Thread: Selection Criteria

Question Selection Criteria

{The idea for this 'poll' came from another post: "METRO scotland"}
    There are too many variables to post this in a tic box poll, so just rate the below criteria on a scale from 1-10;
    1 = I don't even consider it when selecting a dance partner
    5 = it plays a role in my choice
    10 = this is primaraly what I look for when selecting a dance partner
    • Looks - physical apperance, both in face and/or body shape
    • Attire - how they dress and present themselves
    • Ability - how good(or bad) you think they are and how well you think they could dance to the music that just came on.
    • Friendship - How well you know them or how often you have seen them at your regular night
    • Proximity - how close to you they are when you want to dance or how far away from the dance floor they are sitting
    • Quantity - if you have danced/not danced with them that eavening (or for a while)

Note that the scoring does not just reflect who you select, but also who you don't select {Ie "I won't dance with them because I have already danced with them tonight" scores as high as "I havn't danced with them tonight, so I will ask them"}

Looks: 1
    Attire: 2
    Ability: 7 {a leaning towards beginners}
    Friendship: 5 {see above}
    Proximity: 3
    Quantity: 8 {I try to dance once with a partner - although I will bias towards more than one dance if I like the song lots and think that they will move well to it}

The Forum Legend
    Looks: 3
    Attire: 3
    Ability: 5 (9) Mostly I'll dance with anyone who's willing to dance with me. Some nights, I just want good dances.
    Friendship: 7
    Proximity: 5
    Quantity: 3

I think that you may have inadvertantly left out on important criteria though Gadget - Attitude. Given a choice between two ladies with whom all the above points are equal, then, I'll always go for the one who's smiling and enjoying herself (assuming that the other isn't)....

Attitude: 7

It actually varies depending on the circumstances, I am at my nicest when I am a taxi dancer and my shallowest when out clubbing. So I am going to list my selection criteria in order of shallowness.

As a Taxi Dancer

Looks: 0

Attire: 0

Ability: 8 - I will only dance with more experienced dancers if there is a man shortage

Friendship: 0 - I will even ask people that I actually dislike

Proximity: 4 - The beginners tend to line up along the wall so I will grab the person nearest to the person I asked last

Quantity: 7 - I try and make sure everyone gets at least one dance

Attitude: 2 - If they are completely closed off and won't even make eye contact when I approach then I might pick someone else

After class

Looks: 5 - I'm less likely to ask women who are a lot taller than me and if they are VERY large (unless they are very well balanced or skillful)

Attire: 5 - if they are wearing non spinny shoes and clothing that is not suitable (long dress etc) then that puts me off.

Ability: 2 - I will ask beginners though to advanced (SEE: Attitude) but in my opinion it is a waste of time trying to freestyle with a person that has only done two classes. I waited until I had done a few beginner classes before inflicting myself on the women.

Friendship: 7 - I avoid people that I actually dislike but I will always try to ask people I havn't seen before. I will dance with people I like even if they are terrible to dance with.

Proximity: 0 - I will go a long way for a good dance.

Quantity: 7 - I try not to hog any one person for too long.

Attitude: 8 - I will ask beginners though to advanced but if they have no ability and don't follow (e.g. I would rather dance with a beginner who is trying to do it properly than someone who has been coming to class for years and dosn't even try to follow or dance in time with the music) then I will avoid them in future.

Clubbing

Looks: 6

Attire: 6

Ability: 9 - I will only ask the better dancers but I will not turn down a woman who asks me unless she has an appallingly bad attitude.

Friendship: 7

Proximity: 3

Quantity: 7

Attitude: 3 She could be the bitch from hell but if we look good dancing together there is a lot that I will ignore.

I should say that I don't actually dance at clubs very often so I want to make the most of it and if a woman asks me to dance (even if she has a face only a mother could love, two left feet, the dress sense of a homeless person, is 12 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier than me) then I will almost always say yes.

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.
    Looks: 5 (pretty girls generally get lots of dances from other folks, so I try to inflict myself on the less gorgeous. Might be different if I didn't have a girlfriend.)

Attire: 3 (excessive skimpiness scares me off. Otherwise I don't _think_ I notice).

Ability: 8 (when I can, like to dance with beginners. When it's a song I really like, like to dance with someone whose style "clicks" with mine. Too scared to ask some really good girls.)

Friendship: 9 (There's a bunch of friends I dance with every night, leaving not many dances for dancing with newbies. It's a nice change going to a venue where no one knows me.)

Proximity: 2 (If there's a _really_ good song I'll grab whoever's closest).

Quantity: 9 (I try to avoid hogging, except with my girlfriend, who's happy to be hogged).

Attitude: 11 (there's more to "connection" than tension and compression).

Thread Information