Thread: Tipping!

Tipping!

We had a debate in our Office yesterday about this subject and it seem that tipping is on the way out - so, what do most people do nowadays???

I always tip my hairdresser, but the Men in my Office don't tip theirs. Also, what to do about beauticians? I would assume that the same 10% rule should apply? Then what about deliverymen, hotel porters and of course, waiters and waitresses?

Answers please - oh and negative rep to the first one who responds anything on the lines of 'Silverlady in the 3 O'Clock at Kempton Park'!

Elaine

Re: Tipping!

I danced with lots of ladies this year and did not get a single tip

Not even at the Christmas ball

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove
    I danced with lots of ladies this year and did not get a single tip
    It could be worse - I got loads of tips this year:
    • Stop bouncing your hands.
    • Start bouncing your hands.
    • It helps if you try to dance on the beat.
    • Perhaps you should consider an alternative pastime.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB
    We had a debate in our Office yesterday about this subject and it seem that tipping is on the way out - so, what do most people do nowadays???
    Was talking about this yesterday.

I have quite the opposite experience in those parts of London I frequent. Between 10% to 15% "Service Charge" is automatically and explicitely added to a restaurant bill - and the credit card slip contains a space to add "Tip". I don't trust the owners of the places that give me such credit card payment slips. I fill in zero in "Tip" and give cash (if appropriate) to the person who provided the service. Of course, the owner may turn the person upside-down to shake the tip out of the servers pockets - but I have done the best I can to get the tip to the person who earned it.

If service has been really bad I call the manager and say I don't want to pay the service charge as I didn't receive any. If I'm not getting appropriate attention during a meal I will get up and go to the waiter /waitress and ask. That puts the wind up 'em.

I always tip my hairdresser, but the Men in my Office don't tip theirs.
    Academic for some of us my dear.
    Also, what to do about beauticians? I would assume that the same 10% rule should apply? Then what about deliverymen, hotel porters and of course, waiters and waitresses?
    You forgot butlers and footmen.

If someone provides me with a service and that service was beyond what I would expect them to do as a necessary part of providing that service to me, and that extra was worthwhile to me - then I tip. Otherwise no tip.

I know, I know these people rely on tips to make up their wages - but I don't see why we should subsidize the under-payment of these people by their employers so they slip under all sorts of tax and NI thresholds / nets.
    Answers please - oh and negative rep to the first one who responds anything on the lines of 'Silverlady in the 3 O'Clock at Kempton Park'!
    Have I done enough for neg rep

Clive

best tip for me is............. ALWAYS ALWAYS take an umbrella when its raining!

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    You forgot butlers and footmen.

Clive
    That's because I haven't seen a panto for years........

Have I done enough for neg rep

Clive
    Nope! But I'll give you some positive rep for a good answer about the hairdresser!

Elaine

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

This thread just reminded me of an hilarious scene in Reservoir Dogs where the group go for breakfast and they discuss tipping.

Being a Tarantino dialog, is not suitable for the forum so I've linked it to an external file.

WARNING: if you are easily offended don't read it! Tipping discussion

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have quite the opposite experience in those parts of London I frequent. Between 10% to 15% "Service Charge" is automatically and explicitely added to a restaurant bill - and the credit card slip contains a space to add "Tip".
    I think that's been on the increase this year, because of the "chip and PIN" thing - at least, that's the excuse - in that customers are apparently less willing/able to tip with the machine than they were to add a gratuity to a signed receipt.

If service has been really bad I call the manager and say I don't want to pay the service charge as I didn't receive any. If I'm not getting appropriate attention during a meal I will get up and go to the waiter /waitress and ask. That puts the wind up 'em.
    Here's a tip - never annoy the waiter during a meal, wait until afterwards to whinge, or at least when all the food / drink has been deliered to your table

...Between 10% to 15% "Service Charge" is automatically and explicitely added to a restaurant bill - and the credit card slip contains a space to add "Tip".
    That always strikes me as b****y cheek

I have no objection to paying a service charge if the service has been OK - but will refuse to pay it if the service or food have not been up to expectations. I never add extra if the restaurant is cheeky enough to leave further space for a tip and a blank total, I give the cash to the staff. Unfortunately though, if you tip in cash, you don't know whether any of it reaches the people in the kitchen who are equally poorly paid and have made an equal contribution to you having a nice meal.

I tip taxi drivers unless they are really miserable gits. But I don't tip my hairdresser.

Finally, I would just like to register my protest about our local tip closing down, flytipping everywhere is bad enough

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I do tip the barber. I always tip in a restaurant unless the service is bad - so yes, it is annoying when they take a service charge off regardless. I sometimes tip taxi drivers but not often, it costs enough as it is. Ive never tipped in a hotel though, Ive only ever seen that in films

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    best tip for me is............. ALWAYS ALWAYS take an umbrella when its raining!
    My tip when it's raining would be to put the umbrella up.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I always tip my hairdresser, but the Men in my Office don't tip theirs. Also, what to do about beauticians? I would assume that the same 10% rule should apply? Then what about deliverymen, hotel porters and of course, waiters and waitresses?

Elaine
    I've had tipping lessons from a well-to-do friend, and in the right circles it's still very much de-rigeur, especially if you want to ensure a decent table at a good restaurant. There's a special technique to folding up a £20 note into the palm of your hand, and passing it over to the Maitre d' - without drawing attention to it.

As soon as I discover a source of £20 notes I'm going to enjoy trying it out.

There is a story that involves the late Tommy Cooper and tipping. He supposedly got out of a taxi in London one day, paid the driver and walked away without tipping him. "Stingey git" the driver thought (or words to that effect). Suddenly Tommy Cooper stops, walks back to the driver, presses something crinkly into the drivers hand, says "have a drink on me", and walks away. It was only after he had walked away that the taxi driver looked in his hand and found that he had left him...

A Tea Bag!

Originally posted by DavidJames
    Here's a tip - never annoy the waiter during a meal, wait until afterwards to whinge, or at least when all the food / drink has been deliered to your table
    Well done DJ, this is sound advice indeed.

I was a fan of the Sunday Telegraph Magazine’s “Professional Confessional” which featured a different profession each week. I was so appalled by the confessions of the Waitresses in the 7th November 2004 issue that I kept the magazine cutting to keep me on my guard for future restaurant visits.

The confessions were quite disturbing and revealing but this one takes the biscuit:-

“Once a regular customer hasn’t tipped three times in a row, they go on my punishment list. One non-tipper’s order only consisted of dried dishes so I couldn’t do the old spitting routine. Off came my right boot and sock. I’d been on my feet almost two hours and a good, sweaty aroma rose from my foot. I grabbed the prawn crackers and inserted them, one by one, gently between my toes.”

Beware!

Thread Information