Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Been to the Theatre recently?

Re: Been to the Theatre recently?

This is a cool thread... went to see Chicago at Sheffield the other week with Donna.. Loved it! and god the men dancers ... booked to see Beauty and The Beast at end of month.... theatre dahling!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Who he ?
    I think he first hit our screens on X Factor (runner up?), when he was quite an annoying, pug faced, spotty teenage. He hit my radar a few years later when he won Dancing on Ice. See for one of his performances. He's blossomed into a a fit, talented and handsome young man, IMO.

Me and Gav went to see "Prick Up Your Ears" last night at the Comedy Theatre.

We booked the tickets before Matt Lucas's ex-husband killed himself, i.e., before he pulled out so we weren't expecting much, but you can't get your money back on these shows so we went along anyway.

There are only three actors in the play and a guy called Con O'Neill took over as Kenneth Halliwell, Chris New played Joe Orton and the excellent Gwen Taylor (Heart Beat, Duty Free) played Mrs Corden.

The theatre wasn't sold out, probably only about two thirds full which was a real shame as the play was excellent. Based on the true story of the relationship between Halliwell and Orton it was funny, moving and shocking all at once. A really great story which left me wanting to know more about these interesting characters.

They've had to close three weeks early because ticket sales practically stopped dead when Matt Lucas pulled out which is a real shame because I suspect Matt Lucas fans expecting slap stick would be disappointed and this production really didn't need him in the first place.

If you fancy going I've no doubt there will be plenty of tickets available. It's definitely worth a look.

Blog Entries

It really is a shame that productions need a "name" to sell seats (not that Gwen Taylor isn't a "name", but you know what I mean).
    All of the actors in this production were top-rate & Con O'Neill was great (in fact a lot of people would probably recognise him from TV with his hair on).
    I'm sure that Matt Lucas as Kenneth Halliwell would have been different, but I'm not convinced he would've been better.

If you can get tickets before it closes, I highly recommend it. A very sad story, but full of laughs and drama.

Saw the matinee of Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake at Sadlers Wells yesterday. Wasn't really aware of how much the story was different to the original so was a bit of a surprise that without buying a programme we were pretty much at the liberty of our interpretation of what was going on! (Have now clarified on Wikipedia that we followed it fine, but was still a little bizarre, and I was quite surprised at how many young children had been taken along - could see interesting conversations taking place on the journey home for some families!).

Anyway, despite the bizarre story, the dancing was amazing, in particular from the lead swan. Such strength and power, and he was sweating loads as were the other swans through their main pieces.

The queen was very good as was Dominic West as the prince. There was one scene where there was jazz/70s dancing in a bar - cleverly done but strange to a backdrop of Tchaikovsky. The bumping & grinding in several places amused the audience.

It was a spectacular show of dance, although the storyline was a bit depressing for my liking.

What I do find immensely annoying is when latecomers are shown to their seats by torchlight (they're always in the middle of a row) despite the tickets stating clearly that they won't be let in til the interval.
    Last edited by emmylou25; 17th-January-2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Spelling & additional general comment

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Saw the matinee of Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake at Sadlers Wells yesterday. Wasn't really aware of how much the story was different to the original so was a bit of a surprise that without buying a programme we were pretty much at the liberty of our interpretation of what was going on! (Have now clarified on Wikipedia that we followed it fine, but was still a little bizarre, and I was quite surprised at how many young children had been taken along - could see interesting conversations taking place on the journey home for some families!).

Anyway, despite the bizarre story, the dancing was amazing, in particular from the lead swan. Such strength and power, and he was sweating loads as were the other swans through their main pieces.

The queen was very good as was Dominic West as the prince. There was one scene where there was jazz/70s dancing in a bar - cleverly done but strange to a backdrop of Tchaikovsky. The bumping & grinding in several places amused the audience.

It was a spectacular show of dance, although the storyline was a bit depressing for my liking.

What I do find immensely annoying is when latecomers are shown to their seats by torchlight (they're always in the middle of a row) despite the tickets stating clearly that they won't be let in til the interval.
    I saw it before Christmas and I thought it was really good as well. I didn't buy a programme either and had a problem following the story. Fortunately I managed to work it out after having seen the Kirov production that was on BBC4 over Christmas.

Anton & Erin Cheek to Cheek!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

We went to see Traces today. Oh my God you have to go! It's fantastic. It's a mix of contemporary dance, acrobatics, gymnastics, humour, singing, piano playing, drawing!! It's sort of a poor mans Cirque Du Soleil. Just 4 guys and one girl but it's playing around the country so in small theatres you get really close to the performing.
    A youtube link .

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    We went to see Traces today. Oh my God you have to go! It's fantastic. It's a mix of contemporary dance, acrobatics, gymnastics, humour, singing, piano playing, drawing!! It's sort of a poor mans Cirque Du Soleil. Just 4 guys and one girl but it's playing around the country so in small theatres you get really close to the performing.
    A youtube link .
    Looks brilliant.They appeared on Royal Variety Perf.last year.

Thread Information