Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lifestyle change

TiggsTours

Re: Lifestyle change

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Surely thats a diet mentality ? Thats why so many never work

Shouldnt you aim (I havent a clue) for a life style that is so natural that you dont even think of eating a few chocolates as a treat or feel guilty about eating them ?
    Absolutely!

I used to be a real chocoholic, before I went through my healthy change, now I eat about 3 squares of galaxy maybe twice a week, and that's all I want. I don't even think about it the rest of the time, and when I have it, I really enjoy it, without any guilty feelings, of thinking that now I've got to be "good". I eat more now than I did before I made the change, I enjoy everything I eat, I've discovered a real passion for fresh fruit and vegetables, which I used to force myself to eat before, and get just as much pleasure from an apple as I do from a bar of chocolate.

Healthy food is always more flavoursome, and fills you up more, its just that all the "bad" stuff (for want of a better word) is pumped full of chemicals that make you want more, and ruin your enjoyment of fresh food. But moving on to a healthy diet doesn't mean not eating any of the "bad" stuff, its just you really do end up not wanting so much of it!

I had profiteroles the other day, they were lovely, before hand I'd have cleared my plate, there were 3 in the bowl, I ate 2, and really honestly didn't want the other one, at all, so I just didn't eat it. People on my table praised me for being so "good", I wasn't being good at all, it didn't take an ounce of self-discipline, I just really didn't want anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Absolutely!

Healthy food is always more flavoursome,

Healthy food is always more flavoursome

Not working

I can see how this can work

If i say it enought times ill believe it

TiggsTours

Not working

Its not saying it, its doing it that will make it work.

Once all the chemicals that those evil junk food people have pumped into your body have left your system, your tastebuds will be able to taste the food, and you'll know. Its a bit like giving up smoking.

Not working

it would appear that you havent actually eaten properly prepared and cooked healthy food.

I will have to post some of my really good healthy recipes on the recipe thread. There is a healthy option to pretty much most non healthy dishes. Its just a matter of adjusting certain ingredients.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    it would appear that you havent actually eaten properly prepared and cooked healthy food.

I will have to post some of my really good healthy recipes on the recipe thread. There is a healthy option to pretty much most non healthy dishes. Its just a matter of adjusting certain ingredients.
    I even have heathly recipes at home for:

Chocolate Brownies
    Chocolate Pudding
    Carrott Cake
    Penne al Gorgonzola
    Cheesecake (any flavour)
    Baked Cheesecake
    Lasange
    Curry (any number!)
    Onion bhajjis

I even make my own healthy tomato ketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by senorita
    ....but to loose weight u need to exercise(which is very important in life) & eat sensibly & healthy too.
    I managed to lose 2 stone in weight over a year by sensible eating and no extra exercise. And at that time I didn't do any real exercise to speak of... Though I did a fair amount of walking over the course of each day.

(What a dull post for my 1500th! )
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I even have heathly recipes at home for:

Chocolate Brownies
    Chocolate Pudding
    Carrott Cake
    Penne al Gorgonzola
    Cheesecake (any flavour)
    Baked Cheesecake
    Lasange
    Curry (any number!)
    Onion bhajjis

I even make my own healthy tomato ketchup!
    Last night I invented a really healthy chinese chicken and mushroom dish.. i will post it on the recipes thread... it was lovely... and healthy too!

I've read this thread with some interest especially since I went through a dramatic lifestyle change 4 years ago, 2 years ago and one year ago.

The thing about changing your life is that you have to want to. Not wearing blue and being slimmer is no good unless you have a reason to want to change and that change is not very often based on your reflection - it is based on your friends and relationships.

4 years ago I went from 20 stone in weight to 13.5 stone and had a dramatic change in lifestyle, more active, more sports, felt younger, felt healthier and found myself surrounded by new (and often prettier friends).

2 years ago, I moved to scotland on a whim and got into the dance scene in scotland. That was a great move, I put on a little weight but I loved my dancing, loved my swimming and felt really good about myself.

Last year I moved to Holland with work where I now live an equally active social life, still swim, still gym, play squash, dance, cycle everywhere. In the last few months my new 25 yr old girlfriend worked on my image and cosmetics () and two other girls I know dragged me out for a wardrobe change.

So, in short. If your friend is going to change first ask why? just to prolong his life or because there is something better he wants to do?

If it is merely to prolong his life then no change will occur. But, if he finds new people and activities that inspire him then he will change.

When I lost the weight I was asked, "Did you go to weightwatchers?"

My answer was a definitive "No. If I had gone to weightwatchers I would have been surrounded by fat people. What kind of inspiration is that. I surrounded myself by people who looked like I wanted to look and who lived the life I wanted to live. That was all the inspiration I needed."

