49 58.33%
  • Advanced

12 14.29%
  • Advanced Plus

10 11.90%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you rate your dancing?

Question How do you rate your dancing?

I was reminded yesterday of a poll of drivers who were asked to rate their driving competence .... something like 75% of respondents rated themselves 'above average' .....

I was then looking at Dancer.Org where dancers of ALL styles of dance log their details and log their dancing competence. Though it would be interesting to do a quick poll of what dance level people on the forum think they are at. The levels described are purposely vague and not benchmarked on the basis that if someone asked you how good/bad you are you'd probably just anwser "intermediate" or "advanced" without trying to reference that statement.

So ... please post your rating ... and Tramp ... please don't enter as 'beginner' ... you were dancing advanced when I was still doing beginner classes

The Forum Legend
    So ... please post your rating ... and Tramp ... please don't enter as 'beginner' ... you were dancing advanced when I was still doing beginner classes
    It's not true. I've only been dancing for 3.5 years now - and never even tapped my feet before that. You've been going for much longer than that. I didn't even ever get to go to the Central Club. That had shut before I started dancing

But, I didn't put beginner

Steve

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Surely we are all improvers

I have lots of room for improvement

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Surely we are all improvers

I have lots of room for improvement
    Unfortunately having room for improvement and actualy being able to improve can be two quite different things as personal experience over the last month has re-inforced

I would rate my dancing ability in line with the lead at the time....

Originally posted by Aleks
    I would rate my dancing ability in line with the lead at the time....
    Then you are obviously an advanced follower.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo
    After three months of Ceroc I can only be a beginner.
    It also depend from my partner; with some people I'm more confident (and can lead the few intermediate moves I can remember in a more competent way).

!!!!!

Results so far...

well ... with 17 votes polled the voting indicates a perfect bell-curve ..... so much for my initial theory .... looks like a pretty good range of self-assessed capabilties. Wonder if the club instructors would agree?

Rating Your Abillity

HiYa All,
    As the boss lady has just pointed out to me, how I rate my ability and how others rate my ability could be two entirely different things.
    As I have just been accused of not dancing to the best of my ability with her but I am inclined to dance some extreemly complex and advanced moves with partners who are new to me. She doesn't think I am regognising my full potential all of the time.
    Although , in my favour she does say she thinks I am pretty good!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Results so far...

Originally posted by Gus
    looks like a pretty good range of self-assessed capabilties. Wonder if the club instructors would agree?
    Well, looking at how the votes were cast, it seems most people were very honest (possibly bordering on modesty ).
    I personally voted for Competent Intermediate. Dancing is what I do for fun, and I have little desire to become an 'Advanced' dancer. On the other hand, I would have voted for 'Advanced' teacher!

Franck.

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

do advanced dancers have more fun?

Originally posted by Franck
    Dancing is what I do for fun, and I have little desire to become an 'Advanced' dancer.
    This sentence made me stop and think (dammit). Dancing is for fun for me too, but I also want to keep improving. I think it's getting more fun the better I get, but maybe I'm fooling myself.

For other folks, has getting better at dancing made it more fun, less fun, or made no difference at all? Is there some "sweet spot" where the effort to improve isn't worth the increase in fun? (Stop me before I start using calculus).

The only downside I can see is that as you get better you might get more frustrated dancing with beginners. I'm guessing that's more of an issue for followers than for leaders (it hasn't become an issue for me yet, but I'm only in the "competent intermediate" category).

The Forum Legend
    For other folks, has getting better at dancing made it more fun, less fun, or made no difference at all? Is there some "sweet spot" where the effort to improve isn't worth the increase in fun?
    I think that getting better has made it more fun. Though, I've always enjoyed it, and I think that I'd enjoy it still, even if I hadn't managed to improve. I think that it's always important to strive to improve - is it really effort, if your attempts to get better revolve around dancing more??

The only downside I can see is that as you get better you might get more frustrated dancing with beginners.
    I don't necessarily agree with this - though, it is different for the lead. I quite often dance with beginners. Usually to see the fear in their eyes

Steve

Inept?

I read a newspaper article that said the people who were "inept" were more likely to rate themselves highly that people who were actually very competant who tended to underrate themselves........... so I put myself down as very advanced.......

