View Poll Results: What makes a dance great?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • The music

61 61.62%
  • How I am dancing

43 43.43%
  • How my partner is dancing

52 52.53%
  • The atmosphere at the venue

32 32.32%
  • Something else

24 24.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does it for you?

Originally posted by John S

If you get it printed in braille it might be more rewarding.
    I do think so....those lovely fingers running across my chest...mmmmmmmm

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you get it printed in braille it might be more rewarding.

Originally posted by jiveoholic
    Steady on boys!

Franck.

P.S. Where can I get that t-shirt?

Which move is that? The only dance moves I know with fingers running across your partner's body go behind his back.... Or am I going wrong somewhere?

I like the idea of a shirt with your prefences shown on it. If only it could be applied to more areas of life...

Jayne

Originally posted by Franck

Steady on boys!

Franck.

P.S. Where can I get that t-shirt?
    Hi Franck, made up the pattern myself with Coreldraw and printed my own using a special T-shirt film on my printer. It is then ironed on. Costs about 1£ + T-shirt.

well heather!
    Sorry its taken me so long to your rather sad comments
    about my boring friday (allmost two weeks ago)
    as I've been offshore I missed your unkind remarks!
    some freinds did relay the content to me, but!
    as I make it a rule of mine never to attack anything or anybody
    lower down the food chain than me, I will not reply to those comments!

I will thank those who did defend my position,
    ceroc is about people making freinds braking down barriers,
    having a laugh at yourself and with others,not attacking others you dont know!
    this site I hope carries on those principles.
    if thats not what you think feel free to a site that serves your principles better, or stay and chill
    regards

Re: What does it for you?

Originally posted by Graham
    I was having a conversation the other day about the most important factors contributing to one's enjoyment of a dance. What comes together to make the "perfect" dance experience for you?
    Hi, being a fairly new recruit to Ceroc I would say that the music is the first thing to get me onto the dance floor and give me the courage to ask someone to dance with me; if it's a good tune/beat I can do this easily. I originally thought the venue was really important but if the music is right it doesn't really matter. Our parties in Aberdeen are held in what looks a bit like a school hall (no offence meant here by the way) but once the music starts playing it doesn't matter. I had a brilliant night.

Dancing with someone who is a good lead and who looks as if he is enjoying dancing with me, yes smiling, even when I stand on their toes, is so important. Variety is great but not the most important thing. Having lots of dances with cheery partners to good music about sums it up for me.

Cheers

Sandra

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    I totally think practising new / tricky moves is useful and can be fun, but it is best to do this off the dance floor / outside of the freestyle with a willing partner until such moves are perfected and then feel natural in freestyle.
    I totally agree. I was having a brilliant dance the other night (something by Frank Sinatra, a really good male lead, and eye contact: can't lose!) and then he paused to teach me a move I didn't know. Which is great, I love learning new moves; but in the middle of a great freestyle moment for me it was a bit frustrating. I'd rather people carried on dancing and then took a moment at the end of a dance to go through a move. That way I get the best of both worlds...great dance, and a new move

Blog Entries
    Emma - I agree. Go through the move afterwards and them grab him for another dance straight after - so that you can put it into practice.

What does it for me? I prefer the slightly slower tracks (for example, Mustang Sally or Fever), just because you can make an effort with more "style points". A man with a good lead and a sense of humour, and good rhythm! Oh, and who actually looks at you when he's dancing.

Actually - that's the most annoying thing ever. In class, when someone is always looking at the teachers & never looks you in the eye. :reallymad

Originally posted by Lou
    Hi David,

Yup - of course I wouldn't advocate not ever looking at the teacher! Of course you need to see what they're doing.
    Just to throw in my two penny worth (cent worth?)....I remember when I first learned to jive thinking that the teaching was so good from a teacher in Basingstoke called Steve that a blind person could learn to dance from the instructions.

Teachers.....a challenge to you! Always teach as if your "congegration" cannot see. This is not as stupid as it suggests as most cannot as they are too far away!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Teachers.....a challenge to you! Always teach as if your "congegration" cannot see. This is not as stupid as it suggests as most cannot as they are too far away!
    Not as unlikely as it might sound, I remember a couple of years ago in Aberdeen, a blind lady was learning Ceroc... We also had a guy in a wheel-chair who was actually doing really well !

There are challenges aplenty for teachers, though I have to admit that as the saying goes, the worst blind are those who refuse to see (or those who think they know it all and refuse to hear !)

As far as looking at your partner / teacher, it is a tricky one, it seems some people manage to look at neither (probably out of shyness and nerves though).
    I wonder what the proper etiquette would be during a class when partners are rotated... Do you introduce yourself, do you say hi? Do you say nothing but smile? Do you run?
    Do you find you have taken your partnerÕs hand immediately and then the teacher is taking ages to get started...
    Do you comment on your partnerÕs progress?

Tell us all what you do and what you would like your partners to do... I am sure most of us would find this very interesting.

Franck.

As far as looking at your partner / teacher, it is a tricky one, it seems some people manage to look at neither (probably out of shyness and nerves though).
    I wonder what the proper etiquette would be during a class when partners are rotated... Do you introduce yourself, do you say hi? Do you say nothing but smile? Do you run?
    Do you find you have taken your partnerÕs hand immediately and then the teacher is taking ages to get started...
    Do you comment on your partnerÕs progress?

