Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser treatment to replace wearing glasses or contact lenses

Re: Laser treatment to replace wearing glasses or contact lenses

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Thank you Martin, for that fascinating and thorough story of your laser surgery.

I am booked in for laser surgery myself on 19th November (although, I've been told no lenses for a week, not a month!) and I've heard so many similar encouraging stories, but none in quite so much detail!

I have to admit that I am terrified, I know it won't hurt much, just a little discomfort, I've been told that, and I accept its true, but they will still be slicing my eyes open! That's scary!

Can I just ask, how was the recovery period? How long was it till your eyes felt completely normal? Does it feel normal yet?

Oh and of course, how are you Martin? Its lovely to hear from you!

Tigg (Amanda, Michala's friend, from Brighton, you know the one!) x

Hi there Amanda, great to hear from you.

I started off by thinking I should capture the process to get it correct, which I believe
    I have. Ended up recounting thoughts and feeling as well, as I do see humour in situation comedy, which is what real life is after all…

Often as time passes people forget the detail – so the prose above includes detail… I am glad it has been helpful, I hesitated to post it all as it was so long, but I thought if it helped just one person, it was justified, it looks like it has been helpful to a few, so I am happy I posted.

Good luck on the surgery for the 19th Nov, please PM me, post a reply, or both to let me know how it went.

There is nothing wrong in being terrified, I was not exactly feeling a big brave man about it myself . So I made sure I knew as much as possible about it and picked the best person I could find to do it.

My eyes felt completely normal by the evening of the surgery, which was all over at 11:40 am.
    The only non-normal thing being those plastic guards, once I took them off in the evening, I felt 100% normal.

The only thing that reminds me of it is putting the drops in 4 times a day and not dancing or rubbing my eyes just to be careful.

I have no problem with tear production, no dryness or anything.

I did forget this morning (4 days after surgery) and I rubbed my left eye, soon after I woke up, no ill effects, all was OK and no pain.

I am not saying it is not scary – my emotions did flip a bit.

For advice, as you are having the flap thing done – key points.

Take the Valium
    When having the flap things cut stare straight ahead, that is all you need to do.
    When having the laser correction bit done, pick the small red dot in the middle and focus all your attention on that – switch off, think dot…
    Afterwards it is more comfortable to keep you eyes closed for a few hours.
    Take a friend along, and get them to stay with you all the time.
    Practice being led with your eyes closed by your friend beforehand so you feel confident.
    Keep your house clear of clutter, so you can wander around without looking much.

All the best I am sure it will go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Peaches
    Thanks for the fascinating read . My husband has been on at me to have this done for years but I have always been reluctant to do it because of the "what if it goes wrong" factor and also because someone else I know had a lot of discomfort afterwards . However, after reading these posts I think I might at least look into it now.

Cheers.

Shaz.
    The good news is that they do screen who they do, they will tell you if you meet the criteria for sucess at the first apointment, so maybe go and get it checked out if it can be done. After that you can decide.

From reading these posts I would always go for the latest "cut a flap" method.

My experience was very little discomfort.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    Hi there Amanda, great to hear from you.

I started off by thinking I should capture the process to get it correct, which I believe
    I have. Ended up recounting thoughts and feeling as well, as I do see humour in situation comedy, which is what real life is after all…

Often as time passes people forget the detail – so the prose above includes detail… I am glad it has been helpful, I hesitated to post it all as it was so long, but I thought if it helped just one person, it was justified, it looks like it has been helpful to a few, so I am happy I posted.

Good luck on the surgery for the 19th Nov, please PM me, post a reply, or both to let me know how it went.

There is nothing wrong in being terrified, I was not exactly feeling a big brave man about it myself . So I made sure I knew as much as possible about it and picked the best person I could find to do it.

My eyes felt completely normal by the evening of the surgery, which was all over at 11:40 am.
    The only non-normal thing being those plastic guards, once I took them off in the evening, I felt 100% normal.

The only thing that reminds me of it is putting the drops in 4 times a day and not dancing or rubbing my eyes just to be careful.

