49 58.33%
  • Advanced

12 14.29%
  • Advanced Plus

10 11.90%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: How do you rate your dancing?

Originally posted by Boomer
    But take heart! If there is constantly something ‘new’ that you are struggling to learn, or fewer points of frustration than before it indicates that your ability is increasing: - ‘last week there were 5 things that I knew I couldn’t do, now there are four’ – means you can do something this week that you couldn’t do last week.
    Last week there were 5 things I knew I couldn't do. This week there are 8.

Unfortunatly my learning experiance is that for every one question answered, it prompts three more: for every move or technique learned, there are variations that lead into different areas - as what I know grows, what I know I don't know grows even more. At some point I'll know nothing about everything!

{In most physical activities there is a plateu that you need to overcome to improve - and most folk get worse from there before getting better; the climb to the next plateu is harder but higher than the last.}

Originally posted by Gadget
    Last week there were 5 things I knew I couldn't do. This week there are 8.

Unfortunatly my learning experiance is that for every one question answered, it prompts three more: for every move or technique learned, there are variations that lead into different areas - as what I know grows, what I know I don't know grows even more. At some point I'll know nothing about everything!

{In most physical activities there is a plateu that you need to overcome to improve - and most folk get worse from there before getting better; the climb to the next plateu is harder but higher than the last.}
    But Mr Lanwig, if we can accept that total knowledge is impossible, then rather than being unfortunate that "1 thing answered leads to 3 more questions' shouldn't the focus be on 'I have learnt something"? It is frustrating though - I know how to do the buzzsaw-hatchback-neckdrop-ballroom superman, but I can't do it!'

What you say about the plateu is spot-on. I find that, for me, the frustration comes from trying to go too far too soon, or in not accepting that while it is better to aim high, even I have to accept my limits.

Originally posted by Boomer
    I find that, for me, the frustration comes from trying to go too far too soon, or in not accepting that while it is better to aim high, even I have to accept my limits.
    Ahhh glasshoppa, the journey is made one step at a time - while keeping eyes on the ultimate goal, one should not loose focus of the current path...

I find that breaking things down into minute detail helps me - instead of learning how to lead a turn properly: I learned how to maintain my partner's momentum and guide the hand; I learned the smooth curve of motion past the front/side of her face; I learned the 'pause' position above the lady's center; I learned to come a fraction closer during the spin; I learned to feel the feedback when the lady is exiting.
    I am still learning to communicate the speed of the turn with a little 'halo'; to smoothly lead a double turn with a slight slowing down between 'halo's; to not throw the lady off-ballance by leading too strong/rapidly; to stop the lady's turn half-way through; to controll the exit to the turn into a stand-still or continue it into a wrap....
    Even these I try to break down: The rotation and position of the hand, the hand hold, the path it follows through the air, the connection between my partner, her body position and movement, my position to her and movement...
    I make little adjustments and see how my partner reacts - "better on side one, or two. One. Two. " and try to change my patterns accordingly.

{Note I only get so 'anal' during beginners classes or moves that I already know, and only in my own head - freestyle is for pure enjoyment .}

Commercial Operator
    {Note I only get so 'anal' during beginners classes or moves that I already know, and only in my own head - freestyle is for pure enjoyment .}
    I'm so glad you added that bit, there I was wondering "how on earth can you analyse all that while you are dancing?" OK when it comes to freestyle I do have to consciously think about the corrections needed to improve a move that didn't go right, but if the corrections don't soon pass into the subconscious, then that move is quickly headed for the (very large) scrapheap.

Greg

Originally posted by Sheepman
    OK when it comes to freestyle I do have to consciously think about the corrections needed to improve a move that didn't go right, but if the corrections don't soon pass into the subconscious, then that move is quickly headed for the (very large) scrapheap.
    Hell; If I did that, I'd end up with no moves!!
    I don't think I have ever had a dance where I didn't screw something up. The most important thing I've learned; catch a hand and keep on going...

Commercial Operator
    Hell; If I did that, I'd end up with no moves!!
    Now you're learning!!

What I mean is, if I can't make a tricky move work with most partners, by adjusting tension, compression, positioning, speed, making a silly face or something else, then it has to be frustrating for my partner to have this repeatedly tried on her, so it will get dumped.

Note that this doesn't mean that I go through dances without making any errors

Greg

Thread Information