• Don't care: you spend too much time worrying about this

7 21.21%
  • Yes: re-set DavidJames' rep only, see how he likes it

7 21.21%
  • Clicky-clicky, me likey...

2 6.06%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rep re-set?

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Re: Rep re-set?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Well, I could always do some work.

Come on, this isn't even close to the "most trivial topic ever debated", have you seen the "shoes" thread?

Errrrr yes, your problem??

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Come on, this isn't even close to the "most trivial topic ever debated", have you seen the "shoes" thread?

Ah, I understand - you want to lower your rep levels by tarting for neg rep now? I can oblige if you want.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn

Ah, I understand - you want to lower your rep levels by tarting for neg rep now?
    Got it in one, it's a manual process...

On second thoughts, no. I really dislike -ve reps, and a "decay" system could conceivably replace them...

I actually think that there should be a twin rep system: one for info, technical, insights, and know-how. And another for jokes, wit, social support, and 'friendlyness'. The latter decays, the former remains static.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    OK. I'll take up the challenge, if the architecture of vBulletin allows it. I don't know if Franck would implement it, though.
    No idea how to implement it with vbulleting, or indeed how you would code such a system, but I'd be happy to implement it.
    I reckon a good place to start would be vbulletin.org where such hacks are discussed / created. I had look but couldn't find any suitable mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    I actually think that there should be a twin rep system: one for info, technical, insights, and know-how. And another for jokes, wit, social support, and 'friendlyness'. The latter decays, the former remains static.
    Oddly enough, I implemented that this morning, before the crash Well, not exactly what you suggest, but I have implemented a system where rep given in a technical area of the forum is more valuable than rep given in the chit chat areas. There is no way to make it more specific than by areas at the moment.

As far as resetting everyone's rep, I'm open to the idea, but many complained last time I did it, so I'm currently proceeding cautiously!

One final idea, would be to have a 'negative rep amnesty' week, where everyone had to give neg rep instead of positive rep, this would reduce the overall level organically!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    interesting bits
    Looks like you have the thing in mind and I'm sure something will come of it soon.
    One final idea, would be to have a 'negative rep amnesty' week, where everyone had to give neg rep instead of positive rep, this would reduce the overall level organically!
    Very interesting bit this.....should only be implemented with -rep for top 10 persons on the rep ladder....give everyone else a chance eh!

As far as resetting everyone's rep, I'm open to the idea, but many complained last time I did it, so I'm currently proceeding cautiously!
    Is it posible to re-set yearly above a capped amount. This way someone who used to post useful info but no longer does would have their rep capped at say 250*, And it would just stay at 250 forever, giving a helpful guide.

However those who are a bit more enthusiastic in gaining rep would be put back to 250 where they would presumably continue to once again amass rep.

Anyone under 250 would be left alone.

(*250 is just a number from the air - it would just need to be high enough for ceased posters to be recognisable as competent)

Have you seen the Simpsons episode where they're all wired up in therapy to give each other electrical shocks?

Take care,
    Christopher

Blog Entries

As I was posting, before everything suddenly went blank...

I was wondering if something had happened to the existing rep system anyway, as I'd been stuck on 329 for ages, when yesterday I noticed that it'd increased to 330, without any extra comments in my CP. I guess Franck's post answers that?

Of course, the reason I'd been stuck at 329 for ages is that I hardly post these days, now having a job in which I actually have to work! But when I was posting more prolifically, I had a chance (by the law of averages) that somewhere amongst the usual dross, there might be a thread or two deemed rep-worthy!

And this is why I don't think changes to the rep system are required. As I've been less active, my rep has decreased in comparison with the others, and I've slid down the "Rep Table". Which seems fair enough to me.

I like the fact that there are no rules as to how I should choose to give rep. And I think, on the whole, it balances itself out pretty well.

And, if no coding changes means fewer SQL errors (and, consequently less forum downtime), I'm all for keeping it as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    As I was posting, before everything suddenly went blank...

