Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dance shoes need help

My dance shoes need help

The suede soles of my rather expensive dance shoes have become compacted so that even when I brush them with a shoe brush the suede doesn't "rough" up very much.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can sort this out? It's murder on a fast dancefloor!

Thanks

Re: My dance shoes need help

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    The suede soles of my rather expensive dance shoes have become compacted so that even when I brush them with a shoe brush the suede doesn't "rough" up very much.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can sort this out? It's murder on a fast dancefloor!

Thanks
    SOmetimes its the polish on the floor that compacts the suede so uits like a second ice rink. I clean off the polish by steaming the suade over a boiling kettle. WHen the poish melts I scrape it off with a sharp knife and give it a good scrub.
    If you've stuck the suade on you may find the glue melts as well but you can always have it stuck back on
    Good luck
    D

Hmm, my suede brush is essentially a series of sharp stiff pins: I can't imagine it not being able to ruff the suede up. But then, I do use it with an element of manic serial killed.
    If you're desperate, you could try very course sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    SOmetimes its the polish on the floor that compacts the suede so uits like a second ice rink. I clean off the polish by steaming the suade over a boiling kettle. WHen the poish melts I scrape it off with a sharp knife and give it a good scrub.
    If you've stuck the suade on you may find the glue melts as well but you can always have it stuck back on
    Good luck
    D
    What an excellent tip D! Thanks!

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    If you're desperate, you could try very coarse sandpaper.
    Some very specific sandpaper-related discussion here..
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    Some very specific sandpaper-related discussion here..
    What's this? Someone HarperLinking for Martin Harper???
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thanks
    I have that same problem but have learned double spins instead! LOL

My sister says if a floors very slippy with suede then you just have to dampen your soles with a little water, though I really couldn't tell you if that would work with compacted suede?!

If you find a good solution let us know!!!

Thanks

Years ago when I did ballroom first time round every so often I would make the suede soles slightly damp and then use the suede brush hard. Then allow them to dry, and brush again.
    Important to try not to get suede soles wet when out as it tends to be sticky beer, lemonade, mud etc, but the above seemed to help. try not to do it too often though. I think the secret is to brush the soles frequently before they get that smooth....

Thanks
    I have that same problem but have learned double spins instead! LOL

My sister says if a floors very slippy with suede then you just have to dampen your soles with a little water, though I really couldn't tell you if that would work with compacted suede?!

If you find a good solution let us know!!!

I thought fast was good?

Originally Posted by Icey

Thanks
    For goodness sake don't get them wet - when I go to the clubs on the weekend I always bring my shoebag .. I don't care if it looks dancegeeky, wet shoes mean a night of disappointing dancing.

But I thought fast was good? When I bought my latin shoes (suede soled) I purposely got them wet and dirty a few times to sufficiently compact and ruin the suede into a leather like substance .. do people really use suede soled shoes for ceroc out of preference?

Bristol and sometimes on another planet entirely

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    I thought fast was good?

But I thought fast was good? When I bought my latin shoes (suede soled) I purposely got them wet and dirty a few times to sufficiently compact and ruin the suede into a leather like substance .. do people really use suede soled shoes for ceroc out of preference?

Much prefer suede - gives you speed, but with more control somehow. I recently saw someone damping their soles with coke to make them less slippy / fast at Britrock - not sure what this effect had on other dancers using the floor though, might cause intermittent stick / fast areas on the floor and could ruin suede soles.

The uppers are beginning to peel away from the soles on a couple of pairs of my shoes. Can anyone recommend the right kind of glue to stick them back down? I'm not that keen on taking them to "Mr Minute" and the only old-fashioned cobbler in Exeter seems to have vanished!

But I thought fast was good?
    Ultra-fast shoes can make it harder to be a light, responsive follower.

My shoes were getting very fast this weekend and the floors were fast too. So to Icey for lending me her shoe brush - much more effective than mine - and to Lory for brushing them. It helped.

