10 11.90%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How do you rate your dancing?

Re: OK Gus I confess

Originally posted by Martin
    [

There are also many stages in general dance to become Advanced Plus
    Awarness of space and other dancers
    Ability to dance well to slow music (harder as it shows up any mistakes or timing errors)
    Ability to dance to any music that is played
    Ability to dance well at all levels of partner (if your partner thinks "good dancer, but I was not so good" then you have failed to understand)
    Ensuring your partner feels the most special person in the room while dancing with you.

[/B]
    Couldn't agree more. I am aiming at these goals - but stil have some way to go! Especially in finding it hard to dance to fast music well and in soemtimes expecting too much from beginners when they are looking for orthodox 'moves'...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: And the Championships will show?

Originally posted by Gus
    ...... its always a delight to dance with Lilly
    Likewise, Gus. Unfortunately a delight all too rare these days.

Lily

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: And the Championships will show?

Originally posted by LilyB
    Likewise, Gus. Unfortunately a delight all too rare these days.

Lily
    Lily ... be brave it won't be long now

Lily ... flee the bitter South and those brusque insensitive men who DONT DERSERVE YOU!! Come away to the North where you belong, where Men are Men and the Sheep have reason to be nervous.

B.T.C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: OK Gus I confess

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Always!!!

Steve

.............thanks Steve..... you've made me blush !

B.T.C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: And the Championships will show?

Originally posted by Gus
    Lily ... be brave it won't be long now

Lily ... flee the bitter South and those brusque insensitive men who DONT DERSERVE YOU!! Come away to the North where you belong, where Men are Men and the Sheep have reason to be nervous.

Our sheep aren't nervous.......................... they're used to us

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ability to dance well at all levels of partner (if your partner thinks "good dancer, but I was not so good" then you have failed to understand)
    Ensuring your partner feels the most special person in the room while dancing with you.

Well Martin, I'm looking forward to experience!
    Ability to dance well to slow music (harder as it shows up any mistakes or timing errors)

Theres hope for me yet as I think I actually dance better to slow music! hoooray!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Lory
    Well Martin, I'm looking forward to experience!

Theres hope for me yet as I think I actually dance better to slow music! hoooray!

oh good........in that case can I have a dance if/when you make it up to Aberdeen

Back to the thread. Think that the results of the poll to date can lead to one of two conclusions.

1) This Forum is comprised of a disproportionate amount of very good dancers.

2) This Forum is comprised of dancers who have a disproportionately high opinion of thier own dancing.

Any volunteers as to which hypothesis is correct?

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: And the Championships will show?

Originally posted by Gus
    Lily ... flee the bitter South
    . . . and the Sheep have reason to be nervous.

but there's no better reason than Lily for being nervous!!!

Greg

The Perfect Woman!
    Originally posted by Gus
    Back to the thread. Think that the results of the poll to date can lead to one of two conclusions.

2) This Forum is comprised of dancers who have a disproportionately high opinion of thier own dancing.

BOTH

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by foxylady
    BOTH

but interestingly quite a few contributors have admitted to being relatively new but many of the names I recognise and know are good dancers. Not sure how many overestimate their own abilities....... know a few who do but they don't tend to post on the forum.

This thread started over a year ago. So I was wondering if any of those people who voted last year, would change their vote now that they've had a year's more dancing experience?

I didn't vote last year - but if, anything, my vote would have gone down a level, or stayed the same, rather than gone up, I think.

A case of 'The more you know, the more you realise there is to know', I think!
    Rachel

Originally posted by Rachel
    A case of 'The more you know, the more you realise there is to know', I think!
    Rachel
    Wonderfully put. That may well be why the truly 'better' dancers are more reticent about expounding their abiliities. Has anyone ever heard Viktor spouting off about his abilities?

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Gus
    Wonderfully put. That may well be why the truly 'better' dancers are more reticent about expounding their abiliities. Has anyone ever heard Viktor spouting off about his abilities?
    Can't even imagine Viktor admitting he was even a decent dancer. Maybe the need to tell folk you are good is in inverse relation to your ability ( if you know what I mean) ...Friday afternoon and the brain cells are slowing down) !!

The better you are the less you have to say anything as everyone knows you're great. I certainly don't think I've improved at all over the last two or three years. I think I'm smoother but the moves, the style and the ability are just where they were ages ago.

Maybe we just all reach a 'natural' ceiling.......although it still gives reason for hope and improvement.

Originally posted by Gus
    Not sure what your objective here is Gus.

You asked for a rating.

Faily soon it was clear if you rated yourself objectively and high then here is a good chance to do a "Sun Newspaper" job. Lets cut them down to size.

Well if you like we could all be totally "British" and pretend we are all beginners.

Was it a poll you wanted or not?

Socially I have not heard of any top dancers "spouting off about his abilities" - This is however a forum, with a poll, and it was fairly clear early on that those who rated objectively high had to justify or be flammed (or even both).

All smells of hidden objectives to me...

Originally posted by Gus

I vote for both too.

BTW The was an item on BBC regional news tonight about a trio of dancing dogs, one called Blitz, and one called Gus

Not sure what your objective here is Gus.

You asked for a rating.

Was it a poll you wanted or not?

Socially I have not heard of any top dancers "spouting off about his abilities" - This is however a forum, with a poll, and it was fairly clear early on that those who rated objectively high had to justify or be flammed (or even both).

All smells of hidden objectives to me...
    Urrrrr ... 'hidden objectives'??? Sorry Martin, wrong guy ...... I DID want a poll .... and I think my questions were legitimate. The results are heavily skewed towards advanced and advanced plus ..... so I asked a reasonable question as to whether people thought that the comments did indeed reflect reality. My personal view, based on knowing a number of the contributors to the forum is that they ARE. And this then raises a number of questions, that have been raised by others. If the standard of dancing of the contributors on the Forum is so high ... can they truly be seen to be representative of the dance market as a whole?

Does any one know .... does it really matter .... does anyone care ..... dunno ... just making another inane observation

Is a really advanced dancer someone that looks fantastic and feels fantastic to dance with?
    Viktor, Nigel and a few others fits that description, but not many.

I do know of a number of dancers who either look great but not that smooth to dance with [the 'look at me approach'] or really smooth dancers that dont stand out but feel great.
    This applies to guy's and girls.
    Peter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: And the Championships will show?

Originally posted by Sheepman

but there's no better reason than Lily for being nervous!!!

Greg

I think it is very difficult to judge yourself

The leads/followers should be the judges of your ability.

eg: Every lead I know have said that LilyB is the best ever follower AND she looks good too

I think the thread should say "who are the three best leads/followers you have danced with "

Mind in my case there are (and on this forum) about 10 leads I would like to take on a desert island dance with (maybe I will take Lily with me to give them a warm up )

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thread Information