Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Myers Briggs/ personality testing

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Myers Briggs/ personality testing

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    1. Read all the guide books before going and have 4 highlighter colour code for every tyoe of activity?
    2. Turn up, book accomodation as you go and wander down back-alleys that look interesting

I felt ill when she described number 2.
    I'd go for number 2 nearly every time. Although I did know what hotels we were going to be in for our honeymoon, less time wasting that way

I have fond memories of playing football with kids in the alley outside a backpackers hotel in Luxor in Egypt, we booked it because it was in a good location, clean and cheap - theres no way we could find that out without having been there.

The one I remember is how do you plan your holiday? Do you?

1. Read all the guide books before going and have 4 highlighter colour code for every type of activity?
    2. Turn up, book accomodation as you go and wander down back-alleys that look interesting
    This again are the two extremes of the scale. And, again, I think I'm somewhere in the middle.

I like to have my accommodation, etc., all sorted before I go, but there have been holidays where I've only got the first few days accommodation sorted, leaving me free to do whatever I please the rest of the time.

I will usually buy guide books for the places I'm visiting, but I never get round to reading them properly and prefer to wander around and see what turns up.

I hate highlighters.

It's funny though, as when in the presence of a strongly type-1 person, I'm happy being led, while with a more type-2 person, I tend to become the leader.

But just thinking about this makes me realise... I need to have a proper holiday soon.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

I did all these test years ago when they were trendy. I vaguely remember MB made me ENTP whatever that means/meant and I remember that PF16 saying I was extreme, scoring 10 or 1 out of 10 on every measure except "needing people" where I was in the middle There was a chart where my line went down the right hand side, crossed over a few from the bottom and then went down the left - most people seemed to have a line ziz-zagging around the middle. The results of these tests are telling you what you are - the results should be no surprise to you, they describe you as much as measuring the carbon emissions from your car's exhaust tells you about its engine.

What I found much more useful was the expert psychologists guidance in coaching me to find what my type of person should be doing - and it was especially useful to find out what I should be avoiding - especially when I was told I was unsuited to open plan offices because I was such an extrovert I wouldn't be able to do anything but listen to everyone's conversations and answer everyone's ringing 'phones. You could even regard the tests as diagnostics. They don't give you a treatment or any guidance they just measure you - it's up to you what you do once you've been measured but the measurements do give a guide to the most appropriate 'treatments'.
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 12th-November-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Hi

1. Read all the guide books before going and have 4 highlighter colour code for every tyoe of activity?

I felt ill when she described number 2.

Clive
    Number One brought me out in a cold sweat at the thought of all the demands and constraints! Thinking about it, I responded very badly in a workplace dominated by the "4 highlighter colour code" mentality. But that's all in the past.
    An hour ago I was eNTp, now I'm iNTp. Absolutely nothing of note has happened to me in the intervening hour but I did reinterpret some of the questions second time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious

For the self-therapists out there, there is also the colour test which gave me results that I found really interesting, but is a much more personal rather than job-oriented test.
    This was great fun to do and seemed spookily accurate, although I wonder if the "horoscope" effect was working, i.e. pick the bits that fit and ignore the rest.

I also wondered if human perception is programmed to pick reds and yellows first, as I did. Isn't that the reason why a lot of packaging uses those colours?

OK I did the link one and came out ENTJ. Doing MBTI with trained practitioners both times I came out ENTP - though the second time I getting much closer to F. But I think the questions in the online test are very simplitistic and easy to answer what you think you should put, or what sort of result you are going to get, the full test isn't really like that.

FP, I've also read Gifts Differing, think I have it in the house somewhere, also helpful.

The way I look at it is not to treat any of these tests as some sort of final word on your personality, but as a tool for self understanding - it can be helpful, esp if used in conjunction with other tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    The way I look at it is not to treat any of these tests as some sort of final word on your personality, but as a tool for self understanding - it can be helpful, esp if used in conjunction with other tools.
    I know this is the area where I've found people most struggle with these sorts of things - a "don't put me into a box" attitude (check out the 'What's Aussie style thread') - no one seems to particularly like being described.... But I agree I think that these things can really help us to understand ourselves - I know for one that when I've done them they tend to come out similar from one time to another, slight differences (which usually I can associate to things that are currently going on for myself), but on the whole very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    OK I did the link one and came out ENTJ. Doing MBTI with trained practitioners both times I came out ENTP - though the second time I getting much closer to F. But I think the questions in the online test are very simplitistic and easy to answer what you think you should put, or what sort of result you are going to get, the full test isn't really like that.
    It sounds like you're maybe doing something like I tend to - usually when I do one of these now I analyse the way that I answer the test more than I do the results of the test and use this as a tool to help me understand myself.

It seems to me that some people answer quickly and easily, other struggle for ages over which is the right answer, others answer one way on one question and another way on a very similar question and others tend to say "why does it matter, what is everyone else doing?"

Thread Information