Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we have to choose a venue now based on the DJ ?

Re: Do we have to choose a venue now based on the DJ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian (DJ)
    I know I have people who are fans of the music I play, and I have my critics. That's the way it goes, it's just a shame that the critics are normally more vocal than the fans!
    Well said, and my sentiments (as a fellow DJ) entirely.

I'm very pleased to read that there was some time given to the Dj in question, but HEY, if ANY DJ said F**k off to me, I would not give him/her a second option.

There is
    1/ no need for a foul mouth in the first place
    2/ a need to respect the fact that it's not the event organiser who pays the wages, but the punters paying the entrance
    3/ is there a need for a 3/ ?

From the numbers it seems that the organisers found out the hard way

BUT

I wonder if they KNOW it was the muiscal taste/DJ who lost them their freestyle night?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    To be frank, how could you go to a freestyle if you didnt know who the DJ is? Its the first thing I find out about before making a go/no go decision.
    That's fine for those who live in an area where there are multiple choices. When you're in an area with very few options to choose from, you don't have the luxury of picking and choosing which night to go to. Often it's a simple choice between dancing and not dancing instead.

I'm lucky because even though I live in an area without a huge choice of MJ freestyles to go to, those I can get to are usually pretty good. Especially the Jive Magic freestyles (soon to be no more ). However, if the local DJs were rubbish, then I'd just have to dance to rubbish, unless I had lots of money to drive all over the country regularly.

It is a recurring theme of mine that I believe that MJ could be expanding faster. When there is only one venue in an area I believe that the "sorta" standard Ceroc mix is right. Once it gets to two Ceroc nights then there should be regular DJ at each, and they should have a distinctive playlist, probably 60% standard, and 40% slanted to the DJ's taste. I believe that the crowd will evolve to match the DJ. When it gets to three venues then about 40% standard, 60% slanted. The fourth night in the area should revert to 100% standard. It is only by having a distinctive quality to each venue that it will be possible to saturate an area. People do not have the same tastes in music.
    I believe that changing DJ's, or styles, unannounced, from week to week is a recipe for comparative failure. The venue may still be viable, but it is probably the reality that there is one viable venue where there should be two, or more.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I believe that changing DJ's, or styles, unannounced, from week to week is a recipe for comparative failure. The venue may still be viable, but it is probably the reality that there is one viable venue where there should be two, or more.

Trouble is, the benefit from a regular DJ (playing music that the more experienced dancers like) is not always immediately obvious from a financia;l point of view.

The experienced punters pay the same as the beginner punters, and indeed most of Ceroc marketing and teaching resources clearly goes to the beginner / early-intermediate market.

However, I think that a reasonable number of happy experienced dancers as a venue improves the atmosphere, and gives the beginners and early-intermediates something to aim for (or possibly, in my case, something to avoid). So there's a more subtle long-term benefit in keeping these people happy.

The trouble is, most venue managers don't think subtle, and may simply tend to go for the cheapest or most convenient DJ, because "they only play records, right?"

I must confess that I deliberately don't dance every week at my local venue as I'm trying to avoid various DJs and teachers. I stalk the better DJ and try to avoid the teacher whose lessons don't usually appeal.

You wouldn't believe how cheated I feel on nights when they change the rota...

If it was the same DJ and same teacher nearly every week, the company would make more money out of me!
    Daisy

(A Fussy Little Flower)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    ...The trouble is, most venue managers don't think subtle, and may simply tend to go for the cheapest or most convenient DJ, because "they only play records, right?"
    In Ceroc Central it is Phil Roberts, the franchisee that picks the DJ's. Dave Archer was DJ'ing at the London Astoria in his teens, introducing the likes of Cliff Richards. He passes on his experience to any other Ceroc Central DJ's that need it. The results are audible. We had a superb set from Peter Krull the other week at Letchworth. I remember sometimes cringing at some of his early efforts. DJ'ing is an art and a science. The science can be taught and learned.

Dave Archer was DJ'ing at the London Astoria in his teens, introducing the likes of Cliff Richards.
    Hold on .... thats a good thing ????

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Hold on .... thats a good thing ????
    And is he any relation to Cliff Richard?

(I can't really comment though, I have been along to one of his concerts, many years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    And is he any relation to Cliff Richard? ....
    T believe that there was a strong resemblance. Sorry, Cliff. (You never know who is reading.)

Thread Information