Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Club nights

Donna

Re: Feedback on Club nights

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Ah! We may have met. How would I recognise you?
    He wears the loudest trousers on the planet!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    He wears the loudest trousers on the planet!
    Trust me. I always make a point of asking the man with the most interesting trousers in the room for a dance. I definitely did at Chester! Cheers Donna! I think I know who you are, Trousers! And we did dance....

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Trust me. I always make a point of asking the man with the most interesting trousers in the room for a dance. I definitely did at Chester! Cheers Donna! I think I know who you are, Trousers! And we did dance....

don't worry... i didn't know who he was until he mentioned his trousers either!

I went to Chiswick tonight.............

Had a truely appauling evening. Felt like I couldn't dance.

Then I spoke to others who said the same..

Left with Taz and DJ and also while we were leaving the lovely Tessalicious and ESG left saying the same thing. Shame really...........

Crap night at Chiswick

Ta- ta ta ta - ta - ta -ta -taaaaaa

Its review time!!!!!

Tonights review is brought to you by the letter M

Just got back from Ceroc London's first freestyle at Chiswick town hall.

Bottom Line (for those who dont want to read my drivel):
    Very poor night.

I wanted so much for this freestyle night to work as its a reasonably easy drive for me being right on the A4 and all.
    I have tried hard to balance out the pro's and con's below but, ultimately, failed.

Pro's

- 80p for cans of coke/7up etc. Not a bad price at all.

- Music. I found Eric's music in the blues room to be excellent. Some really nice tracks. Such ashame I couldnt dance to them (see below)

- As I have commented on how difficult it is, for me, to get to other venues I will add as a positive how nice and easy this one is for me. Down the A4 a little way then turn left. Easy!!

Im afraid thats it for the positives.

Con's

- Heat. It was quite a chilly night outside tonight yet inside Chiswick Town Hall it was absolutely boiling. It has been quite a while since I have danced in a venue and found it stupidly hot. Alas, this is how I found it tonight.

- Packed. Far too many people in the blues room to enjoy any dancing whatsoever. Thinned out around 11:50 ish but, by then, I had pretty much given up hope due to all the other problems. There was a bit of space at the very end of the main room but as you couldnt hear the music up there it didnt really matter

- Sound quality (main room). As said above the volume of music under the lower part of the main room was terrible. Barely audible causing that sensation of hearing people talking. Weird as most of the time you cant hear people at all.

- Floorcraft. This was obviously made worse by the fact that it was so packed in the blues room. There were 1 or 2 guys (but only 2 that i saw) that were doing drops. You know, it wouldnt worry me if the guys doing them would fracture a bone or two but its the fact that they could hurt others that worries me.

- Floor quality. Woooah. This is a big one !! The floor in the main room was ok but i didnt spend much time dancing in there. (spent lots of time standing watching).
    The floor in the blues room was one of the worst I have danced on in a while. Firstly, it slopes The whole floor seems to slope towards the stage. It meant that people were tracking towards the stage while dancing and it didnt half play havoc with my spinning. This is fine if you have plenty of time to dance on it as you can adapt. As the night was so poor, I didnt get chance to get much dance time in on it.
    Secondly, The top part of the floor wasnt just sticky. It wasnt as if someone had spilled something and it not having been cleaned up. It was just as if the wood wasn't meant as a dancefloor. It was totally different the further away from the stage you went. Terrible terrible condition.

- Fixtures and fittings. Firstly, the gents toilet had no working hand towels. I couldnt see any way of drying your hands. Pretty important to me when it comes to hygiene.
    Secondly, the floor in the gents when I went in (about 11:30) was soaking wet and increadibly sticky. A comment was made that, previously, it had been slippy in there. Whether it was treated or just through misuse but it made my shoes extra sticky which compounded the floor issues later on in the night.
    Thirdly, there was not one table I could see to put drinks on. 3 times I got a can from the foyer area, 3 times i flapped like a weirdo when asked to dance as I had nowhere to put my drink

Well, I am afraid that is my review. Another upside was some of the dances I had. I am not putting this as a Pro though as, to be honest, I would enjoy dancing with some people no matter what the conditions.