I have no problem with tear production, no dryness or anything.

I did forget this morning (4 days after surgery) and I rubbed my left eye, soon after I woke up, no ill effects, all was OK and no pain.

I am not saying it is not scary – my emotions did flip a bit.

For advice, as you are having the flap thing done – key points.

Take the Valium
    When having the flap things cut stare straight ahead, that is all you need to do.
    When having the laser correction bit done, pick the small red dot in the middle and focus all your attention on that – switch off, think dot…
    Afterwards it is more comfortable to keep you eyes closed for a few hours.
    Take a friend along, and get them to stay with you all the time.
    Practice being led with your eyes closed by your friend beforehand so you feel confident.
    Keep your house clear of clutter, so you can wander around without looking much.

All the best I am sure it will go well.
    Thanks for the tips Martin,

As for having someone with me throughout, Asif is coming along to take me home again afterwards, and has offered to spend the day pampering me afterwards, but as for having him in the room? I had a minor procedure on my stomach a couple of years ago, and needed the dressing changed regularly for a few weeks after, when he came with me that time, he took one look at the tiny wound and nearly passed out! The nurse & I both ended up more concerned with him than with me! I think I'd be better off if he just sat outside!
    Last edited by TiggsTours; 17th-October-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Thanks for the tips Martin,

As for having someone with me throughout, Asif is coming along to take me home again afterwards, and has offered to spend the day pampering me afterwards, but as for having him in the room? I had a minor procedure on my stomach a couple of years ago, and needed the dressing changed regularly for a few weeks after, when he came with me that time, he took one look at the tiny wound and nearly passed out! The nurse & I both ended up more concerned with him than with me! I think I'd be better off if he just sat outside!
    That's kind of Asif to come with you, but i wonder what he'll get up to knowing you can't see him cos you've got to keep your eyes shut!

I started reading this thread as I was genuinely interested in finding out about what people go through in their quest for optical correction. While I found it interesting I had to give up by post #5 because I really couldn’t read any more.

There was way too much detail for me, with the strapping and the taping and the flap cutting and the swabbing and the eye propping and the burning, and more info and more info…

I can hold my own with most medical matters but when it comes to ophthalmology I’m pretty squeamish. My limit is eye drops. You all have my complete admiration for seriously contemplating and going through with these procedures.

Unfortunately, I have no power but if I did I’d be handing out awards to each and every one of you brave people.

CC x

Well done all you brave people! I reckon anyone who willingly sits down and has their eyes 'zapped' to rectify their eyesight deserves a pat on the back. I wear glasses and frankly would love to ditch them. I used to wear contacts, but the optician took them off me as I was wearing them ALL the time and was in danger of damaging the old peepers (only got one pair and all that). A few years later I decided I would go back to contacts, but found I had lost the cavalier attitude to sticking things in my eyes. So, stuck with gregories because Im too chicken to do anything else has me raising my hat to those brave enough to get the laser treatment done.

beebs

Quote Originally Posted by doc martin
    Another Martin replying

If you are -8 you would probably still need to wear lenses/glasses after the operation AFAIK. I seem to remember that down to -6 had a 95% chance of complete correction, but they were vague about anything below that.
    This is a really interesting thread . I don't mind wearing my lenses and I even like to wear my glasses every now and then for a change of look, so I haven't really had the need for surgery. But my right eye is, for some reason, getting more and more sensitive to my lenses and it sometimes really hurts by the end of the day. Perhaps I should start to consider surgery...

TiggsTours

Got my op at 11:30am on Saturday, starting to feel quite nervous now! I've had so much reassurance from so many people I've spoken to who've had it done themselves, or know someone who has, but, at the end of the day, they are still going to slice my eyes open and burn them with a laser!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Got my op at 11:30am on Saturday, starting to feel quite nervous now! I've had so much reassurance from so many people I've spoken to who've had it done themselves, or know someone who has, but, at the end of the day, they are still going to slice my eyes open and burn them with a laser!
    I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes, since I've been thinking about having it done too

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good for you. And it'll be fine - they've been doing these ops for 12 years now, more than enough time to get the technique right. I felt nervous too, but it was the best money I ever spent.

