Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Open Jive Championships 2003 - Blackpool

The Forum Legend
    Hmmm....

Okie, I should have said that I have heard of Hayley. Just never danced with her, or even seen her dance. Hopefully at Blackpool then if she comes (whether she's competing or not).

Steve

Originally posted by Gus
    Thought she wasn't competing at Blackpool, though heard that her partner from Ceroc Champs, James, is competing with a certain very stylish member of this forum (I can say no more )
    Indeed, and whilst I don't wish to step out of line and give away said female's identity, I will confirm that whilst I was dancing with her a couple of weeks ago, I lead her into the ballroom drop, only find that when I looked down she wasn't leaning back, but doing the splits instead. Man did my eyes water!!! A dancing moment that I will always remember.

Originally posted by TheTramp
    I think Gus meant that Sophie was a correct guess - in that it could be her. Rather than correct in that is is actually her.
    Oh, right... I see what you mean now... I think!

Steve's a great dancer, but I just couldn't picture him and Sophie together - her style's sooo flamboyant, I imagine he might look rather too understated against her.

Who is Hayley?? Remember I've been out of the London scene for a while now![/B]
    I see Gus has explained who Hayley is ... I don't know her personally, but she's absolutely amazing to watch dancing - she also happens to be extremely beautiful. Steve, I'm surprised at you not having sought her out before ...!

Originally posted by Gus
    James, is competing with a certain very stylish member of this forum (I can say no more )
    Oh, but who???? Can you not at least give us any clues? Like - male/female, south/north, frequent poster? Please .....?????

Rachel

Originally posted by Will
    ...but doing the splits instead...
    Come on, doing the splits isn't much of a clue - can't you enlighten us any further?

Originally posted by Rachel
    Come on, doing the splits isn't much of a clue - can't you enlighten us any further?
    Well it rules me out. Could still be the Tramp though!

Could still be the Tramp though!
    Exactly what I thought!!
    R.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    We'll possibly be a late entry, if there's spaces left.
    Are there any spaces left for anything ?

Last thing I heard there was 1 place in Advanced, 20/30 Male DWAS and places in Lindy and Airsteps. Suggest you PM Keith ... he should be able to give you the latest position.

I notice in the Team Cabaret section the rules say Plagiarism rules apply - can someone explain to me exactly what this means in this context?

Thanks

DVx

The Forum Legend
    Are you talking about the fact that one team is allegedly doing a complete routine choreographed by someone else (Nicky Haslam from Australia) then DV??

When I heard about that last night, I was quite amazed!!

Steve

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Rachel:

but she's absolutely amazing to watch dancing - she also happens to be extremely beautiful. Steve, I'm surprised at you not having sought her out before ...!
    Well. It's difficult searching someone out if you don't know much about them. I think I've just heard the name and that she's quite a dancer.

I'll rely on you to point her out to me then Rachel.....

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Are you talking about the fact that one team is allegedly doing a complete routine choreographed by someone else (Nicky Haslam from Australia) then DV??

When I heard about that last night, I was quite amazed!!

Steve
    Actually the rumour goes that there are TWO teams allegedly doing the SAME complete routine choreographed by someone else (Nicky Haslam from Australia) .

But yes I am talking about that Steve!

DV x

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.
    Originally posted by Dancing Veela
    Actually the rumour goes that there are TWO teams allegedly doing the SAME complete routine choreographed by someone else (Nicky Haslam from Australia) .

But yes I am talking about that Steve!

DV x
    Which routine? (Nicky's choreographed a bunch of them - my favourite is Ecuador, the most recent are Hero and JetSet Armani (to "Are You In It For Love").

The Oracle

Plagiarism

Plagiarism is copying someone's words or ideas and presenting them as being your own work.

I think the plagiarism rules were introduced a few years ago after a couple did someone else's routine in the showcase without their consent. But I don't think they have ever been defined.

Plagiarism is not the same as doing someone else's choreography, as long as you credit the choreographer with their work.

Choreography is not easy. A good dancer is not necessarily a good choreographer. It is as much a part of a showcase or team routine as the music or performance itself. The routine 'belongs' to the choreographer, not the performers. I can't think of any other dance style where choreographers are not allowed.

I don't see anything wrong with doing a routine that someone else has choreographed, as long as the choreographer is credited with what he/she has done, and has been paid as agreed (if they are doing it professionally).

The entry form should require the choreographer to be named, and the performers should have to sign something saying that the choreographer has allowed the routine to be performed by them. At the prize presentation, the choreographer should accompany the couple/team when they receive their prizes.

David

Originally posted by gcapell
    Which routine? (Nicky's choreographed a bunch of them - my favourite is Ecuador, the most recent are Hero and JetSet Armani (to "Are You In It For Love").
    Well you're not going to be disapointed then
    And wait until you see the team they've got assembled for it. It's a bit of a dream team.

And whilst we are on the subject let me drop another bomb shell. Nicky Haslam is coming over to England in May for the Ceroc Champs in may and is putting together a new routine for the cabaret section. Her team will include Clayton & Janine.

Well you're not going to be disapointed then
    And wait until you see the team they've got assembled for it. It's a bit of a dream team.

Sheena - do you think we should just withdraw both our teams now??????

The Forum Legend
    I don't see anything wrong with doing a routine that someone else has choreographed, as long as the choreographer is credited with what he/she has done, and has been paid as agreed (if they are doing it professionally).
    I've sort of been struggling with this for the last hour or so, and trying to sort out in my own head what I think about it.

I'm not sure that I agree with you David, although, next time I see you, you could possibly convince me otherwise.

Modern jive is a social dance, mainly for fun, and isn't the same as ballroom competitions.

Taking this to the extreme, next competition, we could have 10 teams, all performing the same cabaret by someone 12,000 miles away, and it starts to become more like a ballroom competition, where everyone has to look the same and do the same.

I think that part of entering the competition is all about doing your own routine. I have to say that I wouldn't want someone else to choreograph a routine for me to perform, even with giving the choreographer the credit.

Like I said, I'm still not fully convinced in my own mind about my feelings on this though.

Steve

I have another question about Blackpool (or indeed the Ceroc Champs in London or in Scotland).

If 70% of dancing must be recognisable as Modern Jive - and a couple dance Blues for a whole record (say in the final when they are most likely to get a slowish song to do the Blues to) - then is this breaking the rules or not?

Thanks

DV x

Originally posted by Dancing Veela
    Sheena - do you think we should just withdraw both our teams now??????
    Absolutely NOT!!!! After your performance last year, your in with as good a chance as anyone.

Remember - the bigger they come, the harder they fall

Absolutely NOT!!!! After your performance last year, your in with as good a chance as anyone.

Remember - the bigger they come, the harder they fall
    Thanks for your confidence Will - however I think that's Sheena's team from the Scottish champs you are talking about? Or is it Scott's team from London last year?

We've never competed before and neither of the Scottish teams have had any teacher involvement in the choreography so I guess I'm getting a little nervous to be up against a 'Dream Team' we were doing it for fun - not thinking we were up against 'professional' choreographers.

DVx

Thread Information