Thread: USA Web hosting

Blog Entries

USA Web hosting

Can anyone recommend a decent USA-based web hosting company? I've googled, and things look much of a muchness.

I need someone who'll provide a package including a shopping cart & secure credit card processing. Nothing too flash.

It's for a South Caroline-based bulb company, just in case you were interested. (Tulips, not lightbulbs).

Re: USA Web hosting

I can't recommend a particular provider, but what I would recommend is that you go for one that does a reseller package. That gives you so much greater scope for other things...

On your specific requirements...

Some hosting companies provide a package called "fantastico", which includes all the cgi & php goodness you'd ever want, including three different e-commerce options.

I'd out-source the credit card stuff to someone like worldpay, which is supported by quite a few of the popular e-commerce systems.

Let me know if you find somewhere good...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Some hosting companies provide a package called "fantastico", which includes all the cgi & php goodness you'd ever want, including three different e-commerce options.
    Oooh! That looks cute. I think I need to get Jon to add it to my normal hosting...

I can't recommend a particular provider, but what I would recommend is that you go for one that does a reseller package. That gives you so much greater scope for other things...

On your specific requirements...

I'd out-source the credit card stuff to someone like worldpay, which is supported by quite a few of the popular e-commerce systems.

Let me know if you find somewhere good...
    Hi Ducasi,

is there a hosting solution that allows me to select a range of applicaitons I want to run? I am thinking of:

Picture Album management - a bit like Flikr
    Blogging
    FTP for large file transfer
    Web site authoring tools
    Simple content upload and management

and has a Web management interface that makes the hardware and OS platform "invisible"?

Thanks

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    Hi Ducasi,

is there a hosting solution that allows me to select a range of applicaitons I want to run? I am thinking of:

Picture Album management - a bit like Flikr
    Blogging
    FTP for large file transfer
    Web site authoring tools
    Simple content upload and management

and has a Web management interface that makes the hardware and OS platform "invisible"?

Thanks

Clive
    Hi Clive,

Most hosting companies use "cPanel" as the web management interface. I personally think it is awful, but probably the best there is. It pretty much makes the hardware and OS invisible.

As I mentioned above, the "Fantastico De Lux" package then add loads more applications which you can install at the touch of a button. This combined with the more limited range of applications that cPanel offers would easily meet all your requirements.

There's loads of providers that offer this combination. I''m not in a position to make a recommendation. (At least, not yet – maybe if I ever find one that I like myself...)

You might want to start here... Wouldn't have thought this is anywhere near an exhaustive list though...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Hi Clive,

As I mentioned above, the "Fantastico De Lux" package then add loads more applications which you can install at the touch of a button. This combined with the more limited range of applications that cPanel offers would easily meet all your requirements.
    << snip >>
    Looks good.

I just entered "Fantastico De Lux" under google and the couple of hosters seemed to offer the range of applications that are relevant to me.

I will let you know how I get on with the selection.

Clive

Thread Information