View Poll Results: What makes a dance great?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • The music

61 61.62%
  • How I am dancing

43 43.43%
  • How my partner is dancing

52 52.53%
  • The atmosphere at the venue

32 32.32%
  • Something else

24 24.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does it for you?

What does it for you?

I was having a conversation the other day about the most important factors contributing to one's enjoyment of a dance. What comes together to make the "perfect" dance experience for you?

For me, it's a fairly even split between the music (how easy it is for me to follow the beat, and whether I like the particular track), how well I am dancing (thinking of moves, correctly leading, and if I'm really in the groove adding some style), and my partner (basically how much I like dancing with them, and whether they appear to be enjoying themselves).

I would say that I probably only need a couple of tracks in an evening where these things come together well for me to class the whole class/party as a good night.

So what about everyone else?

For me, the main thing is how my partner is dancing. If she looks like she's enjoying it, with good eye contact, following the lead and the beat then I dance better and it just makes a great dance. This sometimes happens to music that I wouldn't normally rate as a favourite dance track.

The same applies when you ask someone you haven't met before, maybe a at new venue or a visitor to your regular venue, and as the dance progresses and you move from basic moves to "judge" her standard and move onto the slightly more advanced stuff. Sometime you get that magic moment when her expression changes from wariness (as if saying "I don't know whether I will enjoy this") to the big grin which says "this is going really well". That's when it all comes together!

Keep on dancin'

Dave

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Dave on that one, the most important thing for me is the partner I am dancing with. Not so much how well she is dancing, but the rapport / communication we establish during the dance.
    Music probably comes as a close second, but that too will be influenced by whom I am dancing with... Some partners fit some styles of music more than others...
    How I dance comes last, but maybe it is easy for me to say

Franck.

Blog Entries
    Since the Championships week-end, I have come to revise my opinion slightly... I reckon, the atmosphere at a venue has a big impact after all. Both Saturday night and Sunday the atmosphere was electric, and certainly did it for me. I had some of my best dances ever this week-end, first of all thanks to all of my partners, but also because of the general mood and excitement we were all experiencing.

So, thanks to all of you who danced with me. You made my week-end.

Cheers,

Franck.

The music is the most important for me
    if its good - you are more likely to make more of an effort
    If its bad - it can be a task
    if its real bad - time to find a hole to jump in.

regards

just in case anyone has spotted it
    Im bored at work and Im trying to be the first name
    on as many threads as possible.
    I may even try for a new site record!

bored at work

yeah John, I spotted it. I know the signs - still it IS Friday....

Amanda

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by John McAulay
    just in case anyone has spotted it
    Im bored at work and Im trying to be the first name
    on as many threads as possible.
    I may even try for a new site record!
    Good attempt John, but it seems you still have a way to go if you want to catch up with the likes of :
    John S 56
    filthycute Ê41
    Stuart M Ê Ê33
    Sheena Ê Ê 32
    Jayne Ê 31
    bill foreman 21

So far you have managed 20 posts. Not bad, but could do better.
    It looks like filthycute is catching up with John S though!

Franck.

How embarrassing - what a saddo I must be

I suppose the mark of "success" in this is when you've submitted more posts than the years of your age. At 56 posts (now 57) I'm making no comment without consulting my solicitor.

Franck,

Ah yes, but if you look at posts per day, John McAulay is way up there - third only to you (3 posts every 2 days) and John S (1 post every 2 days).

I'll tactfully refrain from commenting on John S's post. After all, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

So if i get to 50 posts will i get my name changed Franck?
    I'm not sure if "honorary Angel is ...erm.....apt anymore

filthycute x x

I'm probably on another planet here but...
    ...I enjoy a dance if my partner and I learn to do something well by the end of the dance that we could not at the beginning. It really does not matter if it is with a beginner and a beginner move (eg arm jive) is metamorphasised into an arm-jive teapot or some flashy dip with someone more experienced.

I tend to treat jive like a game of squash - I want, by the end of the evening to have had a good work-out and mental stimulation too - the fact that its with a "girlie" is a secondary benefit - although I have to admit to dancing once with a man (who invaded my three-some!) and shall not do that again in a hurry!

Posting Messages

Well , I must say , I didn't realise there was a competition going to see who could post the most messages on the board!!!!
    My motto is " If you don't have anything relevant to say- Keep your mouth shut".
    John McAuley obviously has a lot of time on his hands, he either needs to get himself a real job or at least hope his boss doesn't find out that he is spending most of his time on the Internet. No wonder the British economy is in its present state.
    Its just as well those of us who are teachers, doctors, nurses and other public servants don't take a leaf out of his book!!!!!
    I certainly hope he works for private industry- I'd hate to think my taxes are paying for his internet time.

Unhappy

Come on, Heather - I really don't think the ills of the British economy can all be laid at the door of the Ceroc Chat Forum!! Just don't suggest that to Gordon Brown.

