View Poll Results: Smoking in MJ venues?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I haven't been to a venue that allows smoking in the same room as dancing for months

17 58.62%
  • I think that the forum HAS had an influence regarding smoking and dancing

9 31.03%
  • I think the forum has had NO influence regarding smoking and dancing

5 17.24%
  • I've been to a venue that allows smoking in the last few months.

8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did the Forum Make a difference to smoking at MJ venues?

Re: Did the Forum Make a difference to smoking at MJ venues?

Originally posted by Piglet
    First guess would be Richard, then Ronald then Reginald
    Originally posted by The Tramp
    Robert?
    Rupert?
    Roy?
    Rudolf ?
    Romeo ?
    Rambo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet
    So what's the R for then?
    Righteous! (Like in Finding Nemo )
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee
    Rudolf ?
    Romeo ?
    Rambo ?
    Would that be someone with a drink problem who makes love AND war??

Rocky???

I've got a real life Rocky in my family - married one of my cousins in the USA.
    ain't they just quaint??

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    when you go of on a RANT like this i would say it does more harm then good and although I think the forum had some influence (hence my vote) things like this dont help

At your venue if you saw a smoker in the car park smoking would you go up to him/her and tell them to F*** o** and not come back

There are as you know a number of smokers on this forum
    This is Stewart 38's opinion - and it's completely wrong. Maybe he's disagreeing with me because I picked out his lack of ironing skill

If I was running a car park and that car park was a non-smoking multi-story car park or was on a non-smoking site I would ask that person smoking to stop smoking. I wouldn't use the bad language mentioned by S38 because I would be talking to one of my customers - all I would be doing was informing them of the terms and conditions which applied. However, if they failed to comply with the terms and conditions once they had been reminded of them I would ask them to leave - even then I would be polite.

There are a number of smokers on this forum. They have shown us that they are the polite kind who would be mortified if they thought they'd caused another dancer to have an asthma attack or contributed to an illness that shortened their lives. There are other smokers who seem to feel that part of their freedom has been removed if they can't smoke where and when they like - these inconsiderate smokers forget that the rest of us think we should have the freedom to breathe air that does not contain substances harmful to health.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    There are a number of smokers on this forum. They have shown us that they are the polite kind who would be mortified if they thought they'd caused another dancer to have an asthma attack or contributed to an illness that shortened their lives.
    I *think* that Stewart (in his madness, right enough) was only trying to put the opposite opinion across. I have to agree with you, Andy, that the majority of smokers in a venue in Aberdeen or anywhere else I have been in Scotland are very considerate people and I take my hat off to them all.

Of course I could be wrong about Stewart, but hey, he's just repped me 5 points so I think I might be in love (always knew I was easy but never realised how easy!)

(Of course - this all might just be the Bailey's talking - can you all remind me next year not to buy any until AFTER Christmas when it is so shockingly cheap! Many thanks, from one of the meanest Aberdonians to live on this earth)

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Would that be someone with a drink problem who makes love AND war??
    Nice one Tramp, I like it.

Romulus ?
    Remus ?
    Rufus ?

I *think* that Stewart (in his madness, right enough) was only trying to put the opposite opinion across. I have to agree with you, Andy, that the majority of smokers in a venue in Aberdeen or anywhere else I have been in Scotland are very considerate people and I take my hat off to them all.

Of course I could be wrong about Stewart, but hey, he's just repped me 5 points so I think I might be in love (always knew I was easy but never realised how easy!)

(Of course - this all might just be the Bailey's talking - can you all remind me next year not to buy any until AFTER Christmas when it is so shockingly cheap! Many thanks, from one of the meanest Aberdonians to live on this earth)
    Well looks like they can now only smoke at home in front of their kids including tommy who is 5 and looks at mummy smoking ,with tears (caused by the smoking) running down his eyes

she says to sweet little Tommy "she cant no longer have a quick fag in an open multi story car park because it been banned"

ps 5 points seems to have got you excited what would 15 points do

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Well looks like they can now only smoke at home in front of their kids including tommy who is 5 and looks at mummy smoking ,with tears (caused by the smoking) running down his eyes
    Hey you just bummed out Stewart - pity you used the name Tommy! Cos that's what my boyfriend used to be called when at school -now he's just sexy Tom! And thank God he's an ex-smoker!!

Why dont the irate non smokers just not go to the offending venue and also phone or email the franchisee or owner and tell them why they're losing customers,they might listen especially if a few or lots do this and who knows maybe some action might be taken.

