Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Been to the Theatre recently?

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Re: Been to the Theatre recently?

Last night I gathered a group of 10 assorted dancers and engineers to see The Winters Tale in Glasgow's Botanic Gardens. Again, the venue was gorgeous, the actors accomplished, the story as hare-brained as ever but full of human emotion so you didn't really mind suspending disbelief.

It was also really satisfying to mix up friends from different circles and have a brilliant evening together. Hopefully at least two of the non-dancers will have been tempted into trying it. As we were missing a whole evening of Ceroc to be there, Pretzelmeister obliged me with a barefoot dance in the grass during the interval! (addicted, who, me...? )

Anyone in the Glasgow vicinity who has time between today and Saturday would find it a good use of £10. Get there at 6.30 because tickets sell out extremely fast in good weather. Take a picnic to fill the hour until the show starts!

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake
    Last night I gathered a group of 10 assorted dancers and engineers to see The Winters Tale in Glasgow's Botanic Gardens. Again, the venue was gorgeous, the actors accomplished, the story as hare-brained as ever but full of human emotion so you didn't really mind suspending disbelief.
    Yeah, found the play last night excellent. Was almost in tears when what's'name realised what he'd done. Powerful stuff.

Oh, and it was an excellent picnic too. Loved the scones!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Dirty Dancing opens on the 24th Oct but the previews start from the 29th Sept.

Can't wait to see it!

S. xx

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Yeah, found the play last night excellent. Was almost in tears when what's'name realised what he'd done. Powerful stuff.

Oh, and it was an excellent picnic too. Loved the scones!
    It was a lovely evening! the actors were very believable, and i agree with ducasi - i was close to tears at some points too! It was a great way to spend a warm summers night! been a long time since iv watched and enjoyed shakespeare so much - and i love the theatre!

lemoncake - thanx for such a fab picnic - it was all delicious, and im glad i didnt eat dinner yesterday!

Claire xxx

As an ex Shakespearian actor a thespian if you will (ok it was only when I was in the dramatics society at high school.. I have my dreams.. don't shatter them I love watching Shakespeare. wish I could have seen these, but there was no chance. sounds like I missed a really good evening

(someday I'd love to get back on the stage again.. but I have less confidence now as an adult as I did as a kid.. most odd!)

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Went to see Les Miserables last month. It was reeeeeally good. Got best seats 1/2 price from lastminute.com. I cried in the 2nd half Guy I went with, it was his 16th time. Enjoyed it just as much as all the other times.

Last edited by philsmove; 27th-July-2007 at 04:43 PM.

I've just been to see "The Winter's Tale" by William Shakespeare in the Abbey Ruins in Reading. A beautiful setting for it and a lovely evening weatherwise. It was an amateur cast but a very good one.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    I went to see 'We Will Rock You' (the musical based on the songs of Queen) the other day - I've been three times now and have never been disappointed. Great songs, a Ben Elton script, cool rocky singers and a fab and rather sexy troupe of dancers (doing Arlene Phillips choreography ) - what more could you want?.
    Reviving this thread as I went to see 'We Will Rock You' last night in Birmingham. I went with the family, my 17 year old, my husband and I all enjoyed it but my 13 year old thought it was 'silly'! It does have a very odd story line but the music really gets you going and the humour in parts is funny. Love the feisty lead female The highlight obviously is the music, by the end, everyone (apart from my 13 year old ) was waving their arms and clapping to the songs.

So far in the last couple of years i've seen (with marks out of ten)

We will rock you 8/10
    Avenue Q 10/10
    Mamma Mia 9/10
    Stomp 8/10
    Dr Doolittle with Tommy Steele (Rubbish, I used to love Tommy Steele ) 2/10
    Mary Poppins 6/10
    Flashdance (Rubbish, left half way through) 1/10

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Flashdance (Rubbish, left half way through) 1/10
    I really enjoyed Flashdance when I saw it, although the lead female was very annoying. I was really impressed with Noel Sullivan as the male lead, much better than I expected him to be.

Recently I saw Singing in the Rain which was brilliant, but sadly the theatre was very empty (sign of the times that theatre's seen as a luxury), and also Masters of the Musicals (4 singers doing different songs from various musicals). Great singing, and the second woman was amazing, although they did miss out songs from some of the key musicals I would have expected. Again, the theatre was very empty - only 120 tickets sold - which meant the atmosphere was lacking, although we did try to make up for it. Shame for the performers - I do think the theatre should just go out on the street flogging the tickets for a fiver to fill the seats; must be better than having an empty theatre?

I also saw 42nd St, performed by a semi-professional company. What would have been a great show was ruined somewhat by microphone problems - some worked, some didn't, although it was amusing to hear actors off stage asking 'is it working, can you hear me?'.

Latin Fever - Darren & lilia's show was interesting. Peacock theatre in London is always a nice atmosphere being a bit smaller; I saw it early in the run. Lilia almost fell over twice, but the live band on stage were fabulous, the singers great, and generally I enjoyed the dancing once D&L had got over their nerves. I spent most of the time wondering how I recognised several of the additional dancers, then realised they were dancers who'd impressed me in Simply Ballroom a couple of years ago. Would love to dance like them.

Next one I'm seeing is Adam Cooper's Shall We Dance in 2 weeks, so looking forward to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    I but sadly the theatre was very empty (sign of the times that theatre's seen as a luxury), ................Again, the theatre was very empty - only 120 tickets sold - .
    The theatre was packed to the rafters yesterday, at a 2pm showing on a Wednesday!

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Another mini theatre/musical review for you (I know, where do I find the time/money to go to all these shows?) - I went to see the latest, freshest, filthiest show in the West End last week, Avenue Q.

