View Poll Results: What is your sole of choice?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leather

6 23.08%
  • Suede

19 73.08%
  • Leather-Suede

4 15.38%
  • Socks

1 3.85%
  • Barefoot

1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leather or Suede?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Leather or Suede?

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    Heavenly also do mens shoes.
    Indeed they do, and gorgeous ones - but I've yet to see a bloke in heeled character shoes (or maybe I just dance in the wrong places )
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    Indeed they do, and gorgeous ones - but I've yet to see a bloke in heeled character shoes (or maybe I just dance in the wrong places )
    Should I see such a sight I will try to get photographic evidence for you.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

i have seen a couple in healed oxford style. You'll just need to come to Northern Ireland to see it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander
    (Useful link and info)
    Thanks for checking that.

Funnily enough, I've always thought that Frodo was a boy
    Still useful to see specifically what Yliander was referring to, so can look for the corresponding type of shoe.

According to this link http://www.ballroomdances.org/cheap.html, Capezio do make character shoes for men, which squares with drathzel's post.

... but I've yet to see a bloke in heeled character shoes ...
    While ladies character shoes seem to look fairly distinctive, I'm wondering if bloke's characters shoes would be so readily identifiable.

Heavenly Dance Shoes offer suede, leather or nubuck soles. I realise you're in Bristol but their website is very good and they will post your shoes out to you.
    Thanks, that's a good idea - get the type of sole you want, and they sell replacement leather soles.

The main problem, with Heavenly is that the shoes seem rather showy. Could easily stop by without going out of my way though, so I'll take a look at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Hard leather? Mine came from a shoe shop on the high street.
    Interesting. In earlier days dancing I could easily find shoes with a suitable co-efficient of friction, on the high street ( not really sure what they were made of ).

But when I've looked more recently, virtually all the soles have seemed rubbery and grip far too well. Maybe I need to look upmarket.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Try Supadance too - they have many styles of mens shoes - Latin ones mostly have higher heels.
    I've bought at least 4 pairs of shoes from them and they have been delivered within the week.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Try Supadance too - they have many styles of mens shoes - Latin ones mostly have higher heels.
    I've bought at least 4 pairs of shoes from them and they have been delivered within the week.
    Thanks - First shoe I looked at looks just the sort of thing ( apart from the leather styles ).

http://www.supadance.com/acatalog/Su..._6700_110.html.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo
    Thanks - First shoe I looked at looks just the sort of thing ( apart from the leather styles ).

I've got a pair of these (the first one, with the diamond pattern.)

They are lovely shoes, but I found they didn't give me very good arch support, and even with extra arch support I generally have sore feet if I dance in them for any length of time (though I fear that might be the case with any leather-soled shoes.)

So now I keep them for special occasions – most of the time I wear my Bloch's trainers.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by frodo

Wow, they're rather swish aren't they! I never thought I would see the day that I was admiring mens shoes

Wow, they're rather swish aren't they! I never thought I would see the day that I was admiring mens shoes
    I'm sure I remember you admiring the pair I had on at the BFG...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    i have seen a couple in healed oxford style. You'll just need to come to Northern Ireland to see it!!!
    Oh, I hadn't noticed! Point them out to me next time! I know some guys wear dance trainers and some wear latin or ballroom shoes.

I was dancing in suede soles on carpet on NYE. You would think that would be a disaster but it was very strange carpet, it was faster than some wooden floors I've danced on - perfectly easy to spin on (even double spins)! But for the first dance I still had my normal outdoor boots on - after one dance my feet and ankles were starting to hurt! I put my dance shoes on and was able to dance for several hours in perfect comfort. It reminded me why its worth investing in good dance shoes!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    After a speaking with a few people I have noticed everyone has a difference of opinion when it comes to the soles of their shoes.

Me personally, like a leather-suede, or suede sole - I can control my spins a lot easier and can do controlled slides. Leather is good except on a fast floor - , but still find I dont have as much control.

I stopped wearing leather soles at Twyford because I know that one of these days Im going to land in quite an unattractive way on the floor.

Thoughts?
    I think for most dance floors, suede soles are great. However, when it comes to slippy floors, neither suede or leather is suitable except of course ( I'll give you a tip) rub paraffin or castor oil under your shoes. A lot of professional ballroom dancers do it. It's pretty safe..it won't damage your shoes or the dance floor.

You can also have a very thin layer of rubber put onto the soles too. So there you go, 2 options on what to do if you'd rather not slip on the floor in a very unattractive way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    You would think that would be a disaster but it was very strange carpet, it was faster than some wooden floors I've danced on - perfectly easy to spin on (even double spins)!
    I've since found out that it is actually good quality carpet tiles. Anyone else ever danced on these?

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I've since found out that it is actually good quality carpet tiles. Anyone else ever danced on these?

Yep! Better than a wooden floor.

Thread Information