Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are teachers responsible for pupils' bad habits?

Commercial Operator

Re: Are teachers responsible for pupil's bad habits?

I can't take it any more.
    I've tried to ignore it but I just can't.
    And I'm someone who had to re-take his English 'O' level.
    Can somebody please correct the spelling and punctuation of the title of this tread.

p.s. Am I turning into ChrisA?*

*And there's more evidence, my hair's going grey - at least I haven't started wearing black vests

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Are teachers responsable for pupils bad habbits?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    There are a good majority of people in any class who don't really pay attention to what the teacher is saying. These people aren't aware of the problems. Aren't listening to what the teacher is saying. And aren't really that interested in learning to improve.
    The teacher can only say so much - and if the students aren't listening, there's little the teacher can do about it. We've got some right rowdy people in Finchley, for example...

But this is where I think there's an opportunity for "intermediate-oriented" taxi dancers; at the moment, taxi dancers are mainly supposed to focus on beginners, but I'd like to see more taxi dancer resources oriented towards style advice for intermediates.

Showing is much harder to ignore than telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Can somebody please correct the spelling and punctuation of the title of this tread.
    Whew, glad someone broke before me
    Although I was thinking of a pun on the lines of "unusual hobbits", which is now ruined

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Whew, glad someone broke before me
    Although I was thinking of a pun on the lines of "unusual hobbits", which is now ruined
    I was thinking of the clothes worn by monks

But did you correct it in the heading of your own message?

Re: Are teachers responsible for pupils' bad habits?

But did you correct it in the heading of your own message?
    Not that my grammar is perfect, but haven't you got the apostrophe in the wrong place?

Re: Are pendants responsible for the potential proliferation of rabbits?

I dunno, I think the spelling and grammar are so "Gadget" that it's cute

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    Not that my grammar is perfect, but haven't you got the apostrophe in the wrong place?
    Yes, you're right, it's not perfect

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    I dunno, I think the spelling and grammar are so "Gadget" that it's cute
    It might be cute in a post but it's annoying in a thread heading.

And, LMC, are you saying you're reading Gadget's posts out of turn? I thought Gus was down on the rota as the one to do that today. It's not your turn until mid January

I haven't actually read the replies to this thread but my opinion is YES, teachers are responsible for how their punters dance. You obviously can't draw a straight line because some people are just thick and don't get any hints, but in general you will notice if teachers emphasise on keeping bad habits at a minimum.

Re: Are teachers responsable for pupils' bad habits?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    But this is where I think there's an opportunity for "intermediate-oriented" taxi dancers; at the moment, taxi dancers are mainly supposed to focus on beginners, but I'd like to see more taxi dancer resources oriented towards style advice for intermediates.
    Isn't this the link back to "Long-term intermediates"? Or at least people who know what they are doing and can show the dancers they are dancing with how it should be done?

I don't think that there is any intermediate class I have been to in the last few years where at least one partner hasn't said that they are glad they have someone that knows what they should be doing! ({} Normally I then screw it up )
    Should teachers pay more attention to the people that want to learn in the hope that they pass on the knowledge and help those that don't?

Do the pupils not have some responsability to each other? In helping a fellow pupil to become a better dancer, I am ensuring that my dances with them will be better. Should I be doing this, or is it the teacher's responsability?

My dogs' have done their best to eliminate this problem, but there's still at least one black rabbit still chewing away at the primroses I'm trying to establish in my grasslands.

So what's going to happen in the Spring breeding season, is the 'black' gene now firmly established in the locality or will it prove to have been a one season wonder. If I remember, I'll keep you posted.

Re: Are teachers responsable for pupils bad habbits?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper

I've seen the same thing ..... (bouncing hands) ..... at weekenders and from guest teachers, so I'm pretty sure it's not a local thing. I think it comes from the need to emphasise the beat in their bodies to compensate visually for the lack of a musical beat.
    Possibly I'm seeing something that's not actually there. Wasn't someone saying something about poor observational skills?
    Maybe I'm becoming ultra sensitive, but I echo Martin in seeing the same sort of thing at 50% of the Ceroc scene round here. And, surprisingly, I saw it again when revisiting Jazzjive.

