Thread: Censorship on the Forum

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Censorship on the Forum

As far as I can tell, two threads have been removed recently in what appears to be pretty much a clear case of censorship.

The first was about recent changes to Ceroc franchise arrangements in the North-West of London. The second was a typical Forum "who's going to" thread, about the forthcoming independent London freestyle-that-dare-not-speak-its-name.

I can maybe, possibly, see a justification for deleting one of the threads - and perhaps for the other (that is, if I squint hard and imagine the mole on the back of my hand makes the shape of a rabbit.) But was it necessary? Was it wise?

Am I out of order in asking what's going on? I thought the Forum was a place we could talk about pretty much anything as long as it was legal and not libelous. Perhaps one of the Moderators, or Franck himself, would like to comment. What are the rules for who can have threads deleted on request - and for what reasons? What *is* going on?

It's late and I'm tired - but I'm also more than a little disappointed.
    Last edited by El Salsero Gringo; 4th-November-2005 at 01:37 AM.

Re: Censorship on the Forum

Threads need not only be deleted by moderators!

I have also deleted a thread that I had started very recently.

Do not cast stones unless you are alert to all possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    Threads need not only be deleted by moderators!

I have also deleted a thread that I had started very recently.

Do not cast stones unless you are alert to all possibilities.
    As far as I'm aware, you can only delete your own posts. If you can delete other people's posts and entire threads, you must be a moderator. And deleting or editing your own posts is somewhat different.

I'd posted in one of the threads that was deleted. It wasn't me that deleted it. It must therefore have been a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    As far as I'm aware, you can only delete your own posts. If you can delete other people's posts and entire threads, you must be a moderator.

I'd posted in one of the threads that was deleted. It wasn't me that deleted it. It must therefore have been a moderator.

Or the person who started the thread. but then again the moderator could have been involved.

I have recently deleted a thread I started after 5 posts had been added. Please believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    Or the person who started the thread. but then again the moderator could have been involved.

I have recently deleted a thread I started after 5 posts had been added. Please believe me.
    OK, fair enough, I didn't know that. If it wasn't a moderator, then I apologise for the unwarranted slur. But I'd like to know for sure.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As far as I can tell, two threads have been removed recently in what appears to be pretty much a clear case of censorship.
    Maybe you need to get some sleep ESG

Anyway, in the 2 threads you mentioned, there was no hint of censorship. The first one was deleted following a request from people involved who wanted to keep commercially sensitive information off the forum until such time as it could be made public properly.

In the second case, the thread was borderline advertising, but wasn't deleted at my request, as it turns out, the thread creator decided against it and asked (begged) to have it removed...

Many threads / posts will get deleted on a regular basis. Usually, they are blatant adverts / plugs. Sometimes, they are offensive or too personal and would cause un-necessary damage to people involved. In all cases, anyone can report a post and make a case for deleting a post / thread. The moderators and myself then make a decision and explain to the people involved.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    Maybe you need to get some sleep ESG

Anyway, in the 2 threads you mentioned, there was no hint of censorship. The first one was deleted following a request from people involved who wanted to keep commercially sensitive information off the forum until such time as it could be made public properly.

In the second case, the thread was borderline advertising, but wasn't deleted at my request, as it turns out, the thread creator decided against it and asked (begged) to have it removed...
    I'm sorry, but this isn't censorship *how* exactly?

What difference does it make if it's the thread creator who wants something removed, or if it's other "people involved"?

Nobody asked me about removing my post in that thread. Not that the content was significant or important in any way. But removed - censored - it certainly was.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but this isn't censorship *how* exactly?
    Well, ok, it is censorship, but not dictatorial, just the kind that listens to people and allow them to change their mind about posting a thread or reply. All of it is a judgement call, and moderators, and myself, don't always get it right. In either of the 2 cases, I'm not convinced we should have deleted them, but it was best to act first before the threads took on a life of their own and it was too late to do anything about them.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    Well, ok, it is censorship, but not dictatorial, just the kind that listens to people and allow them to change their mind about posting a thread or reply. All of it is a judgement call, and moderators, and myself, don't always get it right. In either of the 2 cases, I'm not convinced we should have deleted them, but it was best to act first before the threads took on a life of their own and it was too late to do anything about them.
    I do appreciate that you and the other moderators take the trouble to listen to requests for editing posts after the 15 minutes is up; in the past I've had to ask for a post to be edited where I'd rashly jumped to a false conclusion about someone's involvment in something. Perhaps I'm just too sensitive to the whole-thread vanishing thing. Still, I'm glad that I asked.

"Commercially sensitive" hit a nerve. I made some efforts towards finding out about various computer related topics concerning our local council, and that was the brick wall I continually ran into. Practically every post that mentions a venue or organisation icould be classed as "commercially sensitive".

Having said all that, I trust Franck's judgement.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first was about XXX
    Ah, I was wondering why that topic hadn't been discussed yet. I'm sure it will be soon - maybe you can prepare a witty post in advance for it?

On a slightly more serious note, I trust the moderators' actions, but I'm not overly-happy with the communications of those actions.

I know, time is short, and the moderators are busy people etc., but it would be nice if, for example:
    - people who'd posted on a deleted thread got a message to tell them why their posts had been deleted
    - threads which got moved (e.g. outside / upstairs) similarly had some way of indicating that they'd moved, beyond someone posting "Oh look, we're outside!" or something.

Having said that, I guess this is probably impractical, if you had to PM everyone every time you made a change (and then reply to the replies to those PMs), it'd double the moderators' workload.

Unless you want to volunteer to be a moderator, ESG?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames

Unless you want to volunteer to be a moderator, ESG?
    Ohhh no there's a poll coming
    God not ESG he'd be editing things to make it more "interesting"

Just to say
    I have asked for a posts to be moderated once because it was a nutter and it was done, another time can it was another nutter and it was done, another time cas I started a thread and deeply regreted it. It wasn't removed Leaving it there was excruiciating for weeks
    Served me right

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I trust Franck's judgement.

And the other moderators - I think they do a great job and wouldn't remove any post or thread unless they felt they had good reason and that the content was not in keeping with what this forum is about.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    I don't think I'd need to Diana, with you around.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS

Just to say
    I have asked for a posts to be moderated once because it was a nutter and it was done, another time can it was another nutter and it was done, another time cas I started a thread and deeply regreted it. It wasn't removed Leaving it there was excruiciating for weeks
    Served me right
    cas I was the nutter

Thread Information