It was hard but I was worried that if I put improver the perfect symetry of the results graph would make it look fake......

Re: do advanced dancers have more fun?

Originally posted by gcapell
    Dancing is for fun for me too, but I also want to keep improving. I think it's getting more fun the better I get, but maybe I'm fooling myself.
    initial disclaimer: I'm a girl. The rest of this post will now make sense

I find that it goes in phases ( ). If I go with the flow and relax I tend to find that I'm enjoying dancing more. Once I start enjoying dancing more my style changes (whether the change is an improvement is debatable, but anyway...). Once my style changes I want to make the most of it. Then I start thinking about what I'm doing and trying to work on how I'm dancing. Then I start taking it seriously. Then I get frustrated and don't enjoy it so much. This goes on for a wee while and then I start relaxing again - and I'm back at the start of the cycle again.

Does anyone else recognise this or am I "unique"??

Jayne

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Inept?

Originally posted by horsey_dude
    I read a newspaper article that said the people who were "inept" were more likely to rate themselves highly that people who were actually very competant who tended to underrate themselves
    so true...very competant people seem to go on and on and on about them only being beginners - stop it Steve

The Forum Legend
    Jayne.

You're definitely unique

I just always enjoy it. It's easier that way. I hardly ever think about what I'm actually doing.....

Steve

The Forum Legend
    Yes DS

Whatever you say DS

*curtseys*

Steve

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: do advanced dancers have more fun?

Originally posted by gcapell
    This sentence made me stop and think (dammit). Dancing is for fun for me too, but I also want to keep improving. I think it's getting more fun the better I get, but maybe I'm fooling myself.

For other folks, has getting better at dancing made it more fun, less fun, or made no difference at all? Is there some "sweet spot" where the effort to improve isn't worth the increase in fun? (Stop me before I start using calculus).

The only downside I can see is that as you get better you might get more frustrated dancing with beginners.
    I think you misunderstood what I said but I'm certainly glad it made you stop and think anyway. Improving and striving to be a better dancer is fun, and a lot of the enjoyment we all get from dancing stems from learning new stuff (be it new moves, new steps or style points etc...). In the last ten years I have been learning / dancing / teaching Ceroc, I have always tried to 'improve'.

When I said I had little desire to become an 'Advanced' dancer, I meant exactly that, I want to keep improving, but rather improving 'sideways' instead of upwards.
    I am not sure if the above makes any sense, but I feel that learning new stuff does not make me a more Advanced dancer, rather a different dancer, no better or worse than the other competent Intermediate dancers out there, just different.
    This is why I have no wish to ever enter any competition (apart from Lucky Dip and other 'fun' categories).
    For me Ceroc is not about trying to be better than others, but maximizing my (and hopefully my partner's) enjoyment.

As for getting frustrated dancing with Beginners, I reckon the opposite happened for me. The better I got, the more I enjoyed dancing with Beginners...

Franck.

Re: Re: do advanced dancers have more fun?

Originally posted by Jayne
    initial disclaimer: I'm a girl. The rest of this post will now make sense

I find that it goes in phases ( ).

Does anyone else recognise this or am I "unique"??
    Absolutely, one week I feel I dance really well and just love it and then the next dance like a robot. I definitely think the more you worry the worse you dance but what causes the worry in the first place. it's about having fun, meeting people and having a good night out.

However isn't it the same with most things we do?? I spoke to someone who was playing badminton and went through the same anxieties, going from brilliant to duffer to brilliant. Anxiety is such a waste of energy. Maybe we should chant a mantra or get into a yoga position or have one stiff drink - although tried that and I thought I was good but not necessarily the overall opinion:sorry

It is so good that Ceroc isn't competitive or it would be much much worse. Anyway if anyone has the answer on how to relax and just enjoy, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Sandy

Carla

Re: Re: Re: do advanced dancers have more fun?

Originally posted by Sandy
    It is so good that Ceroc isn't competitive or it would be much much worse. Anyway if anyone has the answer on how to relax and just enjoy, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Sandy
    Request your favorite music, find your ideal partner, down a shot of brandy, then forget everything around you and let your whole soul be consumed by the music. . . Then you will dance like Fred Astaire and feel on top of the world!

Thread Information