Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc could be bad for you?

Question Ceroc could be bad for you?

Hi Guys,

I know that we've touched on this before but...

...there's an article in this week's New Scientist about poor diet/fat and there's a wee checklist to see if you're addicted to fat. I'll copy it out below - read it with dancing in mind....

"Addictiveness has proved surprisingly hard to define and there are several different ways of judging whether a substance is addictive. One of the most widely used is known as the DSM-IV criteria, devised by the American Psychiatric Association. To be addictive, a substance has to meet at least three of the following criteria:

- Taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended

- Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control use

- a great deal of time spent seeking the substance out, using it or recovering from its effects

- important social, occupational or recreational activities given up or reduced because of substance use

- continued use despite knowledge of harmful consequences

- increased tolerance with use

- withdrawal symptoms"

Should ceroc (modern jive) therefore come with a health warning??

J

-Taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended

- a great deal of time spent seeking the substance out, using it or recovering from its effects

- important social, occupational or recreational activities given up or reduced because of substance use

- increased tolerance with use

- withdrawal symptoms"
    well the 4 above are true so I guess ceroc is definitely addictive, though harmful to health is another matter.

Not all addictions are harmful to health take gambling as an example, it's only harmful to health when debt collectors break your legs.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by PeterL
    well the 4 above are true so I guess ceroc is definitely addictive, though harmful to health is another matter.

Not all addictions are harmful to health take gambling as an example, it's only harmful to health when debt collectors break your legs.
    you've just dismissed the genuine problems of Gambling Addicts with one swift sweep of your er..keyboard. Its VERY harmful to health - through stress for the individual and family members to the addict possibly commiting crimes for money to feed his habit. To trivilaise it in this calous way is frankly disgusting and Im ashamed to be associated with you.

Im joking - but you have occasionaly respond in such a negative fashion to other posts, that I just thought id get you back

B.T.C.
    well, isn't it called dance addiction ?

I was an addict ......but I am recovering and I even missed a class this week ! ........................ and I could give up any time I wanted to; just that I don't really want to....yet

But unlike some addciitons it is good for you - isn't it !? Healthy, relatively smoke free, sociable and of course ...fun. What more can you ask for ????

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    you've just dismissed the genuine problems of Gambling Addicts with one swift sweep of your er..keyboard. Its VERY harmful to health - through stress for the individual and family members to the addict possibly commiting crimes for money to feed his habit. To trivilaise it in this calous way is frankly disgusting and Im ashamed to be associated with you.

Im joking - but you have occasionaly respond in such a negative fashion to other posts, that I just thought id get you back
    I am a licenced croupier/inspector, so I do know a little something about gambling and gambling addicts. 99% of people addicted to gambling manage it in a controlled manner, just because they control there addiction doesn't mean it is not an addiction.
    I agree a minority go to far and as a licenced inspector I was trained to watch for this and it was policy to speak to the person and advice that they get some help.

I agree with what you had said but was trying to keep it lighthearted.

Originally posted by Bill
    But unlike some addciitons it is good for you - isn't it !? Healthy, relatively smoke free, sociable and of course ...fun. What more can you ask for ????
    But what about the people who abandon their partners a couple of nights a week to go out dancing? What about the money we all spend on travelling the country to get our next "fix"? What about the alternative social events we've all turned down just so we can go to ceroc? Then there are the peripheral issues of the bags of chips at the kebab shop just down from Marco's....

Jayne
    (aka pseudo-devil's advocate)

Sal
    And how about the injuries we have all sustained, or the strained muscles after hours dancing. My legs are killing me this morning, but that may have more to do with the fact I fell down the stairs on the way to ceroc last night! One could argue if I was not addicted, I would not have been in such a haste to get there!

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Jayne
    Then there are the peripheral issues of the bags of chips at the kebab shop just down from Marco's....
    People eat chpis after dancing ?