It's obvious CeeCee, it's got to be Rumpelstiltskin.

I don't think the forum has had any impact at all. I would put the reduction in smoking venues down to change in public opinion and Government tub-thumping.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    It's obvious CeeCee, it's got to be Rumpelstiltskin.
    Does this mean you get to keep your first-born child now?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

originally posted by LMC
    It's obvious CeeCee, it's got to be Rumpelstiltskin
    brilliant!

Ruairi ?
    Rory ?
    Ruaridh ?

originally posted by LMC
    Government tub-thumping
    ???

Wellll... I can't call it "threat of legislation" as the Government doesn't seem to be able to make its mind up (and is probably terrified of losing billions in tax revenue ) - but all the discussion of whether or not to follow our Gaelic cousins' lead (on both sides of the St George's Channel) has definitely had an impact IMO.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee
    brilliant!

Ruairi ?
    Rory ?
    Ruaridh ?
    I know the truth!

Will sell out Clive for rep....

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    I should try being reasonably modest about this although you might have been one, very minor, influence in my decision to quit smoking at Easter.
    Well done Whitebeard

I think I’m at the right stage in my ‘recovery’ to share with you how the forum has had a small but significant impact on smoking (in case you’re bored):

I started smoking when I was 11 years old (used to steal them from my mum and the local shopkeeper would sell them individually to us for 10p each). Peer pressure from my friends stopped me for a while in my mid-teenage years (they were good girls mostly). However being around the ballet scene (we were encouraged to smoke by the way) and on starting university I ended up smoking between 20 and 30 per day. So all in all I reckon about 14 years ‘all told’.

As the weight piled on from stopping ballet training and being a student (pints and fast food) I was certainly not going to give up smoking! In fact the more people chastised me about it the more I would dig my heels in.

On starting Ceroc in 2003 I found that I lost weight, but I would still go to the corner of a venue to have a fag, then outside when the bans started coming in. I was aware on some level how the smell of smoke etc might impact upon fellow dancers, but tried not to give it much thought as this would challenge my ‘please like me’ schema.

Then I read some of the posts on the forum and it became clear that the two things were not compatible – I can’t expect people to tolerate me smoking if I want them to a) like me, and b) enjoy dancing with me. In fact on one night out last year one man said “we HATE you people” to me, and I was truly shocked.

I stopped smoking at the beginning of November, have allowed myself a few lapses (few and far between) and feel much better (if a little fatter).

Although I would have hated to admit it last year, a little chastisement can go a long way.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca
    I stopped smoking at the beginning of November, have allowed myself a few lapses (few and far between) and feel much better (if a little fatter).
    That's great. And trust me. It really doesn't show.....

Well done Rebecca - I gave up smoking 1 July last year, so I've been there too.

Saying "We hate people like you" is a thoroughly vile thing for that man to say - "Dislike the behaviour, not the person" principle. I am the worst zeal-of-the-converted rabid anti-smoking person of my acquaintance - but I would never cut someone off my friends list or refuse to dance with them on that basis (although I would be perfectly comfortable with telling them how horrible they smell )

Just remember how much richer you are, how much nicer you smell, and (the big one for me, 'cos I'm shallow) how much you are saving your skin!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca
    On starting Ceroc in 2003 I found that I lost weight, but I would still go to the corner of a venue to have a fag, then outside when the bans started coming in. I was aware on some level how the smell of smoke etc might impact upon fellow dancers, but tried not to give it much thought as this would challenge my ‘please like me’ schema.

Then I read some of the posts on the forum and it became clear that the two things were not compatible
    Well done Rebecca! That's a great story on the whole - not so good about the comment you got - and although I do windmill impressions I'm not brave enough (or nasty enough? Might be debatable) to go up to someone and be so brash as that. Have a hug from me

By the way Franck - I reckon (with Rebecca's permission) you could sell this post to the Scottish Health Authority for them to use in their "Help to Stop Smoking Ads" and you'd get a free ceroc advert too! (Maybe pretend Rebecca's a man though cos more men are always a good thing )

By the way Franck - I reckon (with Rebecca's permission) you could sell this post to the Scottish Health Authority for them to use in their "Help to Stop Smoking Ads" and you'd get a free ceroc advert too! (Maybe pretend Rebecca's a man though cos more men are always a good thing )
    Ooer, I'm no example to anyone. The press would surely then discover all of my other dirty habits

Thanks for the support though

P.S. I no longer take my (new temple-like) self into said-man's venue, so in my own passive-aggressive way I feel victorious

Thread Information