Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Goldfish Disposal

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)

Re: Goldfish Disposal

Quote Originally Posted by fletch

Cook it for S38 tea, i'm sure fish is on the 'plan'
    cook it for boxing day lunch
    make a change to cold turkey

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

If you are going to hit it over the head, crumble half a valium into the water first - or at least pour in a double brandy. That should take the edge off the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    If you are going to hit it over the head, crumble half a valium into the water first - or at least pour in a double brandy. That should take the edge off the pain.
    She'll need the other half to get over killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    She'll need the other half to get over killing it.
    I think she should take the other half anyway

Has the fish (and the hamster for that matter) survived Christmas Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni
    after my episode with the turkey I was wishing that I had offered to take the blooming fish off her hands . . . but then I found a joint of pork so realised i didnt need it

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni

Fish, Hamsters, Cats and Ginger Weets all survived Christmas Day. Now what to cook for New Years Day

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    My sister has this very sick large goldfish with tooth. Its about 15 years old now and has had a really good life. I think its swim bladder has gone as it hangs on to dear life to the pump before floating to the top at a very odd angle. She feels it is suffering. She phoned the vet and he said not to bring it there. So what should she do?

There aren't many certified 'humane' ways of putting a fish to sleep at home. As vets we have access to drugs that will do the job for us but at home you don't have these at your disposal and the other methods (aptly called 'blunt trauma' and 'decapitation') would just be far too traumatic for a fish owner to perform. So here's what most fish owners do. They purchase clove oil from their local health store (usually in the aromatherapy section). At a dose of 2-3 ml clove oil per gallon of water, it's lethal. Problem that most fish owners have is that clove oil is an oil and will not dissolve properly in water. So what you can do to disperse the clove oil properly is to first dissolve the 2-3ml in about 8ml of vodka, then to add it to the gallon of water. Leave the fish in there for a couple of hours, whilst you will probably see the effects within minutes (usually very little struggling) because fish are cold blooded it does take a while for their brain to cease functioning so some owners will make doubly sure that their betta is indeed dead and not just deepy anesthetized by taking their beta out and then popping it in a plastic bag and freezing it...just remember to take him out after. Others will just leave the fish in the solution overnight and then perform the burial in the morning. I've known some fish owners who opt to decapitate or administer a sharp blow to the head of the fish after the clove oil treatment but not many are game to do this - it's too close to home so most would opt for the freezing or leaving it overnight options.

Hope this helps. None of them are particularly nice things to have to do, but they do work. The clove oil and vodka one is probably the best, but simply frezing them is also fine as they are cold blooded so they simply slow down until they stop. As all their cues are taken from the external tempertature it is unlikely that they notice what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfTheFiles
    There aren't many certified 'humane' ways of putting a fish to sleep at home. As vets we have access to drugs that will do the job for us but at home you don't have these at your disposal and the other methods (aptly called 'blunt trauma' and 'decapitation') would just be far too traumatic for a fish owner to perform. So here's what most fish owners do. They purchase clove oil from their local health store (usually in the aromatherapy section). At a dose of 2-3 ml clove oil per gallon of water, it's lethal. Problem that most fish owners have is that clove oil is an oil and will not dissolve properly in water. So what you can do to disperse the clove oil properly is to first dissolve the 2-3ml in about 8ml of vodka, then to add it to the gallon of water. Leave the fish in there for a couple of hours, whilst you will probably see the effects within minutes (usually very little struggling) because fish are cold blooded it does take a while for their brain to cease functioning so some owners will make doubly sure that their betta is indeed dead and not just deepy anesthetized by taking their beta out and then popping it in a plastic bag and freezing it...just remember to take him out after. Others will just leave the fish in the solution overnight and then perform the burial in the morning. I've known some fish owners who opt to decapitate or administer a sharp blow to the head of the fish after the clove oil treatment but not many are game to do this - it's too close to home so most would opt for the freezing or leaving it overnight options.

Hope this helps. None of them are particularly nice things to have to do, but they do work. The clove oil and vodka one is probably the best, but simply frezing them is also fine as they are cold blooded so they simply slow down until they stop. As all their cues are taken from the external tempertature it is unlikely that they notice what is happening.
    find it easier to mix vodka with coke it dont take as long to mix and doesnt seem half as lethal when you drink it . . .
    . . . come on you dont waste vodka

Quote Originally Posted by thewacko
    . . . come on you dont waste vodka
    8ml's is hardly wasting it. I think that post was well thought out and extremely helpful, not that I have animals.

Wondering if it would work on men?

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    8ml's is hardly wasting it. I think that post was well thought out and extremely helpful, not that I have animals.

Wondering if it would work on men?
    8ml not wasting!!!!!!!!!!!!

might work on men, at least get us pi**ed quicker

not that I drink that much anyway

Opinions seem to be really varied on the freezer method - some sources say humane, some say it's cruel.

I'd go for the clove & alcohol option - at least it would die happy - and 8 ml is only about a 3rd of a single shot, I'm sure you could be that generous...

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    - and 8 ml is only about a 3rd of a single shot, I'm sure you could be that generous...
    thats a whole gulp

Great advice from LordoftheFiles - copied and pasted that for future reference.

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously, but a website I found helpful when our fish was poorly a few years ago was:

http://www.petlibrary.com/goldfish/symptoms.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    Fish, Hamsters, Cats and Ginger Weets all survived Christmas Day. Now what to cook for New Years Day

How is the fish now ??

Given fish is now dead how much water would you need to add to pure vodka to make ice lolly using a domestic freezer ?

------------------------------

80 proof vodka will freeze at approximately -26.95C or -16.51F. 100 proof vodka will freeze at approximately -40.43C or -40.78F (for why these numbers are approximate read the full post). comment to the second post on vodka freezing, the temp at which 70 proof vodka freezes is approximately -21.77C or -7.19F.

------------------------

Hi Dee, I'm not clever enough to link this, but thought if I posted on it, you would find it again.

Thread Information