I was wondering if something had happened to the existing rep system anyway, as I'd been stuck on 329 for ages, when yesterday I noticed that it'd increased to 330, without any extra comments in my CP. I guess Franck's post answers that?

Of course, the reason I'd been stuck at 329 for ages is that I hardly post these days, now having a job in which I actually have to work! But when I was posting more prolifically, I had a chance (by the law of averages) that somewhere amongst the usual dross, there might be a thread or two deemed rep-worthy!

And this is why I don't think changes to the rep system are required. As I've been less active, my rep has decreased in comparison with the others, and I've slid down the "Rep Table". Which seems fair enough to me.

:
    My god! your reps gone up again.... you're on the move now lovely smilies

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

No idea how to implement it with vbulleting, or indeed how you would code such a system, but I'd be happy to implement it.
    I reckon a good place to start would be vbulletin.org where such hacks are discussed / created. I had look but couldn't find any suitable mods.
    Great. As soon as my current geek-project is finished (*) I'll get right on it.

(*)I'm writing an application for my cellphone that will allow me to use it to control the level of all the lights in my house. Hope to have it working in a few days!

(*)I'm writing an application for my cellphone that will allow me to use it to control the level of all the lights in my house. Hope to have it working in a few days!
    [Darth Vader Voice]The geek is strong in this one.[/Darth Vader Voice]

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime
    [Darth Vader Voice]The geek is strong in this one.[/Darth Vader Voice]
    Wait until I figure out how to program my cellphone to adjust the level of the local street-lighting...

Wait until I figure out how to program my cellphone to adjust the level of the local street-lighting...
    Of course my humor response was a way of hiding that my thoughts were: x10 system linked to your PC then using Bluetooth to connect to the PC from the phone and some little Java application to control a remote API? I'd love to have something like that .

Of course my humor response was a way of hiding that my thoughts were: x10 system linked to your PC then using Bluetooth to connect to the PC from the phone and some little Java application to control a remote API?
    I was thinking a simple web back-end over a GPRS internet connection, rather than Bluetooth.
    I'd love to have something like that .
    I can't think of any reason why I'd want that... When I'm in my flat, I have convenient light switches in every room – I find they work well enough.

And when I'm out, the only reason I'd be turning lights on and off is for security – and you get these things called timer switches...

Maybe I'm missing something?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

It would just not be geeky using normal light switches...

Quote Originally Posted by azande
    It would just not be geeky using normal light switches...
    Exactly! . Also if you have other things in your flat networked you could chain events so when you turned the kettle on the lights could flicker or something . When something from your Blues playlist comes on your lights would dim. Or you can get a toaster to access a Web API and toast the weather forecast (ok; I wouldn't want that toaster in my kitchen).

Exactly! . Also if you have other things in your flat networked you could chain events so when you turned the kettle on the lights could flicker or something . When something from your Blues playlist comes on your lights would dim. Or you can get a toaster to access a Web API and toast the weather forecast (ok; I wouldn't want that toaster in my kitchen).
    I guess my geek-cred has just taken a tumble...

I have thought of a reason why you'd want to adjust your lights remotely though... So you could set up mood lighting around your house before you get home with your girl friend without needing spare hands to operate light switches...

But who's ever heard of a geek with a girl friend?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    I have thought of a reason why you'd want to adjust your lights remotely though... So you could set up mood lighting around your house before you get home with your girl friend without needing spare hands to operate light switches...
    Yeah! Now you are thinking. I'd also like a coffee machine that turns on when my alarm goes off. I'm yet to find a networkable coffee machine though.

I have a few girl friends. Just the one girlfriend though .

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess my geek-cred has just taken a tumble...

Yeah, 'coz you wouldn't need at least one hand to operate your phone / remote or anything...

Probably (!) we're thinking about this too much...

Seems to be one extreme or the other - either they're all alone , or they're going out with a goddess .

"I think geeks should be revered" - Sarah Sidle, CSI

Take care,
    Christopher

Thread Information