49 58.33%
  • Advanced

12 14.29%
  • Advanced Plus

10 11.90%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: How do you rate your dancing?

Originally posted by Gus

Does any one know .... does it really matter .... does anyone care ..... dunno ... just making another inane observation

Doesn't really matter - just a good fun thread on the forum.

Somewhat about perception, an advanced dancers in the view of a beginner, may well be a lower intermediate dancer in the view of a more experienced dancer.

Originally posted by Gus

2) This Forum is comprised of dancers who have a disproportionately high opinion of thier own dancing.

I thought about how I had voted (intermediate) and realised that this is only true in the context of a normal weeknight class where there are lots of beginners and casual social dancers. In the context of a freestyle night where a larger number of enthusiastic and experienced dancers from a wider region congregate there would be lots more people of a much higher standard than myself. And at a weekend event which I presume attract some of the cream of the UK's MJ fraternity (I've not attended one -yet!) I probably would have to count as not much more than "keen beginner".

Like Lory, I also feel as though I'm actually getting worse. Or is it that I'm now beginning to notice more things that I can't do, like respond to certain bits of footwork led, or interpret certain types of music more effectively.

Do any ladies have suggestions for how to get off a "progress plateau"? In some ways I think this is easier for men because the dance is so much more under their control. They can choose to practise a move over and over again until they get it right but I can't easily do this. Sometimes leaders show me new moves but without sufficient repetition and practice I'm not likely to get them right and I find this frustrating. Are there any solutions to this?

Originally posted by jivecat

Like Lory, I also feel as though I'm actually getting worse. Or is it that I'm now beginning to notice more things that I can't do, like respond to certain bits of footwork led, or interpret certain types of music more effectively.

Do any ladies have suggestions for how to get off a "progress plateau"? In some ways I think this is easier for men because the dance is so much more under their control. They can choose to practise a move over and over again until they get it right but I can't easily do this. Sometimes leaders show me new moves but without sufficient repetition and practice I'm not likely to get them right and I find this frustrating. Are there any solutions to this?
    Firstly I am not a Lady

However on the topic, all girls go through the "getting worse stage", it is a sign for great things to come as you will soon jump to the next stage.

As to solutions - get a partner, book a hall (with mirrors) and video yourselves. Dance at a normal night and get someone you trust and respect to watch and comment. Be prepared to look stupid and go for it.

Try Salsa, Street Jazz and funk - then put some of that into your dance.
    Not all about moves, more about what you do when given the chance to shine within a dance.

As to getting great moves right, if you get a chance to do a team routine, you get lots of oppertunity to repeat and get the moves right.

Best of luck

Marty

We all have good dancing days and bad dancing days and as a follower it is difficult to know "Is it me OR is it the him"

I usually ask a good follower (like Lily) if she has had a good dance from the same lead (Lily can follow ANY lead) when she says Yes I feel so much better

So fear not lovely Lory - it may not be you

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Originally posted by Martin
    However on the topic, all girls go through the "getting worse stage", it is a sign for great things to come as you will soon jump to the next stage.
    Thanks for trying to cheer me up!

As to solutions - get a partner, book a hall (with mirrors) and video yourselves.
    Gulp! I'm sure you're right, I'll try and work up to this. The other remarks sound like good advice also. I did some Lindy classes last winter, was useless, couldn't do it, but it still had a positive effect when I was dancing Ceroc.

Commercial Operator
    It’s been a long time since I looked at this thread, so I may have missed some bits, but I would be genuinely interested in who put themselves in the Advanced plus? There were 8 people & I think it would be a good yard stick to measure ones self against.
    I fully understand why people may wish to remain anonymous, but it would be great to see, if you wouldn’t mind.
    Ta
    Keith

Re: Re: Re: Re: Advanced Plus

Originally posted by horsey_dude

There are plenty of women around who get to intermediate (and advanced) who can only dance a move exactly as they have been taught it. .
    There are also plenty of men around to whom this equally applies. Maybe breaking away from the idea that there is only one way to carry out a move is a necessary step in order to progress to intermediate level and beyond. Not to mention the fun of creating a new move and seeing whether it is leadable or not....

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Keith
    It’s been a long time since I looked at this thread, so I may have missed some bits, but I would be genuinely interested in who put themselves in the Advanced plus? There were 8 people & I think it would be a good yard stick to measure ones self against.
    I fully understand why people may wish to remain anonymous, but it would be great to see, if you wouldn’t mind.

Steve

... Like Lory, I also feel as though I'm actually getting worse. Or is it that I'm now beginning to notice more things that I can't do, like respond to certain bits of footwork led, or interpret certain types of music more effectively.

Do any ladies have suggestions for how to get off a "progress plateau"? ...
    I know exactly what you mean!! I have so many nights when I feel like I can't dance at all. Strangely, though, a bad night's dancing is almost always followed by a good night. Never worked out why!

