Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are they now? - JAMES CRONIN

Where are they now? - JAMES CRONIN

For those who weren’t around, James Cronin is the guy who developed Ceroc in the UK … The guy who the vast majority of us owe a great debt of gratitude. However, to many peoples surprise, about a year or so ago he sold the whole business and, as far as the dance world was concerned, vanished.

I was lucky enough to see him on Sunday talking to an understandably enthusiastic congregation about the work he and his team were doing (he was back for the weekend on a flying visit). This evangelic church develops Church 'plants' … a new concept to me, but its appears to be a process of sending a team out from the UK to develop a new Church in another country … and they see, to very good at doing this. James was a key member of a team who set up such a Church in Auckland, NZ. He and his wife are now doing a similar project in the Bible belt in the good old US of A. It was nice to hear James speaking with such passion about what they are achieving. I must admit that though they have many obstacles out there, compared to the fight he had to get Ceroc™ established it must be child’s play.

Blog Entries

Re: Where are they now? - JAMES CRONIN

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    This evangelic church develops Church 'plants' … a new concept to me, but its appears to be a process of sending a team out from the UK to develop a new Church in another country …
    Hmmmm, IIRC, this process was quite big in Africa in the late 1800s.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet
    Hmmmm, IIRC, this process was quite big in Africa in the late 1800s.
    So I see that its much the same, bringing the word of the Holy Spirit to the ungodly and ignorant ... i.e. the Yanks.

… and they seem to be very good at doing this. James was a key member of a team who set up such a Church in Auckland, NZ. He and his wife are now doing a similar project
    Oh dear, what a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Oh dear, what a waste.
    Why? They brought dancing to many thousands which some may see as being a good thing. BUT, I would say that fades into insignificance compared to what a 'good' Church can achieve. Its not just about the direct God stuff, the help these ventures can offer to the community is immense.

Its not just about the direct God stuff, the help these ventures can offer to the community is immense.
    When they give all that help without reference to the "direct God stuff", I'll apologise for accusing you of talking a load of complete b0110cks.

Don't get me started on this one. Trust me, it wouldn't be pretty.

When they give all that help without reference to the "direct God stuff", I'll apologise for accusing you of talking a load of complete b0110cks.

Don't get me started on this one. Trust me, it wouldn't be pretty.
    Share. Interesting to hear one of the oldest and most established religions, that great philosophers, lords and judges have attested to the major elements of fact ... be compares to b0110cks. Forgive my ODA tendancy but I'm interersted in your views. If people like James who have made efforts to bring 'good' to people believe, I think there may be something worth considering.

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Oh dear, what a waste.
    Sorry to echo Gus but Why is it a waste??

Just because you don't agree with other people's personal beliefs is no reason to belittle their efforts. James is obviously doing something he feels passionately about it's the same as all of us. I would hope we could all be able or capable of doing something we feel is right be it dancing, competing relating it directly to this forum or even being out there following a cause that we feel needs our support in the wider world.

Have to disagree with you on this one Chris.

Angel xx

Share. Interesting to hear one of the oldest and most established religions, that great philosophers, lords and judges have attested to the major elements of fact ... be compares to b0110cks. Forgive my ODA tendancy but I'm interersted in your views. If people like James who have made efforts to bring 'good' to people believe, I think there may be something worth considering.
    With regret, I have to say, not here.

Ply me with beer sometime and I'll tell you why I think the whole deal is crap. Not the people, lots of them are lovely, although plenty of them aren't. Just the whole deal.

Yuk.

Ply me with beer sometime and I'll tell you why I think the whole deal is crap.
    AOK. First you read Lee Strobel's attempt (and failure) to discredit JC, The Case for Christ,http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...093221-7929423, then I look forward to our chat. I was a mite cynical at first but I failed to find a flaw, and far better minds than mine have tried and failed.

Commercial Operator

about a year or so ago he sold the whole business .

Over two years ago

AOK. First you read Lee Strobel's attempt (and failure) to discredit JC, The Case for Christ,http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...093221-7929423, then I look forward to our chat. I was a mite cynical at first but I failed to find a flaw, and far better minds than mine have tried and failed.
    Is there anything genuinely new in it that isn't in "Who moved the stone"?

If not, the number of beers you have to buy me is going up quite fast.

Hmm, I understand the concept of church planting of course but isn't it usually in places without any existing church? Rather than 'competing' with others? I don't know James Cronin but I wish him all the best in this new venture.

Chris and Gus, sounds like that would be a very interesting conversation...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Hmm, I understand the concept of church planting of course but isn't it usually in places without any existing church? Rather than 'competing' with others?
    Yeah, I was wondering that too - planting a church in the US Bible Belt?

Did James say why there, particularly?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Hmm, I understand the concept of church planting of course but isn't it usually in places without any existing church? Rather than 'competing' with others? I don't know James Cronin but I wish him all the best in this new venture.
    As abyone who has seen any coverage of US attitude to God, more Churchs, more evangelists and bigger donations do not make you closer to God ... in fact my cycnical view is that I can think of few places on the planet further from a real belief in God. Like fundamentalist Muslims, the American fundamentalist Christians scare the hell out of me. They have far more in common than you would like to believe. I can think that no matter what their 'official' religion, the vision that James has could only be a 'good' thing.

Chris and Gus, sounds like that would be a very interesting conversation...
    Not really. I found the book convincing but I'm by no means an evangelist ... just curious as to Chris's rather strong views.

As abyone who has seen any coverage of US attitude to God, more Churchs, more evangelists and bigger donations do not make you closer to God ... in fact my cycnical view is that I can think of few places on the planet further from a real belief in God.
    Of course there is a big difference between 'religious' churches and 'Biblical' churches. And the 'Bible belt' might just be a 'religious wristband' these days. (Sorry for the wristband pun, I'm not the biggest fan of the Christian 'merchandising' items.)

Spooky - I was just thinking about posing the question: Is Ceroc (MJ) a religion?
    It teaches morality and ethical codes, has places of 'worship', teachers of 'the way', encourages social interaction and friendship, people get enthsed and 'evangelical' about it...

I'm hard pressed to find arguments against it being a religion!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Spooky - I was just thinking about posing the question: Is Ceroc (MJ) a religion?
    It teaches morality and ethical codes, has places of 'worship', teachers of 'the way', encourages social interaction and friendship, people get enthsed and 'evangelical' about it...

I'm hard pressed to find arguments against it being a religion!
    er... it doesn't have a deity?

Or enough hymns (according the hers anyway) ...

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    er... it doesn't have a deity?
    I guess it does - JC - as in James Cronin? But not many of the congregation would know who James is these days, so there goes the 'worship' bit.

M

Thread Information