View Poll Results: What makes a dance great?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • The music

61 61.62%
  • How I am dancing

43 43.43%
  • How my partner is dancing

52 52.53%
  • The atmosphere at the venue

32 32.32%
  • Something else

24 24.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does it for you?

Registered User White Knuckle Ride's Avatar
    Originally posted by John S
    the Message Board, like ordinary conversation, should be used to strengthen the links between all of us who love to dance, and if sometimes that means we fill the space with comments that aren't of earth-shattering importance, so what?
    Spot on John. Deep meaningless conversations keep lines of communication going until the more profound stuff kicks in.

Originally posted by White Knuckle Ride
    Spot on John. Deep meaningless conversations keep lines of communication going until the more profound stuff kicks in.
    I think that is why there is a section called chit-chat

Re: What does it for you?

All I need as a cool track, a guy who dances with a smile on his face and his hands off your a**e .

I'm simple like that

Claire

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Emma - I agree. Go through the move afterwards and them grab him for another dance straight after - so that you can put it into practice.

What does it for me? I prefer the slightly slower tracks (for example, Mustang Sally or Fever), just because you can make an effort with more "style points". A man with a good lead and a sense of humour, and good rhythm! Oh, and who actually looks at you when he's dancing.

Actually - that's the most annoying thing ever. In class, when someone is always looking at the teachers & never looks you in the eye. :reallymad

I am only a beginner and i am very self consious and find it hard to look at the man when i am dancing, especially if he is very good at dancing or if he is extremly good looking

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    I am only a beginner and i am very self consious and find it hard to look at the man when i am dancing, especially if he is very good at dancing or if he is extremly good looking
    One solution is to look at and follow the lead hand: much better than just avoiding looking at your partner. You can look at his ear or chin as well - this gives the illusion that you are looking at them.

Alternativly, dance with your eyes closed; a good lead should be able to dance and lead you without any visual signals. I know a few ladies that close there eyes for segments of the dance. I have been known to lead with my eyes closed on occasion as well... hmmm... that might explain a few things

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    One solution is to look at and follow the lead hand: much better than just avoiding looking at your partner. You can look at his ear or chin as well - this gives the illusion that you are looking at them.

Alternativly, dance with your eyes closed; a good lead should be able to dance and lead you without any visual signals. I know a few ladies that close there eyes for segments of the dance. I have been known to lead with my eyes closed on occasion as well... hmmm... that might explain a few things

Thats actually really a good idea. I close my eyes often when i listen to music so it wouldn't be that mush difference....except i have no balance!!!

I find i'm looking at my feet trying to make sue they go in the right direction!!!!

Noticed last night when dancing with the more experienced ladies that the little variations on bginners moves, eg yo-yo or 1st move, brought a smile to the face of someone who till that point did not seem impressed. I'm enjoying this, seems to bring a bit of life to the dance without needing to know lot of comlex moves.

Me too Drathzel, if they are really good looking just focus on their body,
    I find it helps

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    Me too Drathzel, if they are really good looking just focus on their body,
    I find it helps

Do you not find it hard to concentrate on thats as well as everything else? i don't think that i have got the hang of being completely led

Thats actually really a good idea. I close my eyes often when i listen to music so it wouldn't be that mush difference....except i have no balance!!!

I find i'm looking at my feet trying to make sue they go in the right direction!!!!
    From various sources, closing your eyes does help your dancing; you "feel" the moves more rather than anticipating.

Looking at your feet is not advisable: It dosn't look good and they are only there to stop you falling over - anything else is just style. Head up and back straight - if you can at least fake confidence, then your dancing will look a lot better. {In my opinion anyway }

Do you not find it hard to concentrate on thats as well as everything else? i don't think that i have got the hang of being completely led
    Hi Drathzel, Well it sort of helps me no end! If I can't look at their face cas their just too damn dashing, I look at the mid-point between their shoulders and down an inch or two. This point is the first point that moves so I can tell by monitoring this spot where they are off to next. I picked it up from inline hockey and tae kwon do. Before I learnt how to follow properly I followed just by using this point.

It does get easier to give eye contact when you know them better so try to get chatting with them for a while before you go on to dance. You can ask them if they would like the next dance with you and chat with them about the music any thing else that springs to mind. I find it very difficult if I'm just asked cold by someone I don't know who is drop dead gorgeous and dancers like a god...

...but if there is anyone out there like that I REALLY need the practice so drop me a PM and we'll see if I can work through this at last

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    I find it very difficult if I'm just asked cold by someone I don't know who is drop dead gorgeous and dancers like a god...

Funny! I don't seem to find that difficult to cope with at all!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Funny! I don't seem to find that difficult to cope with at all!
    I definately need more practice then!
    Tell me do you look at their face or try and distract yourself by looking elsewhere?
    We do need some guidance here...

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    Noticed last night when dancing with the more experienced ladies that the little variations on bginners moves, eg yo-yo or 1st move, brought a smile to the face of someone who till that point did not seem impressed. I'm enjoying this, seems to bring a bit of life to the dance without needing to know lot of comlex moves.
    You're on the verge of a breakthrough: "complex moves" are not really "complex" - all they contain are variations on beginners moves.
    For example - just now I'm experimenting by not finishing any moves; First move in and twist out, but then just moving round to face and doing another move eg octopus. Or start an arm jive, and simply let go the hip hand and put my partner into a lady-spin. Or start a Cattapult, then duck under the barrier arm on exit instead of bringing the lady infront to spin. Nothing "complex"; just variations on beginners moves that keep my partner alert.

First move in and twist out, but then just moving round to face and doing another move eg octopus
    Hmm, presumably you need an extra beat to do a step back between moving to face and starting an octopus? Otherwise I think you'd be too close.

Commercial Operator

and find it hard to look at the man when i am dancing,
    There's a whole thread on this - eye contact It will get easier to do in time, and it is worth it, it's one of the single most effective things that can make a dance go from to

Greg

The Forum Legend

Give yourself a break. You've only been to a few classes. Rome wasn't built in a day you know....

Trampy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Give yourself a break. You've only been to a few classes. Rome wasn't built in a day you know....

Trampy
    and get lots of practice in, 'specially with those really dishy guys... where did you say you dance??

Commercial Operator

Well, would "rhythmic strokes with a slight turn of the wrist" get this thread back on topic?!?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Hmm, presumably you need an extra beat to do a step back between moving to face and starting an octopus? Otherwise I think you'd be too close.
    Dunno. I think from being side to side with arm folded, I start the lady stepping back, while I pivot, following her, then past so the arms are barriers, we are side by side, and I've rotated 270ยบ. Not much to it really - hardest bit is picking up the spare hand.
    To be honest, it's more intuative than thought out: the conseous descision is to not finish - what happens after that depends on the music, where my partner moves and how the movement flows.

I just discovered a cool new variation to a move on Tuesday this way: double handed elbow roll into cattapult finish. (Been playing with Elbow-rolls since Marc taught a couple in some workshops I went to )

Thread Information