Conclusion
    As a venue, this just doesnt work for me. Far too many things that would need to be corrected to make it a feasible freestyle night. ITs fair to say many of the things are outside of Ceroc's control. However, they did decide to use Chiswick town hall.
    The possibility was there with Ceroc's marketing prowess and some fine DJ's but, Im truly sorry to say, it was simply a very very poor night.

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

O.K my views on Chiswick

Too Hot
    Too Packed
    Floor sloped

Erick Nice tunes mate and if it wasn't for standing chatting with you all evening my whole night would have been a disaster

Attempted on having some dances with DJ, WB, Russell, ESG, Dirty D, Barry S, and GD but felt they were plain awful due to the lack of floorcraft, and the slope!!!

I don't think I have ever been bashed about in 12 dances in my life!! Yes 12 dances all night it was that bad!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou DJ for taking me back to wittys you are a diamond gezzar
    Last edited by Tazmanian Devil; 16th-April-2006 at 01:31 AM.

What I found spoke volumes was not how many people were struggling with the dancing but rather how many people were stood about watching !

Says a lot.

I left early and in tears because of this. Taz spent most of the night talking to Erick on the decks because of this. It made me feel like the worlds worst dancer, but having spoke to a few people ( who I class to be sh1t hot) they said the same.

Thank you to the beautiful Taz and Tessalicous for holding me when I was sobbing my heart out.

It was truly appauling I had lost the will to live with it all

Like I said in my earlier post I felt like the worst dancer on the planet.......
    And that aint me.

Sh1te night, not to be repeated...............

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    ITs fair to say many of the things are outside of Ceroc's control. However, they did decide to use Chiswick town hall.
    Curious about that statement. I've always found Chiswick town hall to be a great venue. I used to DJ there when Chis Vessey used to run the popular Dance Crazy events in the late 90's. I think Mike Ellard also used to run events there some time back. The Swinging the Blues nights are held there and are alwys a success.

Sorry, but with a venue like that any team should be able to run a good night. The Ceroc London team can hardly be called amateurs, they are a professional team and have pulled off some great nights. I find it hard to understand how they could have got it so badly wrong.

Also .. if Erik was banished to the Blues room, who was playing in the main room?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Curious about that statement. I've always found Chiswick town hall to be a great venue. I used to DJ there when Chis Vessey used to run the popular Dance Crazy events in the late 90's. I think Mike Ellard also used to run events there some time back. The Swinging the Blues nights are held there and are alwys a success.

Sorry, but with a venue like that any team should be able to run a good night. The Ceroc London team can hardly be called amateurs, they are a professional team and have pulled off some great nights. I find it hard to understand how they could have got it so badly wrong.
    I don't blame ceroc London at all, especially with the list of sucessful events that have been at this venue!! Obviously it's all trial and error when it comes to opening a new freestyle/class night, unfortuately for them this wasn't the best one Fair play to the crew for giving it a go though!!

Also .. if Erik was banished to the Blues room, who was playing in the main room?
    That will have been Annette

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil
    I don't blame ceroc London at all, especially with the list of sucessful events that have been at this venue!!
    Sorry, but not sure if I understand what you are saying. If many other teams have run good events at Chiswick, why should Ceroc London fail? Any organiser knows that once you've sorted the marketing (often the hardest aspect), its down to getting the Music, dancefloor, facilities and drinks sorted, probably in that order.

The acoustics are fine at the venue so there is no excuse for not getting the sound balance right in either room. I know previously there have been trouble getting the floor right ... the venue management previously did Dance Crazy a 'favour' of polishing the main floor so much it was an ice rink (think the night had to be abandoned) ... so you always carry out inspections to make the floor is right. Toilets ... well sorry, bit most organisers I know now go the lengths of making sure free deodorant is provided and their are regular inspections.

