Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Computer games

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    5) I wrote my first computer program when i was 9 ...10 print "hello" 20 goto 10 - my programs havn't got any better since I now have more than 10 computers - not all of them PC's (as Franck will be pleased to hear )
    oh oh! i recognise this!!!

You don't happen to have a Spectrum 128k complete with original Dizzy do you?

filthycute x x

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by filthycute
    oh oh! i recognise this!!!

You don't happen to have a Spectrum 128k complete with original Dizzy do you?

filthycute x x
    I managed to upgrade from a Spectrum 48k to an Amiga - bit of a big step - so didnt ever have a 128. Never really liked the Dizzy games much either - jumping eggs were never my thing . Anyway, Atic Atac is the best game ever

The Forum Legend
    Ummm....FC.....

If you're desperate to play Spectrum games, you can always download a Spectrum Emulator (free from many sites on the internet), and you can then also download any of the spectrum games - http://www.spectrumarchive.freeserve.co.uk/ has over 800 games available (including Dizzy).

Steve

I was a Spectrum addict during the 80's, and like DS, I upgraded to an Amiga. Atic Attack was a great game, but the king of all games has to be Sabre Wulf!!!!

I was a Vic 20 kid - bonzo ruled!

Jayne

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Will
    I was a Spectrum addict during the 80's, and like DS, I upgraded to an Amiga. Atic Attack was a great game, but the king of all games has to be Sabre Wulf!!!!
    No it wasnt - and you cant spell Atic Atac

best puzzle game ever - Logical by Rainbow Arts - i wish i still had a copy of it

btw i still have 2 amigas - new Amigas are coming out still..with G4 processors (www.amiga.com)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    as this topic has mysteriously spawned a thread of its own..

who remembers these ground breaking games (in order of release)...

"combat" on the Atari VCS

maziacs. came out for the zx81 with 16k rampack and was re-released on the spectrum in colour - a classic

manic miner. amazing graphics for its time

ant attack - first 3d game ever and written by a guy who lived across the street from where Franck lives now

ANY game from "ultimate play the game" (sabre wulf, jetpac,jetman,psst.knightlore,alien 8,cookie,atic atac etc....)

barbarian (palace software) - 2 player fighting fun

civilization - birds eye view of the growth of civilization on the entire planet..ooh

half-life - 1st person shooter with intelligence and a proper plot (still not bettered after 5 years)

The Forum Legend
    Sorry DS, have to disagree with you. Doom was the ground-breaker (or possibly even Castle Wolfenstein), not Half-life (which admittedly took the genre to a new level).

Civ was great, and I'm still playing Civ II - prefer it to all the subsequent games (Alpha Centauri, Civ Call to Power, Civ III etc.)

Steve

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    Sorry DS, have to disagree with you. Doom was the ground-breaker (or possibly even Castle Wolfenstein), not Half-life (which admittedly took the genre to a new level).

Civ was great, and I'm still playing Civ II - prefer it to all the subsequent games (Alpha Centauri, Civ Call to Power, Civ III etc.)

Steve
    Yes, Castle wolfenstein was the first and it was groundbreaking in use of graphics and birth of the 1st person shooter genre - half life was also groundbreaking - it was plot driven but pushed the genre to a level which has only been copied and never bettered in 5 years.
    So er..in actual fact..we agree on this if you think about it sorry i never mentioned CW before .

THE GOOD OLD SPECTRUM!!!

ooooooo we were the first family in our street with a COLOUR computer...... and wow did we feel cool!

Atic Atac was an excellent game although (sadly) i never got to complete it as the tape (remember loading games by tapes!!!) got ruined!

Ant Attack was even better (but how old does it looks now!!!) and I did manage to complete that one ... how i loved seeing the gold medal come up on the screen when it had finished... little reward for so much hard work though!

