Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unfocused Rant

Unfocused Rant

I have just come out of one of the most pointless HR induced meetings. Well ok, I actually came out of it yesterday but I am trying to make it sem more current. I has annoyed me slightly more than reading the Daily mail, so I am sure you can sense my discomfort.

Ok I shall set the scene (cue wiggly lines). I work in finance and as such it is not the most PC part of the world to work in and there have been various cases pertaining to harassment etc etc.

Luckily the kindly HR folk have now given us a meeting explaining exactly what is considered to be harassment, how we could spot it, and how much we could be sued for. Which is exactly what I needed to know because I was confused by what would be considered inappropriate behaviour because I have no social skills or morals. I don't even wnat to know how much we paid this highly trained law firm to come in and tell us to be nice to each other - plainly no bonuses for us this year.

And what really, really got to me was the level of payouts. A woman was given just over a million for the incredibly abusive "nice baps" comment, whereas a jew was made to dress as a Nazi and called "jewboy" and didn't get half of that. Then a man who was partially deaf was acused of "not switching his ears on" and managed to win the princely sum of 20k.

You see I told you the rant was unfocused. I am also not much of a fan of courgettes

Re: Unfocused Rant

It's political correctness gone experiencing mental health difficulties.

Oh, and you're wrong. Nothing is more annoying than reading the Daily Mail. Except maybe that the Metro cryptic crossword disappeared months ago.

Courgettes are OK, but refried beans - is it just me, or do they taste like someone already ate them?

I think you're just politically correct to say that political correctness has gone to far when secretly you really agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mooncalf
    I think you're just politically correct to say that political correctness has gone to far when secretly you really agree with it.
    What is the sound of one hand clapping??

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfTheFiles
    I have just come out of one of the most pointless HR induced meetings. Well ok, I actually came out of it yesterday but I am trying to make it sem more current. I has annoyed me slightly more than reading the Daily mail, so I am sure you can sense my discomfort.

Ok I shall set the scene (cue wiggly lines). I work in finance and as such it is not the most PC part of the world to work in and there have been various cases pertaining to harassment etc etc.

Luckily the kindly HR folk have now given us a meeting explaining exactly what is considered to be harassment, how we could spot it, and how much we could be sued for. Which is exactly what I needed to know because I was confused by what would be considered inappropriate behaviour because I have no social skills or morals. I don't even wnat to know how much we paid this highly trained law firm to come in and tell us to be nice to each other - plainly no bonuses for us this year.

And what really, really got to me was the level of payouts. A woman was given just over a million for the incredibly abusive "nice baps" comment, whereas a jew was made to dress as a Nazi and called "jewboy" and didn't get half of that. Then a man who was partially deaf was acused of "not switching his ears on" and managed to win the princely sum of 20k.

You see I told you the rant was unfocused. I am also not much of a fan of courgettes
    Speaking as a woman on this, I personally feel that sexual equality has gone mad! Things seem to be focussed in completely the wrong direction. The examples you have given are perfect example of this, a woman getting that much for a small comment (I think you'll find there was a hell of alot more than that she had to put up with though) whereas the blatant racism against the Jewish person being vastly under-rated, its just crazy! The same with the deaf guy, I bet he had to put up with alot more too than just the one comment.

The one I think is the craziest is when a company is looking for someone to cover maternity leave. If 2 people internally apply (sex doesn't come into this at all, it could be 2 women) and one of them is pregnant. Say the pregnant person is really the best person for the job, the company have to offer it to her, even if she is due to be on maternity leave at the time that she is applying to cover! (she would be eligible for maternity, as she already works for the comany. That means the company has to pay maternity leave to the original member of staff, and to the lady who applied for the job, and then get someone else in to actually do the work, and pay them too! Its just mad!

Where things fall down is that, women are still paid less than men for doing exactly the same job in a huge number of industries. The paper said the other day that it is likely that this situation will actually NEVER change. This is where equality groups should be focussing, not on getting vasts payouts for a woman who couldn't give as good as she got!

I'm not saying the woman in the "nice baps" case didn't deserve something (she'd probably put up with loads of bullying, and this was the one aspect they chose to focus on) but over a million is just absurd!

P.S. I like corgettes and refried beans, can't stand tomatoes!

I read the Daily mail, so I am wiggly. I work in finance and have no social skills or morals. I wnat high bonuses this year.

And what really, really got to me was the level of payouts. A woman was given "nice baps" , whereas a jew didn't get half of his ears.

I see where you are coming from, but you can't make a fan out of courgettes.

Quote Originally Posted by doc martin
    I see where you are coming from, but you can't make a fan out of courgettes.
    You just haven't tried. the trick it to slice it thinly and then link the pieces together with spaghetti. or if you have a mind, simple garden twine.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    The one I think is the craziest is when a company is looking for someone to cover maternity leave. If 2 people internally apply (sex doesn't come into this at all, it could be 2 women) and one of them is pregnant. Say the pregnant person is really the best person for the job, the company have to offer it to her, even if she is due to be on maternity leave at the time that she is applying to cover! (she would be eligible for maternity, as she already works for the comany. That means the company has to pay maternity leave to the original member of staff, and to the lady who applied for the job, and then get someone else in to actually do the work, and pay them too! Its just mad!
    I would agree, but I get paid for doing nothing and then I just make somebody else do it if anything comes along, so really it would be hypocritical to agree with this point. Sexist I may be, but I am no hypocrite

You just haven't tried. the trick it to slice it thinly and then link the pieces together with spaghetti. or if you have a mind, simple garden twine.
    I haven't got a mind, so it will have to be the spaghetti. So... do I cook it first? Do I just link one end of the courgettes together? Where does the pesto sauce go? And many other pointless questions....

I haven't got a mind, so it will have to be the spaghetti. So... do I cook it first? Do I just link one end of the courgettes together? Where does the pesto sauce go? And many other pointless questions....
    Your questions aren't pointless though are they - you are trying to tell us something about yourself - possibly how witty you are although I'm just guessing, clever you not making it too obvious.

Remember that no question is pointles. I can't emphasise that enough. Except all the ones that you ask and the ones I don't know the answers to

And anyway this isn't fan building 101 you know. That's in the next room

Your questions aren't pointless though are they - you are trying to tell us something about yourself - possibly how witty you are although I'm just guessing, clever you not making it too obvious.
    His questions may be pointless, but your responses are positively barbed.

Actually it could tell you that I am sitting here running half hour long simulations on my PC and keeping myself amused whilst waiting for the results. If I fail to amuse anyone else at the same time, I apologise.

Actually it could tell you that I am sitting here running half hour long simulations on my PC and keeping myself amused whilst waiting for the results. If I fail to amuse anyone else at the same time, I apologise.
    All lies. You are siting at home in your pants trying to decide whether spaghetti has the tensile strength to link together courgette because you know you have no garden twine. Admit it

It amuses me that you apologise.

Naked fat men amuse me. Have I said too much??

Glad to be of service.
    Naked fat men amuse me. Have I said too much??
    I haven't said what I am wearing as I sit here typing, so I may be amusing you... or I may not.

I haven't said what I am wearing as I sit here typing, so I may be amusing you... or I may not.
    But you are fat?

But you are fat?
    I do a very good santa impersonation.

Thread Information