Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Been to the Theatre recently?

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Been to the Theatre recently?

After posting on the 'I have just read...' thread, I thought it'd be cool to start a new thread about recently viewed theatre, apologies if this has already been done.

The last play I saw was 'The History Boys' at the Theatre Royal last thursday. It was really good, great acting and I really enjoyed it Just had to concentrate really hard when they started talking in French and about history stuff that I didn't know about.

Anyone else???

Ash

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Been to the Theatre recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Anyone else???

Ash
    Me HERE
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

50 of us MJ went to see Lady Salsa on Saturday at Stoke, it was fantastic, the dancing was 'bostin' if you get chance to go its well worth it.

I went to see Saturday Night Fever at the Apollo Victoria - half-price tickets from lastminute.com - aisle seats fourth row stalls, BARGAIN! Could maybe have done with being a wee bit further back to get a better view of the dancing, but otherwise no complaints about the view. The guy playing Tony Manero was (especially the bit where he takes his shirt off).

I have to say that even to me, the dancers looked amateur in comparison with Burn the Floor (although I couldn't even have come close to their standards either!). The theatre could have done with being a bit fuller - only about one-third to one-half of the seats taken on a Tuesday night for a bit more atmosphere - especially when the cast encourage audience participation at the end But it was a really fun night - the ideal compromise for missing dancing when a non-dancing friend makes a rare visit to London and wants to see a show - she really enjoyed SNF too.

I went to see 'We Will Rock You' (the musical based on the songs of Queen) the other day - I've been three times now and have never been disappointed. Great songs, a Ben Elton script, cool rocky singers and a fab and rather sexy troupe of dancers (doing Arlene Phillips choreography ) - what more could you want?

If anyone has a chance to go before January, take it, because the actress who has played the lead female role for the last 3 years is leaving, and will be practically irreplaceable as she is phenomenal.

Good thread with Christmas approaching !

I saw the Rat Pack recently in london. Only the 'Dean Martin' could really sing but all in all good ,although no real auidence participation

I understand they have started their christmas one now

I went to see 'Blood Brothers' a few weeks ago with cheap tickets my friend managed to obtain. I have to say, I thought it was fabulous and such an original play.

Yeay to the West End!!!

... Well .... i work there in my spare time!!!

Mid sized am/pro theatre in Nottingham, called Nottingham Arts Theatre.

I recently helped build the set for Diary of Anne Frank, a dead good two level set. Had to build L shaped stair way, and floor complete with joists and floor boards!!

On the last few nights, I played the German at the end who screams out "Auf Machen! Da Drinnen! Auf Machen! Schnell, Schnell!"

... Oi lurrrrve theatre!!

I'm still in mourning for the loss of Starlight Express. I feel quite sad that I only managed to see it seven times in London. The show gave me such a buzz that when I heard it was being replaced I saw it twice in one week to get my fix. Love the music, play the CD at home and in the car, it's great.

I suppose if I was a real fan I'd have seen it in Tokyo by now but for some reason that hasn't happened.

Bring back The Starlight!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee
    Bring back The Starlight!
    Absolutely agree with you - if only for the fact that an old friend of my mum's from music college was involved in the orchestration and arrangement of the score, so I'm extra-disappointed not to have ever seen it.

Another musical I've not seen but am desperate to is 'Jane Eyre - The Musical'. My parents saw this in New York about 5 years ago and were totally overwhelmed by it - in particular the music is fabulous, I know because they brought the CD back! But it didn't get great reviews, strangely since Americans are such Anglophiles, and so the show closed and hasn't come over here. If anyone ever hears whisper of this showing anywhere, please please please let me know!

Saw Lady Salsa a few weeks back - enjoyed it a lot and it really brought home just how fit you need to be as a professional dancer.

Another mini theatre/musical review for you (I know, where do I find the time/money to go to all these shows?) - I went to see the latest, freshest, filthiest show in the West End last week, Avenue Q.

Advertised as a musical for people who never thought they'd like musicals, with pictures of partially-clothed Sesame Street puppets and Parental Advisory stickers plastered everywhere, it might seem a bit bizarre. And that it is, as well as silly and very rude - but so much fun that we were a bit miserable when we went in and came out beaming from ear to ear and, over a week later, are still singing the songs (and not just because I got the cast recording).

The small cast are a group of some ordinary, some less ordinary, and some decidedly strange people living on a street in a rundown part of a city (New York, but could just as easily be London or Edinburgh). One has just lost his job, another has just graduated and hasn't figured out where he's going, another used to be famous but isn't anymore, another is simply looking for love, etc - and the way they all help each other keep a positive attitude to life is utterly heart-warming.