Recently saw a disc of lots of the old Spectrum games for PCs (although they don't run too well on "real computers" partly because they are actually too simple i.e. "up down" means that Manic Miner only jumps up and down rather than all the amazing moves that characters in games can do now and partly because i can't get used to only have a couple of buttons to press rather than having lots).

DS

It is very astute of you to notice that Ant Attack was the 1st 3-D game. So many people bang on about Knight Lore and forget that Quicksilver got there first.

"Ultimate Play the Game" are still the Daddy when it comes to software houses though..... With Sabre Wulf being there greatest achievement

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Claire
    THE GOOD OLD SPECTRUM!!!

ooooooo we were the first family in our street with a COLOUR computer...... and wow did we feel cool!

The Atari VCS was probably the 1st commercial colour computer (ok its a console but its a vague line nowadays) - it had 4 colours - yes 4 wooo.

If anyone wants a cd full of emulators and games for spectrum, sega megadrive, nintendo and some arcade games, let me know and ill burn you a copy. Nostalgia r00lz

btw any reason you posted twice Claire, thats actually quite difficult to do because of the auto-stop-from-posting-too-quick feature this forum system has.

Commercial Operator SwingSwingSwing's Avatar

Today I shall be mostly playing....

...Manic Miner.

Thanks DS for that link. I spent quite a few hours last night trying out the Speccy emulator. It brought back quite a few memories....

I had an Atari VCS. It was great. I remember going to John Menzies to buy my first game. I had £30 (the most money I'd ever had in my hand at that age) and eventually plonked for Pac Man. But later I wish I'd bought Yar's Revenge.

Then I got a 48K Speccie. That was great. Penetrator, Horace Goes Skiing, Manic Miner, Jetpac, Knight Lore, The Hobbit.

Sold the speccie and bought a Amstrad CPC464 (after cancelling my order for a Sinclair QL). Did my first "real" programming on that machine. Graph drawing programs and the like. Some good games too. It had a cracking version of Gauntlet.

Sold that and bought an Atari ST. Wrote up several university projects on that.

From then on it was PCs.....

My favourite piece of "retro" software is MAME. Nothing beats playing your favourite arcade game (Robotron in my case) without having to have a pile of 10p pieces!

SwingSwingSwing

Commercial Operator SwingSwingSwing's Avatar
    I might get one those!

It's just a shame that the standard Atari joystick was pants!

Did you see this item?
    http://www.firebox.com/index.html?di...roduct&pid=345

Tabletop Arcade Classics
    Make arcade wannabes weep with this updated blast from the past

Imagine owning a full-on, retro arcade machine preloaded with all the classics. Then imagine switching it on, dimming the lights and leading bewildered friends into the room. Firebox cannot be held responsible for damage incurred whilst scraping collapsed jaws off the floor.

The 8 games are Space Invaders, Galaxians, Frogger, Pong, Pac Man, Kong, Snake and Breakout.

A snip at only £2795.95

SwingSwingSwing

Commercial Operator
    Anyone heard of 'Odd Job Eddie'? That was my fave!

I have a CD called 'Speccy Classics' that I've never got round to looking at... Nice reminder to do so. The good old days- I remember that joystick!!! Oooer...

Dreadful Scathe

btw any reason you posted twice Claire, thats actually quite difficult to do because of the auto-stop-from-posting-too-quick feature this forum system has.
    If you see how few times I have ever posted (even though I read the site often) you will understand that if I posted twice it was probably soley down to nerves and my fingers shaking on the return key

Having not actually realised I had posted twice I am just pleased as it might add too my lowwwwwwww posting count

Carla
    'Eddie' is a bit like manic minor but not as good...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    for all things spectrum...try these

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/sgd.html

http://www.spectrumarchive.freeserve.co.uk/links.htm

aah those were the days

Not that it matters much now, but one of my small claims to fame is that I invented / designed (whatever) the Kempston Joystick.

Hands up all those who had hours of pleasure because of me?

And all those that failed exams?

Hmm...

Where's delete? oops

Thread Information