Ironically, those people lived a healthier, more active lifestyle and also ate better.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers & Mash
    If I had gone to weightwatchers I would have been surrounded by fat people. What kind of inspiration is that.
    Obviously spoken by someone who has never been to a slimming group!

I've never been to weightwatchers, so I can't comment on that, but I do attend a Slimming World Group every week. I am less than a stone off my target weight now, I am by no means "fat", and that word is banned in slimming group classes anyway, as it does not help to inspire anything. In our class there are about 20 of us, of which 4 are target members, and look fantastic, our consultant is a target member, about 12 of us are, like me, very close to target, and the remaining 4 are what you call "fat".

The class is a huge inspiration! To all of us! We are not surrounded by people who you can easily believe are naturally slim! The type of person you see regularly digging into junk food, cakes, drinking alcohol, and still stay nice and slim, they are no inspiration to those of us who do struggle, not everyone is lucky enough to be they type who can eat whatever they want! Instead, you are surrounded by people who have struggled for years, then found the inspiration they needed to finally do it! Every week you see the progress that they, and you have made, and are reminded, even on your gains, of the progress you've made so far, every single week! They are fun nights, you make new friends, and you share ideas, and support for those times when its all getting a little difficult.

I'm glad that you managed to find the inspiration to change in your way, but please don't disrespect other people's ways of finding their inspiration, or try to put people off seeking inspiration in that way, as going to class may be just what they need.

So, in short. If your friend is going to change first ask why? just to prolong his life or because there is something better he wants to do?

If it is merely to prolong his life then no change will occur. But, if he finds new people and activities that inspire him then he will change.

When I lost the weight I was asked, "Did you go to weightwatchers?"
    If a GP tells you change or die twice it may give you an incentive .

Where the 'incentive comes from' I think doesnt matter but it has to be in the end what 'you WANT'. Not for someone else etc

I went to weight watchers yrs ago with an ex and lost 2 1/2 stone, not easy at first but as we were both doing it and we helped each other it was manageable. However it was a 'diet' and it didnt work for me long term as A its not what I wanted. I did get the impression of the happy clappy club that most were there and treated it as a social get together. Howver if it helps people all well and good, there was on 3 or 4 men out of 75

I want to stick to a life style change

telling yourself your not hungary is very interesting

After late night dancing on saturday ,I had 3 oranges and apple and a banana , maybe one day ill get to drinking just a 'cup of water' before i got to bed. However eating that was better then picking up a few pasties on the way home

Also eating pasta has given me terrible indigestion

TiggsTours

Where the 'incentive comes from' I think doesnt matter but it has to be in the end what 'you WANT'. Not for someone else etc

I went to weight watchers yrs ago with an ex and lost 2 1/2 stone, not easy at first but as we were both doing it and we helped each other it was manageable. However it was a 'diet' and it didnt work for me long term as A its not what I wanted. I did get the impression of the happy clappy club that most were there and treated it as a social get together. Howver if it helps people all well and good, there was on 3 or 4 men out of 75

I want to stick to a life style change

telling yourself your not hungary is very interesting

After late night dancing on saturday ,I had 3 oranges and apple and a banana , maybe one day ill get to drinking just a 'cup of water' before i got to bed. However eating that was better then picking up a few pasties on the way home

Also eating pasta has given me terrible indigestion
    Four members at our group in Harrow are guys, Stewart, and not everybody stays every week for the class. I do think that going to weigh in is important though, it keeps you focussed.

... by no means "fat", and that word is banned in slimming group classes anyway...
    Why ban the word. Why not call it as it is. I was fat from the age of 18 to 34, and I hated it. I was the "fat jolly" guy and my repertoire of fat jokes was great - "I was on a plane and they asked me to move to the back cos they couldn't get the nose up during take off", "me and a friend sent a picture of ourselves to P and O ferries saying if they didn't send us 1 million pounds, we would stand on the same side of the ship [and capsize it!]"

That didn't mean I liked it, it meant I dealt with it, and pussy footing around the subject and saying that the word "fat" is banned is simply denial.

Success is its own reward and I agree that knowing of other people's successes can be a great inspiration, but we are talking lifestyle here and losing weight is not just a case of counting calories, it is a whole lifestyle change.

A comedian once said that his doctor said "lose weight, it will put years on your life" to which he replied, "but added to which end? I don't want to spend more years pushing a zimmer frame around the old folks home in a body that can't do any of the things I enjoy"

I cited that excuse hundreds of times, but when I finally lost weight I found it adds years to the beginning of your life, with improved quality, feeling better about yourself, and engaging in activities that you couldn't do before losing weight.

