Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recipes Thread - by popular demand!

Re: Recipes Thread - by popular demand!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    "Wanna come round for dinner tonight? My Mom's making her famous call-to-the-Chinese." - who can name that quote?
    I'll name it Bruce.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    Haven’t had this in ages, its perfect for those cold winter nights!

a tin of refried beans
    freshly chopped tomatoes
    lightly fried diced red onions
    cooked sweet potato (I usually semi boil and dice)

Mix all together, top with a little cheese (mozzarella or brie is the best but any cheese that takes your fancy) I like to melt it a little under the grill.
    A drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Serve with crunchy/crispy bread.

:

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Ingredients:

For the base:
    400g digestive biscuits
    200g unsalted butter

For the cake:
    500g cream cheese (Philadelphia works well)
    110g castor sugar
    3 eggs
    250ml sour cream
    350g white chocolate
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Crush the biscuits, dice the butter and mix until all the butter coats the biscuit crumbs (takes seconds in a liquidizer, 3-4 minutes in a mixer). Pour into a lined 9" baking tin (push up base works best) or use a baking ring on a flat baking sheet. Press biscuit down to form firm base.

Melt the chocolate gently in a double boiler or a *very* low light. (If you overheat it it instantly becomes pasty rather than liquid.)

Beat cream-cheese sugar and lemon juice. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate and mix well. Pour onto base.

Bake at 160C for about 45-50 minutes.

Optional topping: 250ml sour cream mixed with 50g sugar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    Pumpkin Soup

Fry 8 rashers of bacon in butter, add 2 leeks sliced and 2 sticks of celery.
    After 5 minutes add pumpkin flesh and top up with water/stock(not salted though).
    Simmer for 30 minutes.
    Blend.
    Eat.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Grino
    While I'm at it, have the banoffi pie recipe too.

Biscuit base: as above

Other Ingredients:
    Two tins of sweetened full-fat condensed milk (look for milk, sugar as the ingredients.)
    Two Bananas
    250ml double cream

Boil the condensed milk in unopened cans covered in a pan of water for 2 hours. (Or 45 minutes at 15psi overpressure in a pressure cooker.) Allow the tins to cool properly before opening them, otherwise you get sprayed by scalding hot sticky toffee filling.

Spread the contents evenly over the biscuit base.

Cover with sliced bananas.

Cover with whipped cream.

Er, that's it.

God, I'm hungry! I'm so glad I started this thread!

How to make the perfect breakfast ,reality check for those that live in the fast lane and dont have their mums to cook for them.

---------------------------

Take four eggs from the fridge (never know if they should be kept in the fridge or outside the fridge, im not asking mum again ??) .

The eggs ideally should have 'best before' date that has passed at least 7 days before (gives them, that certain tang)

Find a pan,any pan will do . When you cant find a clean one use the one already there with last nights oil in it (This is being environmentally friendly ?). Last nights oil usually adds to the flavour (those little bits of burnt mince from the night before yum yum).

Take 4 or 5 slices of bread from the freezer, it never keeps fresh when you 'forget you have bread in the bread basket for 3 weeks' and the blue bits are not nice and toast them 2 at a time this should ensure at least 3 are stone cold

Now go up stairs and forget that your cooking the eggs. When you hear loud spitting run downstairs and turn eggs over quickly to leave a mass of googy eggs

Take eggs and put on cold toasts (butter optional) . Take red or black source from fridge and squeeze all over said feast

Go sit down and watch Breakfast Time and make sure as you bite into said feast , that you lean forward to ensure some of the egg and source runs down the Work shirt you have just put on

Ps If you looking to watch you weight use only 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast and put on extra source

You forgot the handful of vitamin pills?

And a life in the fast lane dinner - allows time for commute, shower/bath and still being able to make at least half of the beginner's class at whichever venue is open that night:

Unhealthy option: stop at burger/chicken/pasty bar, eat purchases on train

Healthy option: stop at supermarket of choice, purchase fruit, bag of salad, rolls, something sloppy from the dips cabinet (I like taramasalata personally, but hummus or one of the ready-made sandwich fillings will do just as well). Add Magnum ice-cream. Eat ice-cream on way to train, eat rest on train.