These are BASICS! Nothing new. I'm only going on what you guys said. If the team screwed up on the night, then say it. Its only feedback. This thread has been excellent in praising events for getting it right, it should be equally robust in feeding back where organisers haven’t been so successful, like people were about the Marconi freestyle last week.

What sad reading..

I was really hoping that Chiswick was going to work as a regular blues night in London. I think a lot of us would like that. I must admit the 12.30 finish doesn't sit well with Blues, IMO a 2AM finish would be much better.

I was gutted to miss it, but now I don't feel so bad.

One question.

How come no one has ever noticed the sloping floor until now? The annual Chiswick blues nights in January run by Nigel and Nina have had many of the same problems mentioned here; heat, overcrowding etc. but I don't remember anyone mentioning a sloping floor before.

I think Marc in Blues room at Hammersmith Town Hall, is the best way forward for me. That really worked .

Sorry, but not sure if I understand what you are saying. If many other teams have run good events at Chiswick, why should Ceroc London fail? Any organiser knows that once you've sorted the marketing (often the hardest aspect), its down to getting the Music, dancefloor, facilities and drinks sorted, probably in that order.

These are BASICS! Nothing new. I'm only going on what you guys said. If the team screwed up on the night, then say it. Its only feedback. This thread has been excellent in praising events for getting it right, it should be equally robust in feeding back where organisers haven’t been so successful, like people were about the Marconi freestyle last week.
    The night was awful granted, I have already said that. I only know of 3 people who had a great night, but i think that was for personal reasons as opposed to the enjoying the venue itself!!

I know I have cut the team some slack but this is because it was their first night at this particlar venue.
    Their drinks was of a resonable price, they did have big fans dotted around all over the place,(although it still didn't help with the heat) music was fab from Erick Cannot commet on Annett as I didn't spend any time in that room. so IMHO they tried thier best to make it a good one but it just didn't work out!!! The only things I will blame them for is allowing too many people through the door!! (typical problem) and even considering using a room that has a sloping floor

I totally agree that this thread should be used for both positive ad negative feedback, and it is nice to see it being used for this instead of of subject drivel like it has been of late.

Have not read all the thread so apologies in advance ,

but has anyone given any feedback on the clubnights north of the border yet?

....or are you all tooooo scared .

It's just that all the forementioned reasons for haveing good/bad nights all happen up here to. Some more than others and so I thought it might be nice if somebody...anybody, made mention of them.

For me, locality is always a biggy and so my regular venue would be Perth. Not Dundee. Dundee has a high turnover of punters and so many of them are beginners. Now nothing against beginners...but I don't want to dance with them all night. If I'm paying my hard earned 7 quid, I want to dance with great dancers...blah, blah, blah....

The Invercarse is a very grand looking venue, well, at least from the inside but I find the floor to be a bit binding on the shoes. In other words, it's a bit minging and you can guarantee (sp?) that at the end of the night, if you've been wearing suede sole shoes, you'll be spending a good 20 minutes brushing them clean!

Perth (my old venue...so I'm a bit biased ) has just had a refurb and the decor is lovely. The floor has been enlarged. Admittedly not by much but anything is better than nowt. Lighting is good, supply of free water is great, although it does run out quite quickly sometimes, but the bar staff are happy to refill. The floor in my opinion is the big draw to this venue. quite a fast one, and they're the ones I like. Not too many beginners at this venue, so things like floor craft are better than say, at Dundee. Not that that's the fault of the beginner IMO. Oh yeah, and the Perth mob always seem to be that bit friendlier than 'others'. (Lights blue touch paper, stands back and waits!)

Although the dance community up here is quite close...the venue's aren't really. Yeah, we've got Dundee, Perth and Brechin locally but anything else and it's an hour drive (at least). I know that's not much, but if the venue you're going to is questionable and you've been at work all day, the prospect of the drive isn't very appealing.