Some characters are played by people, some by puppets and people, and the way the puppeteer-acting is done is exquisite. Not only that, but there are some rather gorgeous people in the cast (girls, look out for Simon Lipkin ). The score is brilliant (you don't have to know a single song to enjoy it), the script is even better (I'll post some great quotes on Lyrical Moments later), and the whole thing is absolute genius.

Definitely recommended for a girls-and-boys night out (leave the kids at home, or preferably at somebody else's home, so you don't feel guilty for coming home, singing the songs and maybe even acting out some of the naughtier scenes). And it deserved every one of the 3 Tony Awards it won on Broadway.

Disclaimer: don't go to see this if you don't like bad language or innuendo. Come to think of it, don't know why I'm mentioning it on here, you're all far too innocent.

The nearest I have been to a theatre lately is visiting Witty in hospital!

The night before Ceroc Champs, my friend and I took advantage of our stay in London and went to see FOOTLOOSE - it was good but not as kicking as I expected it to be. The intro of the song though at full pelt really got everyone going!

I took my 13 year old son to see we will rock you in London. It was ace. Story a little corny but if you run with it you soon get in to it.
    It finishes in October well worth catching.

Has Dirty Dancing Opened in London yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jivingdan
    I took my 13 year old son to see we will rock you in London. It was ace. Story a little corny but if you run with it you soon get in to it.
    It finishes in October well worth catching.

Has Dirty Dancing Opened in London yet?

Don't know about Dirty Dancing, but We Will Rock You has extended its run, and is taking bookings up to (I think) next April.
    It was due to be replaced by the Lord of the Rings musical but that has been delayed.

Mrs Pretzelmeister

A few recommendations:

Festen - a darkly comic and disturbing piece about family breakdowns and abuse. Doesn't sound like a good recipe for an evening's entertainment but left us strung between laughter and utter shock - it was really good.

Saw Rik Mayall playing Alan B'Stard in The New Statesman a few weeks ago. Utterly filthy, puerile and had us shaking with laughter! Not for those of a sensitive disposition though

Went for a complete change the following night with The Ballet Traviata - a gorgeous use of the score by Northern Ballet Theatre, excellent choreography, well worth seeing if they're passing your way.

2 weeks ago took advantage of a gloriously sunny evening to see The Comedy of Errors in Glasgow's Botanic Gardens. A charming venue, madcap plot, well exectuted and very entertaining. Best of all you get to take a picnic! The run has finished but The Winter's Tale started on Wednesday and runs for another week so will try to catch that. Google for 'Bard In The Botanics' if you're interested. They are a reliable company - Romeo & Juliet and As You Like It last year were also fab.

Further ahead I have tickets for Habeas Corpus, Cats, Rocky Horror, Coppelia and Sleeping Beauty. Anyone got any other recommendations for touring productions?

As far as touring companies go Shared Experience theatre group perform the most amazing productions - seen lots of them: Mill on the Floss, Passage to India, Jane Eyre most recently, Mrs Rochester, to name a few. Just love the theatre and am lucky living where I do as I manage to get to most of the new productions as the National - rarely disappointed and at £10 a seat (if you book early) not a major outlay. Couple of the best were Coram Boy and His Dark Materials both of which were brilliant and recently The Overwhelming . Also got tickets for Blackbird at the Albery (a bit disturbing but brilliantly acted) and The Producers which was great fun. Love Matthew Bourne's dance productions too - seen the Carman, Swan Lake, Play without Words, Edward Scissorhands - apart from MJ and WCS dancing most of my disposable income seems to go on theatre visits, but money well spent!

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Went to see stomp last month! Wow, it was so much better than i expected it to be!

I am going to see chicago next month!

Hiya all,

Went to see Miss Saigon at the Bristol Hippodrome last month....

It was pretty good! The vocals seemed to get better as the performance when on, and boy could the girls wiggle!

Really nice theatre - very cosy and too the point. Nice restaurants nearby, and mid week easy to park up etc...

Bit of silly trivia... "the engineer" is actually the same bloke - right from the original production!.... My fav character - IMHO - he stole the show with his cheeky assured performance!

Another bit of silly trivia... The guy who cut my hair recently normally works in a barders near the hippodrome.... he gets loads of the actors coming in etc.... wel... he once cut a middle aged oriental gentlemen's hair, who was one of the actors in "miss saigon"...

I'll stop blathering now I think!

Martin

Thread Information