When I bought my latin shoes (suede soled) I purposely got them wet and dirty a few times to sufficiently compact and ruin the suede into a leather like substance
    It was somewhat perplexing for the staff at the uni on Sat night as those who had managed to grab their street shoes when the fire alarm went off were quickly changing them before walking onto the wet road. For those who didn't hope your shoes recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by JonD
    The uppers are beginning to peel away from the soles on a couple of pairs of my shoes. Can anyone recommend the right kind of glue to stick them back down? I'm not that keen on taking them to "Mr Minute" and the only old-fashioned cobbler in Exeter seems to have vanished!
    I think this stuff is pretty strong, i've used it to stick on replacement soles for brogues when i worked in a kilt shop.

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/BST80211.html

Bostik also do a leather adhesive.

hth

Melanie

I have a question about shoe brushes (for suade soles).

I went to the local dancewear shop to ask if they had any (I have one that someone kindly gave me but it wasn't being effective enough). I was told they didn't sell them but a regular shoe shop nearby did ones with a 'rubber brush'.

Thinking that perhaps she misunderstood (I was thinking why would a regular shoe shop that doesn't sell dance shoes stock suitable brushes? ) I again said it was for the soles of dance shoes and I wanted a wire one. She looked at me as if I was an idiot and said that was too strong on dance shoes and everyone now used the rubber 'brush'. I was made to feel rather stupid even for asking for a wire brush for suade soled dance shoes.

What do other people use? Anyone have the 'rubber brush' she was referring to and it is adequate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn

What do other people use? Anyone have the 'rubber brush' she was referring to and it is adequate?
    I think you'll find that that is 'rubbish'. I have a pair of daps/pumps/trainers/tennis/deck/gym shoes bought from M&S. They're rather nice and the body is nubuck leather rather than the usual fabric. But they're a very light colour and are going to look dirty and shabby in no time at all. (Steer well clear of freshly cut lawns or they'll go very green.) From the local supermarket I bought a double sided brush and the rubber side was for nubuch leather. Pretty ineffective, even for this, I would say.

My suede brush also has a rubber brush on the other side. It's meant to be good for cleaning dirt off uppers made of suede/nubuck (not stains though.) I wouldn't even think about using it on the soles of my shoes.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi

My suede brush also has a rubber brush on the other side. It's meant to be good for cleaning dirt off uppers made of suede/nubuck (not stains though.)
    I wouldn't even think about using it on the soles of my shoes.
    Well that would make sense given that she was recommending I purchase this from a shop that doesn't sell suede soled shoes but does sell shoes with suede and nubuck uppers. If she had misunderstood what I wanted it for (which was my initial thought) and then just said, 'Sorry we don't sell the other sort either' then fair enough.

But I did keep saying to the person in the dance wear shop that it was for the suede soles of dance shoes and she insisted that the rubber brush is what dancers use. They sell dance shoes so I was made to feel like the stupid one for even suggesting using anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Well that would make sense given that she was recommending I purchase this from a shop that doesn't sell suede soled shoes but does sell shoes with suede and nubuck uppers. If she had misunderstood what I wanted it for (which was my initial thought) and then just said, 'Sorry we don't sell the other sort either' then fair enough.

But I did keep saying to the person in the dance wear shop that it was for the suede soles of dance shoes and she insisted that the rubber brush is what dancers use. They sell dance shoes so I was made to feel like the stupid one for even suggesting using anything else.
    IMO A rubber brush isn't going to help with what you want it to do - but I guess someone who has never danced will have no idea what you're talking about. You're better off going to a DIY shop and buying a wire brush (they sell them for getting rust off cars or whatever). They are bigger than the old fashioned wire suede brushes but essentially do the same job - in fact they're probably better in some ways as the wires aren't as flexbile - although you wouldn't want to rub too hard with them - you might rub the soles off altogether I guess! I know several dancers who use these. Otherwise use sandpaper/glasspaper.

Personally I'm with Anna on this, and like my suede dance shoes like glass on the bottom! If the floor is too fast I will dampen the soles slightly with water which I find works for me (doesn't happen very often).

Thread Information