So not such a healthy pursuit?????? A glass or two of wine does me ! But the pount of turning down other invitations is actually a serious point ! I know a few folk who almost gave up on me becaus eevery weekend was already booked daning here or Edinburgh or somewhere ! A 'window' was rare and just as happens after a separation or divorce friends can seems to drift away so perhaps a balance is required.

But if you didn't travel to Ceroc dances wouldn't you spend the money on other less meaningful items and you do keep fit so not a bad addiction I'd suggest.

Just not enough time ! I was amazesd at how many women I didn't manage to dance with last night at the Beach Ballroom. Didn't even know some folk were there till the lights went up at the end ....and I did keep wondering round the tables..... honets !

But a good night and explains why we are addicted

Commercial Operator
    I am a licenced croupier/inspector, so I do know a little something about gambling and gambling addicts.
    You're a croupier? I can definitely see you doing that!

Nice Latin btw....

Originally posted by Lindsay
    You're a croupier? I can definitely see you doing that!

Nice Latin btw....
    In a past life but still licenced.

Re: Ceroc could be bad for you?

Originally posted by Jayne

I'll vouch for the "recovering from its effects" bit. Danced 13 hours between Friday night and Sunday afternoon, including an Advanced Routine workshop with the lovely & talented pioneer of Ceroc in Australia, Nicky ("Ruthless") Haslem .

It's now Tuesday morning, and my body is still wracked by quite considerable pain. Got teased at work yesterday 'cos I walked in like I spent time in a jail cell with a big hairy tattooed bloke over the weekend.

And yet, I can't wait to try out our new Ceroc venue tomorrow... and have signed up for extra practice on Friday and Saturday. Why?! Why?! Am I stoopid or somethin'? Why?!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Re: Ceroc could be bad for you?

Originally posted by Ronde!

And yet, I can't wait to try out our new Ceroc venue tomorrow... and have signed up for extra practice on Friday and Saturday. Why?! Why?! Am I stoopid or somethin'? Why?!
    No - you sound absolutely perfect to me!

Any chance of you coming over for the next Beach Ballroom party?

The Oracle

Re: Re: Ceroc could be bad for you?

Originally posted by Ronde!
    Got teased at work yesterday 'cos I walked in like I spent time in a jail cell with a big hairy tattooed bloke over the weekend.
    So you have met Gus then...

Re: Re: Re: Ceroc could be bad for you?

Originally posted by DavidB
    So you have met Gus then...
    And you prmosed you wouldn't tell...

Well ... joking aside, I remember knocking around with a grooup of dancers in the East Muds ... but the ONLY coversation was about Ceroc ...gets a bit tedious after a while.. .

Funny really .. cause a few threads on this forum have proven what an amazing life people have led outside Ceroc ... so why does Ceroc tend to dominate coversations??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ceroc could be bad for you?

Originally posted by Gus

Funny really .. cause a few threads on this forum have proven what an amazing life people have led outside Ceroc ... so why does Ceroc tend to dominate coversations??
    It is always easier to talk about a subject you have in common.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ceroc could be bad for you?

It is always easier to talk about a subject you have in common.
    Illiud Latine dici non potest

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

re: re: re: your boat gently down the stream

I think Forum addiction i more worrying - I made the mistake of comparing myself to TheTramp and thinking I wasnt that bad .

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ceroc could be bad for you?

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Illiud Latine dici non potest
    very profound but
    why would I want to say that in Latin??

The Forum Legend
    I made the mistake of comparing myself to TheTramp
    Hmmmm.....??

Steve

B.T.C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ceroc could be bad for you?

Originally posted by Gus
    Not talking about me then ............. it could be amazing but I'd have to make it all up

Ah well........... at least I found dancing. What were we saying about dancing !!!! I suppose it is the thing that draws us together and methinks Mr Gus here can hardly complain of others talking about dancing. Last time were together I couldn't get a word in cus you were talking about dance all night

See you in 2 weeks............ which given the absence of practice is when I'm likely to see both my double trouble partners again !

Thread Information