Tell us all what you do and what you would like your partners to do... I am sure most of us would find this very interesting.

Franck.
    Hi

I find that most guys don't introduce themselves, a few do but I think shyness plays a large part in this particularly if they are new, older members maybe assume you know their name already! I think it would be nice if we did introduce ourselves, it would break the ice a bit although the class might last a bit longer! I'm just as guilty, I tend to just smile or say something general like "how's it going?". I think saying something is better than saying nothing at all.

Definitely don't take the partners hand - a bit too shy for that!
    Guys tend to take the lead on this and occasionally have taken my hand a bit too soon and by the time the class actually starts our hands have gone a bit sweaty! but you don't like to draw your hand away in case the guy is insulted.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sandy

The Forum Legend

Re: Posting Messages

Originally posted by Heather
    Well , I must say , I didn't realise there was a competition going to see who could post the most messages on the board!!!!
    My motto is " If you don't have anything relevant to say- Keep your mouth shut".
    John McAuley obviously has a lot of time on his hands, he either needs to get himself a real job or at least hope his boss doesn't find out that he is spending most of his time on the Internet. No wonder the British economy is in its present state.
    Its just as well those of us who are teachers, doctors, nurses and other public servants don't take a leaf out of his book!!!!!
    I certainly hope he works for private industry- I'd hate to think my taxes are paying for his internet time.
    Well. I'm glad that I didn't see this post until now....

Were you having a bad day then Heather??

Anyhow, of course, I'll immediately stop posting now!!

Trampy

and if sometimes that means we fill the space with comments that aren't of earth-shattering importance, so what?

But let's not have a go at each other, ok? Life's too short and uncertain
    Well said

Re: What does it for you?

Who's dragging up all these old polls?
    Originally posted by Graham
    I was having a conversation the other day about the most important factors contributing to one's enjoyment of a dance. What comes together to make the "perfect" dance experience for you?
    For me, I think that it's the connection between me, my partner and the music.
    I have foud that I tend to have a great start and middle to a dance and screw up the end; or a great start and end, but screw up the middle; or even a great middle and end having screwed up the start. The less I screw up, the better the 'feel' of the dance...strange that

Some things can make up for others - eg an un-inspiring track, but an inspiring partner can still be a great dance; or a buzzing atmosphere making up for a poor venue... etc.

To have a great dance, all I think you need is a bit of space, a responsive partner, some decent music and {the hardest bit} not leading the lady into something impossable to get out of again smoothly/with dignaty/at all/...

"You choose, I'll lead"!

but how many of us even bother to ask

Going back on the other planet
    It has to be whom I am dancing with
    Last night my first dance was with an amazing lady -
    A shy smile, a slight pout and you know exactly what moves to do

Originally posted by Sandy
    Hi

I find that most guys don't introduce themselves, a few do but I think shyness plays a large part in this particularly if they are new, older members maybe assume you know their name already! I think it would be nice if we did introduce ourselves, it would break the ice a bit although the class might last a bit longer! I'm just as guilty, I tend to just smile or say something general like "how's it going?". I think saying something is better than saying nothing at all.

Cheers

Sandy
    Reading this old thread leads me to say that during lessons and partner rotation I always introduce myself to my partner. ( a practice taught by both local teachers Graham Lecerc and Mikey) I try my best to remeber all the names of the partners for their return.

It certainly impressses them when 10 minutes later you say "hello ..... welcome back ! " hows the lesson?" but I see it as a matter of courtesy.

But the main point is if you are going to be dancing together and especially if you are dancing and learning close up moves (especially at Mikey's lessons) you should at least know the name of the person you are being up close to.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and if sometimes that means we fill the space with comments that aren't of earth-shattering importance, so what?

But let's not have a go at each other, ok? Life's too short and uncertain
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said

I can but agree!!! life is far too short for bickering over dance which should be so much fun

Without wishing to hog this thread too much more I feel that the music is a major factor in having a great night.

When your DJ plays a set and you come off the dance floor exhausted but the next track inspires you to grab the nearest partner to continue and this occurs repeatedly through an evening I think THIS MUSIC is the inspiration to the dancers to enjoy the evening.

I have been to a couple of venues where the music has been so unispiring that I have sat out for track after track. only really getting up to dance in response to a request.

I never say "NO"

had to put my little comment onto here.!!

what really gets me going ( ) is when i dance with someone who interprets well to the music ....so often i have dances which have good moves in but are not being danced to the music!!!

second on my list... music!! i love diff styles of music so im not fussy!!!

and thirdly.... men smile!!!!!!!

such a lot of men dont!! .....an us ladies love it when u do!!

little em x x

Originally posted by littleemc-central
    what really gets me going ( ) is when i dance with someone who interprets well to the music ....so often i have dances which have good moves in but are not being danced to the music!!!

second on my list... music!! i love diff styles of music so im not fussy!!!

and thirdly.... men smile!!!!!!!
    Summed it up pretty well there!

I enjoy a dance most when that whole 'lead-follow' thing clicks and for those few minutes your focus is on that connection, on responding to partner and music - bliss!

But how I am dancing affects things for me too as if I feel I am dancing badly, that my partner must be having a bad dance and feel guilty about that.

Thread Information