Thread: Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland

With the first snowfall of the year here in NI, I thought it would be nice to share some winter experiences - anyone got any nice (or really awful) snow stories to share?

A few years ago I went for a walk to the college where I teach part time (just down the road) - it has a lovely wooded walk round the perimeter of the grounds and is backed by fields. There had recently been a fresh fall of that lovely fine powdery snow and every little branch and twig of the trees was white. The sun was starting to set and the light shone across the open fields to give a soft pink glow to the wooded walk. Like a pink tunnel, the light was incredible. Its hard to describe well but it was extremely beautiful. I thought of rushing home for my camera but I knew that by the time I got back the sun would have set and the moment passed. Sometimes we just have to take these moments when they come, drink them in and enjoy them as intensely as we can. It is now a memory that will stay with me for a long time.

Re: Winter Wonderland

I have happy memories of mum taking us kids to the Country Park and toboganning down the hillsides when it snowed. Also having snowball fights with my brother.

Remember taking my little brother sledging when he was 5 on the football fields near our house.......there was a wood at the top and the pitches were on two levels so needless to say we started to sledge down from the slight slope from the woods all the way down.............................. I had forgotten that there was a fast drop from football pitches at top to reach the lower pitches and before I could stop my ickle brother was no where to be seen .........within seconds all you could here was him giggling look Pauline I'm a real snowman............it was priceless!

Fake ID to promote Lindsay's events Dorothy's Avatar

This morning I nearly skidded into a ditch in Edinburgh, because a driver coming the opposite way was going to fast in the snow, he swerved in front of me, I braked too soon, and the car did a full 360 degrees!
    That memory will remain with me for the rest of the week.

I'll never forget a few years ago I lived in Slough, it was raining there but a quick drive up M40 to near Stokenchurch area (around 600ft) it was thick snow and i mean inches of snow. Back to slough (we are talking 15 miles) there wasnt anything

I remember as a kid going to top of box hill with snow on top (600 or 700 ft ?) but nothing at the bottom

Its amazing what a few hundred feet in height can do in a mild climate like ours, size matters

If it looks like snow im happy to drive up to whipsnade zoo (9 miles away) around 800ft and watch it because thats what I like to do !

Light snow is forcast tonight to pass through the chilterns (im at 450ft) we will see

Im sure i saw a flake in london today

I'd very much like to share a happy experience but the one that sticks in my mind is tabogoning down a huge hill covered in snow, i went whizzing down the hill with great delight to find a wire fence at the bottom - trouble was i was going so fast and i couldn't stop!!

I got to know that wire fence quite well quite quickly! Ouch!!!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I vividly remember going on a family holiday, when i was about 14, to Austria for christmas. My mum decided to taboggan with my younger brother, she had no control over it and headed straight towards some guy pulling his little girl in a sledge. He had to leap frog over my mums head. i'm sure the ensuing shouting from him in Austrian didn't interpret into "Oh thanks i enjoyed that experience!"

Seven years ago I went to visit a friend who lives in Munich, and my visit happened to coincide with the first proper snowfall of the winter and the "Christkindmarkt" (The big Christmas market in Munich). Amazingly the place didn't grind to a halt and I've got some beautiful photos of Munich in the snow.The Gluehwein also tasted so much better in the freezing cold and a blizzard.

Thread Information