View Poll Results: What makes a dance great?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • The music

61 61.62%
  • How I am dancing

43 43.43%
  • How my partner is dancing

52 52.53%
  • The atmosphere at the venue

32 32.32%
  • Something else

24 24.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does it for you?

B.T.C.

Re: What does it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    "complex moves" are not really "complex" - all they contain are variations on beginners moves.

well Gadget... some moves are complex in that they require more attention and are more difficult to complete and to lead. A whole range of moves are not particularly complex but they are 'intermediate' moves rather than beginners eg the archiespin.

And just because a move may be a variuation it doesn't mean it's not complex. I find some of Viktors moves very complex but other men might find them pretty easy.

As for cutting moves short...that's fine if well led and on the beat otherwise the poor woman will be off balance and woner what the hell happened to the move !!

Commercial Operator

Been playing with Elbow-rolls
    What's an elbow roll?

Greg

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

From various sources, closing your eyes does help your dancing; you "feel" the moves more rather than anticipating.

Looking at your feet is not advisable: It dosn't look good and they are only there to stop you falling over - anything else is just style. Head up and back straight - if you can at least fake confidence, then your dancing will look a lot better. {In my opinion anyway }

Hmmm Faking it... good idea. I may try that one because i have no realy confidence in the dance just yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    Hi Drathzel, Well it sort of helps me no end! If I can't look at their face cas their just too damn dashing, I look at the mid-point between their shoulders and down an inch or two. This point is the first point that moves so I can tell by monitoring this spot where they are off to next. I picked it up from inline hockey and tae kwon do. Before I learnt how to follow properly I followed just by using this point.

It does get easier to give eye contact when you know them better so try to get chatting with them for a while before you go on to dance. You can ask them if they would like the next dance with you and chat with them about the music any thing else that springs to mind. I find it very difficult if I'm just asked cold by someone I don't know who is drop dead gorgeous and dancers like a god...

...but if there is anyone out there like that I REALLY need the practice so drop me a PM and we'll see if I can work through this at last

ok where on earth do you practice cuz there is only one decent guy in our group!! I wanna know where all these drop dead gorgeous ones, everyone is talking about, are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Give yourself a break. You've only been to a few classes. Rome wasn't built in a day you know....

Trampy

I know i just think i need all the help i can get and getting all this advice helps!! Everyone is so helpful and i look forward to meeting and dancing with you all at BFG!! (if i can arrange to go)

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    ok where on earth do you practice cuz there is only one decent guy in our group!! I wanna know where all these drop dead gorgeous ones, everyone is talking about, are!!!
    Don't worry about all the drop dead gorgeous ones Danielle, they're far too conceited to care. Stick with us ugly sods, we'll treat you right

London - more specifically, H!P$T3R$

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    What's an elbow roll?

Greg
    Easier to explain one handed: R to ladies R, turn her as per a normal turn/return, but you change the dropping of the hand to finish; hand starts to follow the same path, but the elbow remains high and comes over to the inside of the ladies arm, hand is released and lead/contact continues with the outside of the upper arm and shoulder.
    Normally I turn under it at this point, ending in a R-shoulder in-line stance facing my partner, her hand on my shoulder; slide back and sway in to finish.
    Double handed is roughly the same; most of the lead is the R hand, the L just holds on.

There is also a move R to L, taking the lady forward where you point your elbow to her face(almost) then hooking it over the top of the lady's arm; I'm sure that's an elbow roll as well.

Confused yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Don't worry about all the drop dead gorgeous ones Danielle, they're far too conceited to care. Stick with us ugly sods, we'll treat you right

I'd be lucky if even the "ugly sods" would look at me. But hey i love to dance and my enthusasm is catching.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    London - more specifically, H!P$T3R$

a bit far away from me for weekly class unfortunately!!!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Confused yet?
    Yes!

So glad I'm not a man!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    So glad I'm not a man!
    So are we - wouldn't have half as much fun dancing with you if you were

I'd be lucky if even the "ugly sods" would look at me. But hey i love to dance and my enthusasm is catching.
    Hey, I refuse to be defined/insulted/offended until I'm sure who's playing.

Don't worry about us men, trust me its a wonderful and constant suprise that people keep asking me to dance with them.

And its true what they're telling you. Keep doing it and you get better Relax and enjoy.

I thought that they must be at your place 'cas you had all this trouble coming over a'tremblin'!
    There's some fine lookin' men around these parts. Next time your passing I'll give you a tour...If there are any that are too handsome to dance with you just turn them down nicely,

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    I thought that they must be at your place 'cas you had all this trouble coming over a'tremblin'!
    There's some fine lookin' men around these parts. Next time your passing I'll give you a tour...If there are any that are too handsome to dance with you just turn them down nicely,

I've never turned down a dance in my life and i dont intend to start!! I'll just have to make a prat of myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    Hey, I refuse to be defined/insulted/offended until I'm sure who's playing.

Don't worry about us men, trust me its a wonderful and constant suprise that people keep asking me to dance with them.

And its true what they're telling you. Keep doing it and you get better Relax and enjoy.

i can't remember if you said but do you go to tues or wed night classes?

I've never turned down a dance in my life and i dont intend to start!! I'll just have to make a prat of myself!!
    Well, when ya commin' gal? Just look at their chests and concentrate on their bodies! It works.. OK?

i can't remember if you said but do you go to tues or wed night classes?
    Hi there, I'm a Tuesday kind of a guy

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    Well, would "rhythmic strokes with a slight turn of the wrist" get this thread back on topic?!?
    Possibly
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena
    Possibly
    Try me...

Thread Information