Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: New Forum Software!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Seeing rep you have given to others

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    Why's that?

Why can't say blue style users use it too?
    As Ducasi mentioned, each style needs to be edited manually to add the new feature which is very time consuming. I might add it at a later time, in fact, I might look at some new styles / colours to fit the new software, but just now, back from holiday and the BFG just a few days ahead, I'm a bit snowed under! It should be easy enough to switch briefly to check what rep you've given.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Still no read receipts for PMs? Or have I just not switched something on that I should have?
    Sadly, this is not an easy fix at the moment. I'll keep looking into it after the BFG though. In the meantime, as a Silver member you can get PM receipts provided you remember to tick the box before sending the PM!

I have also fixed the moving avatar option, so it should all be back to normal!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Re: New Forum Software!

Why are is the 'pm' messages not available from profiles but you can still send by the 'drop-down' options on the name from a post

I have had REP from a new forumite, and can't reply as he hasn't made a post yet

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    Why are is the 'pm' messages not available from profiles but you can still send by the 'drop-down' options on the name from a post

I have had REP from a new forumite, and can't reply as he hasn't made a post yet
    You can always type in his name by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Sorry didn't make myself very clear :-

How do you send a PM to a forumite when they do not have the option on their profile ? other than .... via their name on a post

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Via your User CP, on the left you have a list of options, one of these is Send New Message, you just need to type their name in the Recipient field.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Or you can click 'Send PM' from the Members List.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    Or you can click 'Send PM' from the Members List.
    Just worked that one out - thanks

The person is Frenchie - if you look at his profile, you will notice he doesn't have the option to send a PM - but as SF has said above, have sent one now via the Members List

there are a few forumites who have lost this option on their profile although you can still send a PM through other options

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by azande
    Via your User CP, on the left you have a list of options, one of these is Send New Message, you just need to type their name in the Recipient field.
    did that and got:-
    Sorry. The email function has been disabled by the administrator.

--ooOoo--

Re: Seeing rep you have given to others

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    I have also fixed the moving avatar option, so it should all be back to normal!
    Still doesn't work for me...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    The person is Frenchie - if you look at his profile, you will notice he doesn't have the option to send a PM
    Could be that he has chosen not to receive pms Minnie, some members don't want to receive them (or e-mails) - it's their choice.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    Could be that he has chosen not to receive pms Minnie, some members don't want to receive them (or e-mails) - it's their choice.
    I have sent him an email now, via the members list. Does this mean even if you wish not to have emails, they can still be sent via this method

Hope he joins in with posting, nice to have another Frenchman on the forum, this one has a french accent

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    Any idea why I'm not invited to send myself an email on my profile?

(Or anyone else for that matter...)

I've got the option turned on to allow it...

Still getting intermittently .....

When Create new thread or reply

Looks like I AM signed on See top RH corner of home page

Click SUBMIT thread / post button

"Please log on dialog" appears

Lose (or should that be loose, SF? ) text typed in (unless tab back and copy contents of beautifully crafted post)

I'm sure I'm accessing via "www.cerocscot...." not "cerocscot..." following Ducasi's tip.

CRL - confuzzed

Um... are you logged in with the "remember me" option? If not, and you take over 15 minutes to compose your message you could have been logged out in the meantime...

You could also try opening a buddy list window which I think will keep you logged in while it is open.

so does the "Who's Online" page (I think ... it used to in the old version of the software anyway)

Yep, it does...

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Um... are you logged in with the "remember me" option? If not, and you take over 15 minutes to compose your message you could have been logged out in the meantime...

You could also try opening a buddy list window which I think will keep you logged in while it is open.
    Interesting

I thought that meant "when you come back to the Home Page, the user name field will be auto-filled."

This auto-fill did used to happen with the old software and does(?) happen when I use URL "ceroocscot ...." - but I need to do systematic checks to test that.

I'm sure I have "checked" the "Remember me" button with the new software and URL "www.cerocscot..." but when I clcose and re-open the Home Page the "remember ME" button is unchecked and the field does not contain my userid.

However, there seems to be a cookie(?) that remembers my user name but only when I start typing C-L-I-...

The weird thing from my perspective is the top RH corner of every page shows I am signed on because of the line "Welcome, Clive Long" - but when I try to submit a new thread I'm not signed on - that's the issue for me - and has only started with the new version of bulleting board software.

CRL

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    I thought that meant "when you come back to the Home Page, the user name field will be auto-filled."
    Nope, not in this case (though other web sites do mean that.) I'm fairly sure it means "log me in automatically when I return to this web site." I never explicitly log out of the forum (by hitting the "Log Out" button) and when I come back 60 hours later I am welcomed back without having to type my username and password.
    This auto-fill did used to happen with the old software and does(?) happen when I use URL "ceroocscot ...." - but I need to do systematic checks to test that.
    I think this might be your browser auto-filling the field, rather than the web site.
    I'm sure I have "checked" the "Remember me" button with the new software and URL "www.cerocscot..." but when I clcose and re-open the Home Page the "remember ME" button is unchecked and the field does not contain my userid.
    This is probably the web site not ticking and filling these fields.
    However, there seems to be a cookie(?) that remembers my user name but only when I start typing C-L-I-...
    When you manually log out all cookies are cleared, so the web site doesn't know who you are when you come back. The auto-completion when you are typing your name is probably your browser, but it might just be the web site as it now has a similar auto-completion feature when typing user names in the search and send PM pages... Though it doesn't seem to do immediate auto-completion, but just offer a menu of possibilities that you then have to click on...
    The weird thing from my perspective is the top RH corner of every page shows I am signed on because of the line "Welcome, Clive Long" - but when I try to submit a new thread I'm not signed on - that's the issue for me - and has only started with the new version of bulleting board software.
    When I've seen this before I think it was because I had a cookie problem... Did you try logging out and then verifying that all related cookies had been erased?

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Interesting

This is a browser feature not a forum one.
    This would indicate that you actually haven't checked the box. If you did it would log you in automatically via a cookie.
    Nope, this is still a browser related feature.

CRL
    Strange. The only thing I can suggest is to actively LOG Out of the forum and log in again making sure you check the box for remembering you. Obsviously if you use two different computers you need to do the same on both, the cookie is stored locally.

Also, as was suggested before, empty cache and delete all cookies before doing any of this.

Edit: damn, beaten to it!

What's happened to the BLUE version

--ooOoo--

Thread Information