn't feel as confident while dancing, I found myself limited in the moves I could do (in case I bashed my glasses,) and I found my connection with my partners reduced somewhat.

Simply put, I wasn't happy dancing in glasses, and was very glad to get back to contacts. I'm also considering having my eyes zapped sometime this year.

So, to answer your questions...

Are you drawn to people who aren’t wearing glasses more than those who are, and are you less likely to ask someone in glasses to dance?
    Yes. Though the last girl I went out with wears glasses, so it's not like it's a big deal. But it is a bit of an initial barrier.

When it comes to asking people to dance, I'm not sure it makes as much of a difference. I'm only aware of two girls who regularly (always?) wear glasses at my normal venue. I dance with them as much as anyone else. (In fact, probably more-so.)

But there must be more glasses wearers than just those two, so maybe the fact I don't know them is because I avoid dancing with them without realising... Or maybe I just don't notice this about them... Must try to pay attention next week...

As for people asking me, I have no awareness of being asked less, but then while in glasses my tendency to hide more and my reduced confidence probably reduced my chances. I tend to do most of the asking anyway I think...
    Would it make a difference to the way you perceive someone you know well if you saw them in glasses for the first time?
    Beyond the initial surprise, no, not really. Once you know the person the glasses don't make a difference.

During the month or so I was wearing glasses I got lots of reactions like "oh, new glasses?" to "oh, you really suit your glasses". Anything negative I guess wouldn't have been expressed direct to me though.
    Is this difference the same for men and women, or are men in glasses more acceptable than women?
    No idea. I don't tend to be attracted to, or want to dance with guys. I don't judge guys on whether they wear glasses or not.

I was surprised at the number of women who said they really liked my glasses – made me wonder...
    Do you find it hard to dance in glasses, or was this just me?
    Like I said above, yes!

The lack of connection, the poor peripheral vision, the being limited to what you can do in case you bash them...

All that said, after hurting my eyes (I think by over-wearing my contacts at a weekender) I'm going to take more care of them in future, while will mean more glasses-wearing for classes and workshops and such.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    I'd dance with you more with your glasses on. That librarian thing you've got going on works for me.

And T could pant softly under her breath: "your books are overdue and you will need to be disciplined" whilst dancing and loking over her spectacles in a stern manner.

Yep....it works for me. Where are you dancing the weekend T?????

Thread Information