I won't be getting into an argument about this, but I don't mind how many messages anyone sends or when they send them - the Message Board, like ordinary conversation, should be used to strengthen the links between all of us who love to dance, and if sometimes that means we fill the space with comments that aren't of earth-shattering importance, so what?

But let's not have a go at each other, ok? Life's too short and uncertain

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by jiveoholic
    I'm probably on another planet here but...
    ...I enjoy a dance if my partner and I learn to do something well by the end of the dance that we could not at the beginning. It really does not matter if it is with a beginner and a beginner move (eg arm jive) is metamorphasised into an arm-jive teapot or some flashy dip with someone more experienced.

I tend to treat jive like a game of squash - I want, by the end of the evening to have had a good work-out and mental stimulation too - the fact that its with a "girlie" is a secondary benefit - although I have to admit to dancing once with a man (who invaded my three-some!) and shall not do that again in a hurry!
    Wow, Jiveoholic, do you really treat dancing like a game of squash?
    Do you measure the quality of a dance by how much you learnt while dancing?
    If so, then I'll have to agree with you, you really must be from another planet

This is quite interesting, as no doubt, we all get different things out of dancing, while assuming everyone else is the same...
    I have to admit that my main satisfaction / pleasure is seeing my partner happy during a dance (a purely selfish wish on my part).
    Learning new things should be left to the classes / workshops and side practice, Freestyle is just there for fun (and showing off a bit ).

I'll leave the "dancing with a man" bit for another thread...

Franck.

Originally posted by Franck
    Wow, Jiveoholic, do you really treat dancing like a game of squash?....you really must be from another planet
    I have to admit that my main satisfaction / pleasure is seeing my partner happy during a dance (a purely selfish wish on my part).
    Learning new things should be left to the classes / workshops ....
    Franck.
    Yes - quite - so have you asked what gives pleasure to a lady? I know so many ladies that want to learn but the men are quite happy to do the same old steps they are used to. I know so many ladies that complain that the men do not even try to get the moves they learned in the lesson right - or even try them at all.

Perhaps I put it a bit extremely, but do the ladies want to do moves that take a bit of effort to learn (with steps such as the columbian or getting the timing right on a jump or hop-hop)?

Over to you ladies...

Blog Entries
    ...have you asked what gives pleasure to a lady? I know so many ladies that want to learn but the men are quite happy to do the same old steps they are used to. I know so many ladies that complain that the men do not even try to get the moves they learned in the lesson right - or even try them at all.

Perhaps I put it a bit extremely, but do the ladies want to do moves that take a bit of effort to learn (with steps such as the columbian or getting the timing right on a jump or hop-hop)?

Over to you ladies...
    Indeed, I am with you on this one, and I am sure that most of us men think we know what gives pleasure to our partner (rightly or wrongly), and doing the same old steps over and over is definitely not up there.

My guess is that women like
    • a man who can lead confidently and comfortably the moves
    • surprises and variations to avoid repetitiveness and boredom
    • Musical interpretation, moves fit the music...

I suspect that we will get more feedback from the ladies in here and in the new thread/Poll started by DavidB.

In case my previous post was mis-understood, I totally think practising new / tricky moves is useful and can be fun, but it is best to do this off the dance floor / outside of the freestyle with a willing partner until such moves are perfected and then feel natural in freestyle.

Franck.

OK i don't know how to work the quote thingy yet.....but i agree with whatever jiveholic says
    I find it really frustrating when i've done a class with great moves , then as soon as someone mentions the word freestyle, they are gone and never to be seen again
    I've brought this up in front of men before , to be met with the reply.."well just say what moves you like doing" Does the word "DOH!" spring to mind? Could just about picture the scene,....In the middle of a dance trying to describe what moves you like..."excuse me, can you do that thingy move,..you know the one where you turn that way, and i turn that way, you offer both hands......"

Nah i don't think it'll work neither
    S'not fair...we wimmen don't get a choice

Well they do say it's a mans world......It must have been a Cerocer that came up with that line :p

I'll just go and console myself in my little Line Dancing world and dance what moves i like

filthycute x x

Little Devil?.....MOI??.....i'm sorry you must have the wrong person

The Ginger Swinger x x

Originally posted by filthycute
    ....I find it really frustrating when i've done a class with great moves , then as soon as someone mentions the word freestyle, they are gone and never to be seen again
    I've brought this up in front of men before , to be met with the reply.."well just say what moves you like doing"
    filthycute x x
    I have a t-shirt that lists all the moves I like doing. There are four sections: grope'n'grind, low-flying, leaps-of-faith and frustratingly-complicated. The whole shirt is entitled "you choose, I'll lead"!

It failed because its too dark for the lady to read my shirt whilst I am jiggling up'n'down!

I have a t-shirt that lists all the moves I like doing.........

It failed because its too dark for the lady to read my shirt whilst I am jiggling up'n'down!
    If you get it printed in braille it might be more rewarding.

Thread Information