Thread: Wrap rage

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Wrap rage

No, it's nothing to do with a dance of that name.

This morning I Just wanted to remove the celophane wrapper from a packet of T bags, couldn't get a hold of a corner, dug finger nails in even harder NO JOY!
    Obviously I had a fight on my hands.....went over to the sink where there was a sharp knife, stabbed the box to try to gain just the smallest of entrances. No Joy! the box just went all floppy and offered no resistance.. Took up a fork and scored hard down one side, the fork went in real deep , (very satisfying!) the force and momentum ripped open the cellophane and dug in to the part of the box that was perforated, opening it up completely allowing the contents to fall into the washing up water!!!
    So there you have it, the box won
    What experiences have you had with modern wrappings, have you had wrap rage? What really gets to you ? Now I am considering getting up earlier in the morning so I can hate that box longer!

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

Re: Wrap rage

That is so funny, sorry

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee
    What experiences have you had with modern wrappings, have you had wrap rage? What really gets to you?
    Children's toys - you can't even rip the buggers open with force, they've got wrap things with wires, and they've even got screws in the packaging; I just can't believe you need a screwdriver to open these things.

Of course, your average small child is totally patient and understanding whilst you take 5 minutes to deconstruct all this packaging to actually get the flippin' toy out of the box...

GREAT rant!
    I hate those cellophane wrappings too. The trick seems to be to stab the point of the knife into a gap - between the lid and side of the box normally.

Look on the bright side, at least your teabags are clean.

Another thing that sends me into a rage is those little foil thingies on the opening for 1 litre juice cartons. Countless times I've tried to remove one of those to find the tab come off in my hand and the foil stubbornly stuck over the pouring spout. Then you have to stab through with a knife, which isn't the same because the carton pours oddly

Swinging Bee!

A classic case of "There but for the grace of the packaging God go I"

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Look on the bright side, at least your teabags are clean.
    . "Ere, this tea tastes like dishwater guv!"

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Children's toys - you can't even rip the buggers open with force, they've got wrap things with wires, and they've even got screws in the packaging; I just can't believe you need a screwdriver to open these things.

Of course, your average small child is totally patient and understanding whilst you take 5 minutes to deconstruct all this packaging to actually get the flippin' toy out of the box...

You just remined me (sorry i am blonde) who am i? oh yeah.. Anyway my daughter wanted a Fairy Topia she saw in Argos and being only 8 she was so excited to get it home. She started to open it but had no joy, so i took over and wish i never as there were so many tie wraps even stitching took us a good 15 mins between us to even get the doll out we were both getting so angry i landed up getting the scissors on it all, im quite a patient person but i do tend to lose it when it comes to these sort of things

Roll on christmas morning, think i may just take all the toys out of there boxes so i can have a peaceful christmas morning instead of taking it out on the cat

...... packet of T bags, ......
    Tha should fork out on Tetleys tha knaws. No cellophane wrapping. They're right gradely !!!

Two bags per mug, three and a half sugars, just a trickle of milk (not that poxy skimmed stuff mind), and you'll have hairs on your chest in no time.

You know how there is sometimes a hidden message within a message?

Well have a look at the quote in post #6. The stuff in bold type. Is there something subliminal you are trying to tell us Dee?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doc martin

Well have a look at the quote in post #6. The stuff in bold type. Is there something subliminal you are trying to tell us Dee?
    The secret is out...

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Just found something else to hate.....Cellophane on new Cds..AAAAGGGHHHH

With you on that one SB!. At least with the advent of the digital collection, I no longer care about keeping the case scratch free, since as soon as the cd is copied to my hard drive, it's put away out of sight anyway. Now I can just gouge the cellophane off with wild abandon

Still on wrap rage, but from a different point of view...

Has anyone else ever been tempted to remove all unnecessary packaging from their supermarket purchases and leave it behind? As supermarkets have to pay commercial waste disposal rates, if enough of us did this, then they would put pressure on manufacturers to reduce unnecessary packaging. I think this is what happened in Germany when domestic waste started being charged by volume, but I was thinking about it from a environmentally friendly tree-hugging hippy perspective. Maybe I should make more effort to shop "ethically" at farmers markets etc

Quote Originally Posted by doc martin

What are you going on about? what with me being blonde and all i don't have a clue

who is blonde? oh yeah me..

OMG! i know what you are talking about now

Just a shame im a natural blonde or i may just have to go dark

No, it's nothing to do with a dance of that name.

This morning I Just wanted to remove the celophane wrapper from a packet of T bags, couldn't get a hold of a corner, dug finger nails in even harder NO JOY!
    Obviously I had a fight on my hands.....went over to the sink where there was a sharp knife, stabbed the box to try to gain just the smallest of entrances. No Joy! the box just went all floppy and offered no resistance.. Took up a fork and scored hard down one side, the fork went in real deep , (very satisfying!) the force and momentum ripped open the cellophane and dug in to the part of the box that was perforated, opening it up completely allowing the contents to fall into the washing up water!!!
    So there you have it, the box won
    What experiences have you had with modern wrappings, have you had wrap rage? What really gets to you ? Now I am considering getting up earlier in the morning so I can hate that box longer!
    My electric tooth brush was 'wrapped' in this plastic covering . forget teeth and nail sizzors

Even stabbing the thing with a knife didnt work. when i did manage to cut a corner of with a bread knife , the thing still wouldnt come off, had to hack it all off

That and those wraps around VHS tapes . they must know you want to record the top 40 at xmas and know you cant get the bloody tape in for 10 mins because of the way its wrapped

Give it to your senile elderly gran and tell her there is a 'cup of tea' in side. will keep you and her amused for hours

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames

WittyBird lesson in opening childrens toys
    This is generally to be done before you wrap the presents and place under tree or wherever...

You will need:-

1. stanley knife (make sure you have an adult to help you DJ)
    2. Sellotape
    3. Recycle bag

Take present number 1 and with stanley knife carefully slice off the sellotape
    Open Box and slowly ease present out of box
    With Nimble fingers start unwinding plastic tie tag things (put to one side as they are great for using in the garden to tie plants)

Dee before you ask - NO - they are not suitable for the bedroom

Once toy item is free:-

Place all unwanted Cra* in the recycling bag
    Check if requires batteries and if so install correct sizes
    Place said toy back in box and secure
    Wrap toy up and place under tree or wherever

On celebration day when child wants toy its easily accessible you dont have half as much waste or recycling to deal with and you find its more peaceful
    hope that helps
    Last edited by WittyBird; 15th-November-2005 at 07:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    { snip instructions }
    Fantastic! Why did nobody tell me this stuff before?

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Still on wrap rage, but from a different point of view...

Has anyone else ever been tempted to remove all unnecessary packaging from their supermarket purchases and leave it behind? As supermarkets have to pay commercial waste disposal rates, if enough of us did this, then they would put pressure on manufacturers to reduce unnecessary packaging. I think this is what happened in Germany when domestic waste started being charged by volume, but I was thinking about it from a environmentally friendly tree-hugging hippy perspective. Maybe I should make more effort to shop "ethically" at farmers markets etc
    I hadn't thought of this, but if I'm doing a grocery shop I usually take an old-fashioned (cotton) string shopping bag. It's eco-friendly, doesn't cut into your hands nor split at a crucial moment ... and has the capacity of a tardis.

... or DVDs ... might be overkill, but a scalpel seems to do the trick

Thread Information