Advertised as a musical for people who never thought they'd like musicals, with pictures of partially-clothed Sesame Street puppets and Parental Advisory stickers plastered everywhere, it might seem a bit bizarre. And that it is, as well as silly and very rude - but so much fun that we were a bit miserable when we went in and came out beaming from ear to ear and, over a week later, are still singing the songs (and not just because I got the cast recording).

The small cast are a group of some ordinary, some less ordinary, and some decidedly strange people living on a street in a rundown part of a city (New York, but could just as easily be London or Edinburgh). One has just lost his job, another has just graduated and hasn't figured out where he's going, another used to be famous but isn't anymore, another is simply looking for love, etc - and the way they all help each other keep a positive attitude to life is utterly heart-warming.

Some characters are played by people, some by puppets and people, and the way the puppeteer-acting is done is exquisite. Not only that, but there are some rather gorgeous people in the cast (girls, look out for Simon Lipkin ). The score is brilliant (you don't have to know a single song to enjoy it), the script is even better (I'll post some great quotes on Lyrical Moments later), and the whole thing is absolute genius.

Definitely recommended for a girls-and-boys night out (leave the kids at home, or preferably at somebody else's home, so you don't feel guilty for coming home, singing the songs and maybe even acting out some of the naughtier scenes). And it deserved every one of the 3 Tony Awards it won on Broadway.

Disclaimer: don't go to see this if you don't like bad language or innuendo. Come to think of it, don't know why I'm mentioning it on here, you're all far too innocent.
    Been to see it twice! I was coming on here to recommend it and saw you were already there! It's filth and it's great!

Have been to the theatre twice in the last couple of months.

Firstly, we went to see Darren and Lillia's "Latin Fever". That was really good and made me realise how much we have to learn in our ballroom classes. We actually found ourselves sitting behind Matthew Cutler and Karen Hardy on the night we went. 8/10.

Secondly, we went to see "Stomp". I didn't know what to expect from this, but I really enjoyed it. 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    The theatre was packed to the rafters yesterday, at a 2pm showing on a Wednesday!
    Ah, the one I saw was when they took it on tour - usually the theatre's full or pretty much full, but audiences have really been down in Oxford this year compared to normal.

Saw Tango Fire at Warwick Arts Centre last night. The venue was lovely - looked like good views from everywhere, and the acoustics sounded great from where I was sitting.

The actual show was a Milonga for part 1, a bit of a show of what a milonga could be like/more story telling with the different performers, and the second half was a show, with couple and group dances. The orchestra of 4 were also on stage, with a singer featuring every so often to break things up.

I loved it - I know next to nothing about tango, but thought the dancing was amazing, the costumes in the main lovely (although not too sure about the 1 legged purple outfit one girl had on). The band was brilliant; I wasn't too fussed about the singer - not really sure how much he added apart from allowing for the dancers to get changed. Would definitely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    I loved it - I know next to nothing about tango, but thought the dancing was amazing, the costumes in the main lovely (although not too sure about the 1 legged purple outfit one girl had on). T.
    I was there too, that outfit was pretty yuk! Personally I could have done without the singer and the non dancing, musical bits. (I'm not a big fan of traditional Tango music) However the dancing was great. I really enjoyed the second half in particular (not sure all the aerials are very 'Tango' though ) We also caught up with a few local Tango dancers in the bar after, where I found out about 2 new local Tango nights.

Went to see Pricilla, Queen of the Desert at very short notice last week as a friend had a spare ticket.

As it was a freebie, I couldn't really grumble that we were way up in nosebleed territory where the air was very thin and so only really had a view of the tops of people's heads, but boy, what a fantastic show. I wasn't really expecting to like it that much - how pleased I was that I was so very much mistaken.

The costumes were out of this world and the song & dance routines spectacular. Just when you thought that the routines couldn't get much better - along came another one. Very, very high on the "camp-ometer" but hey, the show is about drag queens ! Jason D & the other two leads were excellent. Just one saccharine moment when they wheeled the child actor on - but hey, that is probably just my take on it.

I would heartily recommend this show to anyone - just make sure that you pay the necessary king's ransom and get seats in the stalls, circle, or even the next level up at a push - but don't go for "the gods".

It was my daughters 8th Birthday yesterday so as a special treat we went for dinner at the Rain Forest Cafe in Piccadilly and then on to see Grease.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy The Rain Forest Cafe experience but I have to say the food was really good and the kids enjoyed seeing the elephants, gorillas, monkeys, etc moving about and making lots of noise.

Grease was a great show. Ray Quinn, although not a natural to play Danny Zuko, did a good job and looked really fit! We had great seats just 4 rows from the front and my daughter couldn't believe the "real" Ray Quinn was right there, in front of her singing live! She was mesmerized (so was I, but don't tell Gav)

The best bit of the show, for me was when the T Birds turned the old banger into the greased Lightening! The dancing and choreography was very good too, curtsey of Arlene Phillips.

My daughter is hooked now and wants to go to the theatre every week to see a different show. As we spent nearly £400 last night, I suggested she starts saving her pocket money.

Blog Entries

This is lovely to hear that you did this for / with your daughter and all enjoyed it.
    I have been giving my folks theatre / show tickets for birthdays and X-mas for a number of years now and we all think it's a fabby idea. I usually get one for my brother and I too so we have a family meal out in the big smoke and a thoroughly nice time. Highly recommended.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Grease was a great show. Ray Quinn, although not a natural to play Danny Zuko, did a good job and looked really fit!
    Who he ?

Anyway, I never get to the theatre much nowadays but I'm sure the next few things will be something my 4 year old will enjoy - Mamma Mia , High School Musical or Hairspray

Thread Information