I certainly agree with the suggestions for doing other forms of dance - salsa, hip-hop, etc. It's something I always mean to do ... but it's hard finding the time. Varying your dance venues and partners is also very good, if possible.

But I think dance weekends really are the best option - for both variety of workshops and sheer intensity of dancing. Dancing when you're so exhausted, you can't think any more ... but your body takes over and moves instinctively. And it just feels so right and so natural. Wonderful! Do hope you see you at Camber or Southport??!!
    Rachel

Originally posted by TheTramp

Steve
    You're fantastic, Steve! Was watching you and Debs again on the JiveMasters video at the weekend - wow!!!!!
    R.

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Rachel
    You're fantastic, Steve! Was watching you and Debs again on the JiveMasters video at the weekend - wow!!!!!
    R.

Trampy

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know exactly what you mean!! I have so many nights when I feel like I can't dance at all. Strangely, though, a bad night's dancing is almost always followed by a good night. Never worked out why!
    Yeah, that's actually true come to think of it!

But I think dance weekends really are the best option - for both variety of workshops and sheer intensity of dancing. Dancing when you're so exhausted, you can't think any more ... but your body takes over and moves instinctively. And it just feels so right and so natural. Rachel

I couldn't agree more, I've always said I dance better after midnight! Shame most nights end at 11ish!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

But I think dance weekends really are the best option - for both variety of workshops and sheer intensity of dancing. Dancing when you're so exhausted, you can't think any more ... but your body takes over and moves instinctively. And it just feels so right and so natural. Wonderful! Do hope you see you at Camber or Southport??!!
    Rachel
    Doing both myself, prehaps to go is to catch you after midnight?

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Minnie M
    I would like to take on a desert island dance with (maybe I will take Lily with me to give them a warm up )
    Sounds like a good idea for a thread, but it could be too personal!

I think the thread should say "who are the three best leads/followers you have danced with "
    Maybe, but it sounds a bit too simplistic, does it allow for that magical stuff where it's hard to tell who's leading ? There is very little conscious thought and it is the music that is effectively leading, you are so tuned in that the rest just happens.
    Even with that criteria included, I'd struggle to keep it down to just the three "best".

Greg

Originally posted by Martin
    Doing both myself, prehaps to go is to catch you after midnight?
    Yes please! The later the better ...
    R.

I'd be delighted if my good nights were as good as your off-nights!

I think if I feel as though I've had a bad night I'm more psyched up for the subsequent night and work harder.

I've got a workshop lined up and am probably going to book onto Southport. Don't know when Camber is.

I'd be delighted if my good nights were as good as your off-nights!

I think if I feel as though I've had a bad night I'm more psyched up for the subsequent night and work harder.

I've got a workshop lined up and am probably going to book onto Southport. Don't know when Camber is.
    I'm sure your good nights are far far better than my bad dancing!! Camber Sands is w/c April 23rd. Come to at least one of them, if you can!
    Rachel

Yes please! The later the better ...
    R.
    So is that due to alcohol consumption, or so tired, follow like a dream

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So fear not lovely Lory - it may not be you
    Oops! I only just noticed this! Thanks Minnie!

Minnie, I have to say, I'm struggling with your Avatar! I don't like it! It says NOTHING about the Minnie I KNOW! You might be a grandma but your, FUN, FUNKY and YOUNG AT HEART!
    So change it Quick! Bring back Minnie mouse!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I know this is a bit old, but thought I’d reply anyway.

I’ve found that in any new learning experience I’ve undertaken I encounter this. The first time I came across this as a phenomenon was while practising karate: suddenly my kicks were slower and off target, simple things I used to be able to do became almost impossible, I became dispirited etc. So I asked the questions, did the research and discovered something interesting – almost everybody had had, and continued to have, this experience.

At its most reduced level, when one begins something our understanding and appreciation of its complexities is virtually nil, our (passive) ability is non existent (more or less). As such, one’s ability to actually do this new pastime is also nil (again, more or less) . As our passive understanding of things is generally better than our practical understanding (we tend to have a far better ‘passive’ ability with out language than we do a ‘practical’ one for example) one soon reaches a point of frustration ‘I know how to do it, but I can’t do it!’ Our ‘passive’ ability and understanding has overtaken our ‘active’ ability. The good thing is that what we can do catches up to that point of our ‘passive’ ability. The downside is that after that period of consolidation, when passive and active ability are at the same level, our passive ability will once again develop beyond what one can currently do, repeat to fade.

But take heart! If there is constantly something ‘new’ that you are struggling to learn, or fewer points of frustration than before it indicates that your ability is increasing: - ‘last week there were 5 things that I knew I couldn’t do, now there are four’ – means you can do something this week that you couldn’t do last week.

Thread Information