Re: ESG's Banoffi Pie

Other Ingredients:
    Two tins of sweetened full-fat condensed milk (look for milk, sugar as the ingredients.)
    Two Bananas
    250ml double cream

Boil the condensed milk in unopened cans covered in a pan of water for 2 hours. (Or 45 minutes at 15psi overpressure in a pressure cooker.) Allow the tins to cool properly before opening them, otherwise you get sprayed by scalding hot sticky toffee filling.

Er, that's it.

Note: tins are not designed to be boiled without so there's a possibility they might burst which would have unfortunate consequences for anyone close enough. It's never happened to me though, but you have been warned.
    thanku just what I wanted...plus your white chocolate cheesecake...will be using these bigtime!!

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

ESG... what you trying to make me fat?? Banoffi is my fav at the moment must try your recipe Thanks

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    How to make the perfect breakfast ,reality check for those that live in the fast lane and dont have their mums to cook for them.

---------------------------

Take four eggs from the fridge (never know if they should be kept in the fridge or outside the fridge, im not asking mum again ??) .

The eggs ideally should have 'best before' date that has passed at least 7 days before (gives them, that certain tang)

Find a pan,any pan will do . When you cant find a clean one use the one already there with last nights oil in it (This is being environmentally friendly ?). Last nights oil usually adds to the flavour (those little bits of burnt mince from the night before yum yum).

Take 4 or 5 slices of bread from the freezer, it never keeps fresh when you 'forget you have bread in the bread basket for 3 weeks' and the blue bits are not nice and toast them 2 at a time this should ensure at least 3 are stone cold

Now go up stairs and forget that your cooking the eggs. When you hear loud spitting run downstairs and turn eggs over quickly to leave a mass of googy eggs

Take eggs and put on cold toasts (butter optional) . Take red or black source from fridge and squeeze all over said feast

Go sit down and watch Breakfast Time and make sure as you bite into said feast , that you lean forward to ensure some of the egg and source runs down the Work shirt you have just put on

Ps If you looking to watch you weight use only 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast and put on extra source

Stewart38 this post is soooo funny sounds like part of a "young ones" episode

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    This did happen to a friend of mine. She ended up with it everywhere, including the ceiling. Fortunately she wasn't in the room when it happened.
    I'm happier boiling them in a pressure-cooker. Then there's a containment jacket around the whole apparatus, as well as it being faster. (Although allow to cool slowly, since a sudden release of pressure could be catastrophic...)

Also do six tins at once, then you have four to keep for another time when you need a fast pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    Stewart38 this post is soooo funny sounds like part of a "young ones" episode

The sad thing is, its 90% true

The following has been passed round all the "local mums" recently with rave reviews... my kids make it and eat it with gusto (we now make double quantitys so at least some lasts to the second day)

Banana Bread
    2 Oz softened butter
    5 Oz caster sugar (normal stuff will do)
    2 really ripe bananas (gone black, but not dried out or mouldy)
    1 egg
    few drops of vanila essance
    - Mix into sloppy goo with wooden spoon
    5 Oz SR Flour
    Pinch of bicarb
    - Stir it all in
    Put into greased 1lb loaf tin (I put a strip of grease proof paper the width of the base down the bottom and draped over both short sides)
    Bake 40min at 160ºC
    "Leave in tin until cold. Will taste better the following day if you can wait ~ I've not managed this; just heard that it does!"

Yum Yum .... must say the boys have come up with the most yummy of recipes

My contribution to the colder evenings and soooooo easy to make..

Leek & Potato Soup
    4 medium sized potatoes + 2 leeks + one vegetable stock cube + seasoning

boil together till potatoes nice and soft .... and you have a cheap and easy soup that will last all week (and fat free)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

My favourite non-sweet cullenary delight: "Chickeny Stuff"

- Put a pot of pasta on (shells are good: they hold the sauce well)
    - Brown an onion in olive oil,
    - Add Fresh chicken breast (sliced, diced, whole, whatever... I prefer to dice)
    - Add chicken sesoning, oregano, mixed herbs, crack of peper, crushed garlic and chicken seasoning. (I know it's in twice, but if you sprinkle on one side of the chicken, it needs to be sprinkled on the other once stirred or flipped.)
    - Once chicken cooked properly, add in tub of double cream and some sliced peppers (green for taste, red for a splash of colour)
    - Heat through and check pasta (If cooked too long, and there was to much oil in the first place you may find it seperates - still tastes fine, but dosn't look as pretty)
    - Once pasta is just about ready, mix some corn flour with milk and add into chicken to thicken the sauce. (Stir lots; If added too soon, it may stick to the bottom of the pan)
    - Drain pasta, put into big bowl, pour chicken and sauce over the top and serve with fresh crusty bread and several forks.

