Thread: Logging on problem

Logging on problem

Why cant I get straight on to the site as I used to be able to do.
    At the moment I can only get on if I put http://72.232.2.194/~fpauly/forum/ in my address

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Re: Logging on problem

[wikipedia]The Domain Name System (DNS) is that stores information associated with domain names in a distributed database on networks, such as the Internet. The domain name system associates many types of information with domain names, but most importantly, it provides the IP address associated with the domain name. It also lists mail exchange servers accepting e-mail for each domain.

DNS is useful for several reasons. Most well known, the DNS makes it possible to attach hard-to-remember IP addresses (such as 207.142.131.206) to easy-to-remember domain names (such as "wikipedia.org") Humans take advantage of this when they recite URLs and e-mail addresses. Less recognized, the domain name system makes it possible for people to assign authoritative names, without needing to communicate with a central registrar each time.[/wikipedia]

The information on the link between http://72.232.2.194/~fpauly/forum and www.cerocscotland/forum has not been updated yet. It usually takes a couple of days.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev
    At the moment I can only get on if I put http://72.232.2.194/~fpauly/forum/ in my address
    Because Franck's moved the Forum to a different server (this one looks like it's in Fort Worth, Texas - can't remember where the old one was) and the DNS system hasn't caught up with the changes to the domain "www.cerocscotland.com" yet.

I think.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev
    I don't know the exact technicalities of how Franck's moving the forum, but it's a bit like what happens when you move house. It takes a while for everyone who contacts you to know how to get in touch!

Normally, when someone wants to contact "www.cerocscotland.com", there are various "directory services" that look that up and find the correct "address" to send the communication to. But Franck has changed the address, and it takes a little time for all the directories to get updated with the new one (there are many thousands of directory services). Until this happens, you can still get to the forum by directly using the new address (72.232.2.194 etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    I don't know the exact technicalities of how Franck's moving the forum, but it's a bit like what happens when you move house. It takes a while for everyone who contacts you to know how to get in touch!

Normally, when someone wants to contact "www.cerocscotland.com", there are various "directory services" that look that up and find the correct "address" to send the communication to. But Franck has changed the address, and it takes a little time for all the directories to get updated with the new one (there are many thousands of directory services). Until this happens, you can still get to the forum by directly using the new address (72.232.2.194 etc.).
    Of course someone *could* have set the TTL in the zone file to 30 minutes, the day ahead of the transfer...
    Last edited by El Salsero Gringo; 8th-December-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Re: DNS propagation...

As the root .com servers don't yet seem to know that cerocscotland.com is to have its name servers moved, so it doesn't really matter yet how long it takes for the DNS info to propagate or what the TTLs are.

(I'm assuming that the name servers of the domain need to move as the old web server and a near neighbour of it were the names servers up to now, and as the hosting company has changed, it's likely the DNS servers will too.

I have always tried to manage my name servers separately from my hosting company to be able to make immediate changes without having to go through this limbo period.)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Re: DNS propagation...

As the root .com servers don't yet seem to know that cerocscotland.com is to have its name servers moved, so it doesn't really matter yet how long it takes for the DNS info to propagate or what the TTLs are.

(I'm assuming that the name servers of the domain need to move as the old web server and a near neighbour of it were the names servers up to now, and as the hosting company has changed, it's likely the DNS servers will too.

I have always tried to manage my name servers separately from my hosting company to be able to make immediate changes without having to go through this limbo period.)
    i *knew* you'd spot that.

Someone could always have hosted their DNS separately, so that they could then have kept the same authoritative source for cerocscotland.com, then changed the TTL to 30 minutes, a day ahead of moving the server....

Ooh! I got a smiley out of ESG!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Respect

Don't push it, Sonny.

what's this mean - it appears after I have looked at a post

" Warning: fsockopen(): no SSL support in this build in /includes/class_mail.php on line 536 "

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    what's this mean - it appears after I have looked at a post

" Warning: fsockopen(): no SSL support in this build in /includes/class_mail.php on line 536 "
    I'm no techie, but I believe it's a message from Santa, warning you that the sock you plan to hang up by the fireplace isn't big enough for all the presents that he's planning to deliver to you. You'll need a bigger stocking, Minnie.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    You'll need a bigger stocking, Minnie.
    Yeah. Santa worked that out when he got to line 536 of her Christmas wish list.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    I'm no techie, but I believe it's a message from Santa, warning you that the sock you plan to hang up by the fireplace isn't big enough for all the presents that he's planning to deliver to you. You'll need a bigger stocking, Minnie.

I get it that's wot " fsockopen" means

Knew I shouldn't have ordered that BMW

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thread Information