If weightwatchers works for you, then great. It wouldn't work for me!

One last joke, I called a fat friend of mine once and said "I went to weightwatchers last night, but you weren't there so we had to watch someone else!"

George Best
    Smoking
    Drinking
    Drugs
    Aids
    Extreme Sports
    Boxing

I'm not certain I agree. I think most people have to die once and come back!

If weightwatchers works for you, then great. It wouldn't work for me!
    Didn't work for me either.
    Diets only work as long as you do a fair amount of exercise over and beyond your normal routine. But then muscle weighs more than fat! Disheartening isnt it!

But then as long as you eat better, exercise more then you will feel and see yourself toning up , looking great and feeling fitter. The only person that can do it is you. You are doing it for yourself -If you cheat the only person you are cheating is yourself no one else could give two hoots -they like u for you not because of what you look like or how much you weigh.

Its like anything if you want to achieve something you will, only you will stop you doing it, believe in yourself and you will do well. Sit back on the sofa with a pessamistic cant be a$$ed 'will do it tomorrow' attitude and you will never change or grow as a person you will remain stagnant and the only thing moving will be your mouth from complaining and whinging.

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    Diets only work as long as you do a fair amount of exercise over and beyond your normal routine.
    Not so. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. So increasing physical activity helps, but decreasing what you eat also helps just as much, if not more. Find the balance that works for you.

I lost weight simply by changing my diet. While I might have been doing a little more exercise I wouldn't ever call it "a fair amount ... over and beyond [my] normal routine."
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

TiggsTours

Didn't work for me either.
    Wouldn't work for me either, all that weighing everything, counting points in everything, restrictions in quantities, I'd be hungry all the time! Not like Slimming World, where you can eat and eat and eat, all day long! Really honestly do eat more now than I ever did before, and weigh a stone & half less than 6 months ago!
    Diets only work as long as you do a fair amount of exercise over and beyond your normal routine.
    Not so! Sure, I'm probably dancing more, and with more energy, but that's because I have less weight to shift around!
    But then muscle weighs more than fat! Disheartening isnt it!
    Only if you're going for real muscle building style excercise. The type of muscle definition you build just from being toned weighs such a fraction more that fat that it will hardly show on the scales. Besides, would you rather be a stone lighter, or a dress size smaller? I know which one counts for me! Who cares what the scales say?
    But then as long as you eat better, exercise more then you will feel and see yourself toning up , looking great and feeling fitter.
    Absolutely! Although you don't have to excercise to lose weight, it really is the only healthy way of doing it, but nothing is more important than a healthy diet.
    The only person that can do it is you. You are doing it for yourself -If you cheat the only person you are cheating is yourself no one else could give two hoots -they like u for you not because of what you look like or how much you weigh.
    The difference is that, the happier you are with yourself, the more likeable a person you become, if you learn to love yourself, you only stand to gain more, and that includes more friends!

Its like anything if you want to achieve something you will, only you will stop you doing it, believe in yourself and you will do well. Sit back on the sofa with a pessamistic cant be a$$ed 'will do it tomorrow' attitude and you will never change or grow as a person you will remain stagnant and the only thing moving will be your mouth from complaining and whinging.

George Best

I'm not certain I agree. I think most people have to die once and come back!

George Best isnt dead yet !

I took a friends dog for a 2 mile walk yesterday and the day before. I have never walked around where i live in the year and a bit ive been there

Its the new start

TiggsTours

George Best isnt dead yet !

I took a friends dog for a 2 mile walk yesterday and the day before. I have never walked around where i live in the year and a bit ive been there

Its the new start
    Yay!!!!!!!!!! Well done you!!!!!!!

It seems that if you really want to do this, then you have all the support network you need, right here! I'll happily chat to you about my lifestyle changes, and the difference its made to my life, until the cows come home!

Well done Stewart, I hope it works for you.

Yay!!!!!!!!!! Well done you!!!!!!!

It seems that if you really want to do this, then you have all the support network you need, right here! I'll happily chat to you about my lifestyle changes, and the difference its made to my life, until the cows come home!

Well done Stewart, I hope it works for you.
    If one changes food type drastically over night does one expect wind and constipation?

Eating a lot of rice and pasta now

Still can’t get this drinking water bit

Someone send put lemon honey type stuff in it ?

TiggsTours

If one changes food type drastically over night does one expect wind and constipation?

Eating a lot of rice and pasta now

Still can’t get this drinking water bit

Someone send put lemon honey type stuff in it ?
    That depends just how drastic, if it is really drastic then you can certainly expect your body to react to it, yes. Try eating some beans, sounds to me like you need a bit more fibre.

Thread Information