Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bah Humbug!

Angry Bah Humbug!

Ok, you guessed it: This is the thread to MOAN ABOUT CHRISTMAS!

Go on, you know you want to! Lots of people, including moi, have already moaned about christmas in other threads, but now you can concentrate all your moaning here, and creative a really negative christmas hating force field! Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by moi
    I'm a funny mixture of 'Bah Humbug' and 'Woo-hooo, it's Christmas!' I hate the present hype, and I loathe being made to feel guilty by my family (my mum in particular) about going to see them for christmas.... I sometimes try to tell them that I simply can't afford buying them all pressies and get a ticket to Norway to go and see them....... But they don't really want to listen, although they half-heartedly say things like 'oh but we don't need presents....'

My Christmas greeting (written on the blackboard in the corridor, costing me not a single penny!) to my fellow artists at the studio where I work this year, reads:

BAH HUMBUG
    AND A MERRY TURKEY TO YOU ALL!

Re: Bah Humbug!

Christmas seems to have been going on for months already yet it's only the 12th of December.

I like certain aspects of it (like hanging out with over-excited 6 year olds with tea-towels on their heads, very traditional) but can't abide the commercial bit and once the final bit of turkey is consumed by about 3:00 on Christmas day I will be desperate for a return to normality.

I would like to spend the entire week going out dancing but seeing as the cost of dancing doubles, if not trebles, during this time I probably won't be able to afford to.
    I can see that the price of hiring the hall etc MAY go up at this time but it seems to me that I would end up paying a hefty premium for a glass of cheap, luke-warm glass of sparkling wine out of a plastic cup and a cardboard mincepie, neither of which I wish to consume.

My ideal Christmas would be a fortnight's holiday in a Muslim country.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    Can I come too? We can hire a hall, and dance

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Oh dear - I don't suppose that would be allowed. Perhaps I'd better rethink. What's the Buddhist position re dancing?

I don't *exactly* hate Christmas. What I hate is the pressure surrounding it - the pressure of consumerism and the pressure to make Christmas "perfect" for your loved ones - or you're a Bad Person and a failure as a human being.

It's one day. It happens every year. Less media shouting about it in October/November would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, a lot of other festivals are going the same way - Halloween, Valentine's Day, etc etc - too much effort expected.

Christmas seems to have been going on for months already yet it's only the 12th of December.

I like certain aspects of it (like hanging out with over-excited 6 year olds with tea-towels on their heads, very traditional) but can't abide the commercial bit and once the final bit of turkey is consumed by about 3:00 on Christmas day I will be desperate for a return to normality.

I would like to spend the entire week going out dancing but seeing as the cost of dancing doubles, if not trebles, during this time I probably won't be able to afford to.
    I can see that the price of hiring the hall etc MAY go up at this time but it seems to me that I would end up paying a hefty premium for a glass of cheap, luke-warm glass of sparkling wine out of a plastic cup and a cardboard mincepie, neither of which I wish to consume.

I am already booking Christmas 2006 out of this country! Somewhere hot!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Oh dear - I don't suppose that would be allowed. Perhaps I'd better rethink. What's the Buddhist position re dancing?
    You can book the hall and dance but the men will have to dance together in a separate room to the ladies! <!-- / message -->

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    You can book the hall and dance but the men will have to dance together in a separate room to the ladies! <!-- / message -->
    Nah. We'll just close the curtains, and do what we like behind closed doors....

Great minds...

Quote Originally Posted by me in another thread yesterday
    I did actually think of starting a Christmas whinge thread for everyone to have a moan about tree lights that won't work (grrr ), rubbish on TV etc, but I thought there was plenty of room for that on other threads and Father Christmas might neg rep us all if we moan and not bring us any pressies.
    OK - my moan is Christmas tree lights. Unlike many other areas of my domestic life, I am very organised about decorations - everything packed away in labelled bags and boxes - mainly because it makes it much less stressful when it comes to putting them up and taking them down again. But lights - grrr - I have a lovely set, had them several years, every year one strand isn't working - I spent ages on Sunday trying to tighten every bulb with no success.

But I'm not going to get stressed about it, I'm going to buy a cheap set from Tesco's!

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    I am already booking Christmas 2006 out of this country! Somewhere hot!
    I think this is a great idea. I might do it myself next year too! Grr Christmas is the most depressing time of year for me.

Why do people get snakey with you when you dont give them a Christmas card?

Commercial Operator

Wisher - CJ
    Wishee - Forumite

From me ("the wisher") to you ("the wishee") please accept without obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I wish you a financially successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2006, but with due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures or sects, and having regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting you are bound by these terms that:- This greeting is subject to further clarification or withdrawal.

This greeting is freely transferable provided that no alteration shall be made to the original greeting and that the proprietary rights of the wisher are acknowledged.

This greeting implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes.
    This greeting may not be enforceable in certain jurisdictions and/or the restrictions herein may not be binding upon certain wishees in certain jurisdictions and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher.

This greeting is warranted to perform as reasonably may be expected within the usual application of good tidings, for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first.

The wisher warrants this greeting only for the limited replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher. Any references in this greeting to "The Lord", "Father Christmas", "Our Saviour", "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer" or any other festive figures, whether actual or fictitious, dead or alive, shall not imply any endorsement by or from them in respect of this greeting, and all proprietary rights in any referenced third party names and images are hereby acknowledged.

This greeting is made under European and International Law.
    Dated this twenty first day of December two thousand and five.

The Dashing Moderator

Christmas is obviously too scary these days...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4521036.stm
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4521036.stm
    Yep, sorry but I've got to agree with the Beeb - men in beards are well scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    ...Dated this twenty first day of December two thousand and five.
    Is that the Gregorian Calendar? or one of the other ones? Just to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    So what's new? Christmas parties aren't complete without a 4 year old sobbing in the background somewhere, as any infant teacher will tell you. It's all part of the fun.

I reckon I could dance wearing a chador and yashmak. It would probably enhance eye-contact. Thinking about it, most of my dance clothes are long black drapey things anyway.

I've revised my ideal Christmas plans and now think that the best way to spend Christmas is to get a cheap flight to the Dominican Republic, rent an apartment from the local beach touts and spend the fortnight eating tostones, drinking ron y limon, lolling on the beach by day and touring the local dance halls by night practising groin-grinding, sorry, that was meant to say Merengue and Bachata! Anyone up for it?

I've revised my ideal Christmas plans and now think that the best way to spend Christmas is to get a cheap flight to the Dominican Republic, rent an apartment from the local beach touts and spend the fortnight eating tostones, drinking ron y limon, lolling on the beach by day and touring the local dance halls by night practising groin-grinding, sorry, that was meant to say Merengue and Bachata! Anyone up for it?

Sounds fantastic!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Glitter Queen

Is Christmas really so bad?

Why does it seem that you either have to love it or hate it? - it's not marmite y'know!

To it's another excuse to tell my family and friends that I love them and appreciate them - and as far as I can see that can never be a bad thing.

Christmas is what you make it - so stop snivelling and enjoy yourselves, damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Why does it seem that you either have to love it or hate it? - it's not marmite y'know!
    It is insight such as this that has propelled England to the very fore of Philosophical thought. I like it

Thread Information