Just make sure you take the drops, wear the eye shades etc. afterwards - the main "risk" is of catching infection, I was told. But it was so low (1 in 10,000), it was acceptable odds for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    *snip* it was the best money I ever spent.*snip*
    I have never regretted it. It seems strange, but I felt immediately that it gave me more freedom.

I think with lenses I was always conscious that I had to be careful what I did (I was into windsurfing at the time), always worried about losing them, always worried about causing infections.

As soon as I had the operation, I felt a burden had been lifted. You will be so pleased that you will wonder why you never did this before. I won't say good luck because it is safer than going to the dentist (and probably safer than sitting in your GPs waiting room ).

Yes they are going to slice your eyes open and burn them with a laser.

Good luck on Sat - I will be thinking of you.

You know, there is not much you need to do... You just turn up and be brave, the staff do the rest

For myself, I have now done a 10 day trip to Thailand, Air con in plane, hot weather there and air con in hotels, all OK. Vision in one eye 20 20 , in other eye even better than 20 20 !!!!!

You will be fine

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    Yes they are going to slice your eyes open and burn them with a laser.

Good luck on Sat - I will be thinking of you.

You know, there is not much you need to do... You just turn up and be brave, the staff do the rest

For myself, I have now done a 10 day trip to Thailand, Air con in plane, hot weather there and air con in hotels, all OK. Vision in one eye 20 20 , in other eye even better than 20 20 !!!!!

You will be fine
    Thanks Martin, your original email, and the ones you sent me privately, have been a great inspiration to me. I am nervous, but if I hadn't had your support over the past few weeks, I know I'd be terrified!

I've chickened out of doing anything so far - although "knowledge is power" and this thread has encouraged me to check it out properly next year. So Good luck TT - I think you're very brave! - let us know how it goes

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    I've chickened out of doing anything so far - although "knowledge is power" and this thread has encouraged me to check it out properly next year. So Good luck TT - I think you're very brave! - let us know how it goes
    Will do. I will do a similar thing to Martin, and put all my thoughts on the day into this thread, so those of you who are interested, keep an eye out for it next week!

Thanks Martin, your original email, and the ones you sent me privately, have been a great inspiration to me. I am nervous, but if I hadn't had your support over the past few weeks, I know I'd be terrified!
    I am sure we are all looking forward to you contributing to this thread once you have done the deed.

Go girl

keep an eye out for it next week!
    Noooooooooooo.... Keep both eyes in

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes, since I've been thinking about having it done too

Im been thinking about it for a few years too

I cant see distance

Perhaps another xmas going around a inside shopping centre seeing all those blurred signs /decorations may get me to do something about it

Thanks to everyone for sharing all their stories with us about this and big pats on the back for going through what you all have.
    ,ve read this with great interest as I too am desperate to get my eyes done.
    Am quite short-sighted and have worn contact lenses for thousands of years now, so much so, that it has actually damaged them!
    Like somebody else on here, I too had my lenses taken off of me and became a "guines pig" for my optician to trial the new Johnson and Johnson lenses but had strict restrictions put in place...e.g only allowed to wear them for up to 4 hours a day 3 times a week.
    Had dry eyes,short sight and astigmatism and she was hopeful would be able to wear this particular brand AND allow my eyes to heal also. Fortunately this has worked..thank god but I cannot get my eyes done as my prescription keeps changing. The criteria is that it has to be stable for 2 years prior to surgery and my short-sightedness keeps improving, but am still as blind as a bat I feel!
    So who knows, one day I may be elegible for it OR my vision may correct itself to perfection.....NOT! My fingers are crossed

TiggsTours

I said I'd let you all know how it went, so, here goes! Its been just under 48 hours since surgery.

I woke up Saturday morning feeling really nervous. Asif was going with me, and I met him at Hammersmith Station, and we made our way up into town. I really wanted to find the bus stop that we needed before I went in, so that I could put my mind at rest, you're not allowed onto the tube for 24 hours, as its too dusty, however, standing in the middle of Tottenham Court Road, with all the dust flying around, and the exaughst fumes being pumped out by all the buses is fine!