The 'fusion' I aim for incorporates a goodly proportion of the smoothness and interpretation of ballroom foxtrot.

It's not your turn until mid January
    ... 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Do the pupils not have some responsability to each other? In helping a fellow pupil to become a better dancer, I am ensuring that my dances with them will be better. Should I be doing this, or is it the teacher's responsability?
    It's their responsibility, no-one else's. Perhaps they don't want to become better dancers.

In intermediate classes, I don't "help" unless I'm asked to now - the last time I volunteered something useful my partner walked off on me. (I said "don't let go" to a guy who was struggling - because he kept letting go - with a complex pretzel variation which I had 'got', having been through it with a couple of good leads.) So now I grin and bear it if someone is leading moves wrong, unless they are hurting me or ask - and if I don't know either, I'll tell them so.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    In intermediate classes, I don't "help" unless I'm asked to now
    Again, I think that this is a big difference between leads and followers: I can "Help" followers without uttering a word or making it condescending {well, I hope I can; I certainly try }

I am in the class, I can do the moves, I can lead the follower and help them through the move. I take an active interest in every partner I have: showing them how I think they should follow - whether they take up on what I am showing them is up to them. If I was doing the move mechanically {as it is done from stage}, in exactly the timing it "should" be done; I doubt that I would be as helpfull to the follower.

Is this just confusing them? should I just stick to the mechanical automon motion and timing?
    Personally I feel that as an experienced dancer, if I can help and "give back" to the venue, the dance,.. then I will.

I actually rather enjoy guys doing this, 'cos it tells me whether I'm following the lead rather than the teacher. But I think it depends on the follower: if they are really unconfident (whatever their level), then IMO leads should lead the move as taught. Although if I'm leading an obviously experienced woman who is being excessively "helpful" then I sometimes deliberately wait and do the move/s a beat or so behind - telling them gently "wait for it" - with an angelic smile

I think saftey aspects & stuff like gripping should be reitrated in the class; H from SWest tends to look at certain indivs when making a point sometimes - I think that works;
    G

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W
    I think saftey aspects & stuff like gripping should be reitrated in the class; H from SWest tends to look at certain indivs when making a point sometimes - I think that works;
    G
    Perhaps his teaching style suits a smaller class. However, having been to his large Cheltenham class, I've encountered a larger proportion of grippers & dippers. I doubt his eyesight's good enough to see some of the disasters happening at the back of the room.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Perhaps his teaching style suits a smaller class. However, having been to his large Cheltenham class, I've encountered a larger proportion of grippers & dippers. I doubt his eyesight's good enough to see some of the disasters happening at the back of the room.
    I have this very thing too. I have a class that usually has 3 rows of 4 couples. I can pick on people (read individually coach ) to my hearts content sometimes I even get down off the stage and swap partners if I see a couple having difficulties. I also have a large class where this doesn't work because of the number of people doing the lesson. I have to talk in general principles and I think we do get a few bouncing hands and the occasional gripper But I do mark them out for later individual attention where I can.

I think certain things can be seen as being a teachers responsibility, but not everything. To clarify, if a teacher persistently talks about not dancing with a shaped lead hand and utilising a more finger-tip-type-touch, then is it really their fault if people in the line's don't listen and continue to grip on for grim death? The people will only listen and learn if they want to. Some folks just want to come along and dance and so you might as well be peeing in the wind to get through to them. However, if a teacher does a demo and then constantly overturns at the end to reflect 'their style' then I reckon they are then responsibly for their class all overturning. Without doubt, what people see happening on stage they try to reciprocate (sp?) on the floor, be it all good or all bad, in effect learning a teacher's bad habits!

To a degree, I think the teacher needs to demo and dance on stage completely 'style-less' unless doing a style oriented class, in order for the students to really see exaclty what they're s'posed to do in a clear concise way.

j.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    To a degree, I think the teacher needs to demo and dance on stage completely 'style-less' unless doing a style oriented class, in order for the students to really see exaclty what they're s'posed to do in a clear concise way.
    Isn't that what the CTA course teaches you, to have no style?

Thread Information