{It's now served on plates because my friends complained I ate too much and didn't leave enough for them!}

HEY you Guys

STOP IT

I’m trying to learn Tango and also get some work done

Not to mention fitting in a bit of Gardening

This thread is just too distracting

And the Sunday breakfast favourite: Cheezy Dreams (or "Queasy dreams" as a freind of mine now refers to them - I introduced them and he over-dosed )

2 eggs, Some milk, Salt & pepper, beaten.

8 slices of bread, quartered.

4 cheese slices quarterd (or sliced cheese to roughly the same size)

Make mini-sandwiches with the bread & cheese, dunk in the egg mixture & fry on both sides.

Place made ones on a tin plate or baking sheet and put into the oven on a warming heat; this will melt the cheese further and make sure that the egg is cooked all the way into the sandwich. Also ensures that you actually get to eat some once you've cooked them all!

For desert
    Make individual Yorkshire puddings
    Serve with hot nutella

Commercial Operator

Sensible, quick, easy, tasty, filling - Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables (plus sausage!)

Courgette
    Red Onions
    Mushrooms
    Red Pepper
    Butternut squash
    Tomatoes
    Fresh Basil
    Pine Kernels
    Chorizo sausage
    Olive Oil
    Garlic (you can leave this out on dance nights)
    table spoon tomato puree
    Black pepper

put oil in roasting tin with black pepper, tomato puree & crushed garlic - stir
    chop all veg into cube like shapes add to tin with pine nuts
    for non veggies cut the sausage into little bits and add

Stir

Heat oven to max then put roasting tin in oven for about 30 mins stirring occasionally.

serve with rice or pasta or you can use it as a side dish in smaller quantities

Other Ingredients:
    Two Bananas
    250ml double cream

Er, that's it.

Note: tins are not designed to be boiled without so there's a possibility they might burst which would have unfortunate consequences for anyone close enough. It's never happened to me though, but you have been warned.

Now ya talking! Banofee pie is my favourite. I wanted to leave the Ealing halloween party early last week as i had half a banofee pie waiting for me at home

I hate to spend to much time cooking so this is a good one to try.

Onion
    Peppers
    mushroom
    Olives
    Chorizo (or not if you are veggie)
    tomatoe

infact anything that you find in the fridge that needs using up. Fry the above in olive oil add some pesto. In another pan boil up some pasta - when cooked add it to the other stuff and serve. You can add a bit of chili if you want but, its usually fine without it.

kids that are not veggie

Chicken breast
    Egg
    Packet of crisps (chicken or plain).
    Garlic
    Cheese
    Mixed herbs (optional)

Cut chicken up into large chunks. In a bowl crush the crisps. Add some garlic, grated chesse and herbs. Mix together. In another bowl beat the egg. Dip chicken chunks into egg then press it into the crisp mixture. Put on a baking try and bake. Nice chicken nuggets.

For an adult version use one 1 chicken breast each (dont cut up). Smear on mustard and onto chicken too. Put on baking tray, press on the crisps mixture and bake.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    < list of ingredients > infact anything that you find in the fridge that needs using up...

Place in large saucepan with a little olive oil, as suggested by Missy D, or water if making soup. Cook. Eat.

If you're organised enough to remember to put them to soak 24 hours beforehand, dried beans/pulses make a great soup base. They then need to be boiled for an hour, but you can make loads at a time - in fact my soup was called "5000 soup" by my ex-husband because that was a) the number of ingredients and b) the number of meals it ended up being by the time I'd chucked in everything I'd planned to and then thought "ooh, let's have some sweetcorn... oh, and those bamboo shoots that I forgot to eat with that Chinese meal... and those carrots want using up... and " - well, you get the picture.

Best of all, you can make loads in a big saucepan - I usually just boil up some chopped bacon to use as a base, freeze the plain bean soup in portions before adding anything else - and jazz up each individual portion as I eat it - by adding tomato, broccoli - whatever!

Thread Information