We went and looked round a few shops, then made our way round to the surgery. I ahd my initial check-up, just to make sure that all was OK to operate, and to measure the thickness of my corneas, then I signed my life away with all the hundreds of disclaimers, then sat and waited, and waited, and waited! They were running nearly 2 hours late, so I drank lots of water to stop me feeling nervous, and tried to help Asif to fill in his Sudoku (why?).

At 13:00, they called me in. Asif wanted to come and watch, I'm glad to say that he wasn't allowed (seeing he nearly passed out when he came to see me having a dressing changed on my tummy a couple of years ago, and again when a friend of ours had her stiches out). I lay down, and the nice nurse said "would you like me to take your glasses case?", after prising it out of my vice-like grip, she gave me Wendy, the stress pig, to hold instead. They lay me down flat, and covered my left eye, then , after putting some anaesthetic into my right eye, they it open and clamped it in place (sounds worse than it is, you just feel some pressure), and moved me under the machine. Everything from this point seemed to happen so fast, and yet in slow-motion, all at the same time! "Concentrate on the red dot" they said, while I tried really hard not to picture myself in some science fiction horror film, then they started.

Its really hard to concentrate on a red dot, when at one point your vision goes completely, you have one eye shut, no vision in the other, and no feeling either, and yet you have to keep your eye fixed in one position, how do you know? After what felt like the worst 30 seconds of my life, everything came back, and yet, what's this, it was in focus! I could see! Half my brain shouting out "stop now, I don't want the other one done, I've changed my mind" and the other half shouting "wow, I can see, already!" so they pulled me out and 30 seconds later I'm back under the machine having the other one done, 30 more seconds, all done! Completely!

After that, they take you through to the recovery room, to join the others who've just had it done, it was a bit like sitting in a tanning salon, with the low lighting, and everyone in shades. There were 4 of us in there, all at different stages, me at the initial, no pain, amazed, yet still a bit cloudy stage, the guy next to me, who'd just got to the "what have I done" as the anaesthetic started to wear off stage, the next one at the eyes streaming stage, and the last at the, nearly able to open my eyes and go home stage.

The nice nurse came in and explained my drops to me, and then the surgeon came to give me an eye-test! Just 15 mins after the procedure they tell me I have the required sight for driving, if only I could open my eyes for longer than 20 seconds! Then back through to recovery. The anaesthetic is wearing off at this point, and it feels like someone's poured a bottle of shampoo into my eyes (and not the no-tears, baby shampoo either), the tears are streaming down my face, and I'm not allowed to touch them. I'm told this could last an hour, so no point sitting around! Half an hour after the procedure, and Asif & I are at the bus-stop, I can't quite believe it!

When we get back to Asif's, after a running commentary all the way from Asif on where we are (can't open my eyes for longer than a second) I decide to go to sleep, so I put on the swimming goggles I've been given, and lie down. I wake up and hour later, and the pain is gone! My eyes feel no worse than if I'd left my contact lenses in for too long, and I can see! Its a miracle! I'm not allowed to watch telly for 24 hours, so Asif takes me home, and I cook him dinner to say thanks, then we sit down in front of Strictly Come Dancing, I watch the dancing itself and close my eyes in between. Asif goes home at about 9 o'clock, and I take myself off to bed. The oddest feeling was, firstly having to convince my brain that I don't have to take my lenses out, and having to put my glasses on (the goggles) when I go to bed, rather than taking them off, for the first time since I was 8 years old!

Next morning, and I'm back to the optician, I have 20-20 vision in the right eye (slight inflamation, so this will improve, have to take my drops every hour, and see them again tomorrow morning), and far better than 20-20 vision in my left eye, bringing my overall vision up above 20-20! My eyes feel really dry, which keeps me convinced I've still got my lenses in, but I can put drops in as often as I like, and its getting easier all the time (can now go an hour and a half, rather than the 20 mins I was doing yesterday).

I can't quite believe I've done it, I'm so glad I did!

Thread Information