Ceroc is the big boy up here and appears to have the 'market share' but I have noticed more independants opening up over the past few months. To me this is all to the benefit of the punter (you and me). We end up getting more for our dosh, (Nigel & Nina workshop £20 per person...cheers easy!) and you often find the atmosphere at these other events is very different from the Ceroc ones.

Both do a good job though, so it's up to the individual as to where they go...
    .....it is nice to be different though.

JB.

p.s. Fellow north of the border-ers...please give us your experiences of your venue's so we can all have a better idea of where to go and why.

p.p.s I've only been to Lisa's classes a couple of times, but always, always found them to be really good, challenging and fun to learn without getting the patronising tones from the stage. Nice one Lisa. That's Aberdeen by the way

I had a brilliant night as chiswick last night, floor was lovely in the main room, lots of space to dance nearer the end of the night. i had a lot of good dances with people i'd never danced with before.

I agree about having no tables to put drinks down though and the blue's room was too hot and crowded!

Me and Rosie posie noticed Nick Cotton from eastenders was there so we made sure we got a dance with him, he is only a beginner but wasn't doing too bad.

Would definately go again!

Xxx

I see what you are saying mate. Im fairly hesitant on blaming an organiser for specifics. I usually blame then for choosing a venue as most will not take each area and deal with it as necessary. The things I mentioned in my review may well have been overcome given much work but I think most of them were inherent to a very poor venue.
    It is strange how you have previously enjoyed it there. I remember back to to the blues weekend thing and I didnt particularly enjoy it then either.
    Im afraid I will just have to put it down to a bad choice of venue.

Quote Originally Posted by wayaay bird
    I had a brilliant night as chiswick last night, floor was lovely in the main room, lots of space to dance nearer the end of the night. i had a lot of good dances with people i'd never danced with before.

I agree about having no tables to put drinks down though and the blue's room was too hot and crowded!

Would definately go again!

Xxx
    Im glad you enjoyed the night.

As i said in my post, I agree the floor in the main room was ok and the music, if you were not at the back, was plenty audible and had some good tracks.
    It was definately crowded until late late on. The last time I got such a battering was at St Neots a while ago.

Interesting that Paul and Wayaay Bird can have such different experiences at the same event. It would suggest that different people go for different things and its always going to be hard to please everyone. Maybe some of the earlier 'condemnation' was a bit harsh ... but then again if thats people's perceptions then, for them at least, its reality.

The thing that really does puzzle me is the acoustics. If I remember correctly, in the old days we just had a pair of bog-standard 250w speakers on stage and the sound was AOK. Can see why there would have been problem getting a good sound balance. Its a fairly standard sized room, a lot smaller than the main hall events we have in the N West. Would be nice to get Erik's view of events?

Interesting that Paul and Wayaay Bird can have such different experiences at the same event. It would suggest that different people go for different things and its always going to be hard to please everyone. Maybe some of the earlier 'condemnation' was a bit harsh ... but then again if thats people's perceptions then, for them at least, its reality.
    I think me and Wayaay Bird agreed on most things except for the outcome.
    My review is obviously going to be based more from dancing in the blues room. As it sounds as though WB danced mainly in the main room, and also agreeing about tables and space, it would probably follow that her perception would be different from mine.

With regard to the sound, I have no idea how its overcome. All I know is that, when you moved to the back the sound level dropped considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    I think me and Wayaay Bird agreed on most things except for the outcome.
    My review is obviously going to be based more from dancing in the blues room. As it sounds as though WB danced mainly in the main room, and also agreeing about tables and space, it would probably follow that her perception would be different from mine.

With regard to the sound, I have no idea how its overcome. All I know is that, when you moved to the back the sound level dropped considerably.
    I only had about 4 dances in the blues room but then i always prefer to be in the main room, i dont mind a bit of blue's but not all night.

There's always going to be ups and downs anywhere you go, you cant please everyone all the time.

Xxx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    but has anyone given any feedback on the clubnights north of the border yet?
    ....or are you all tooooo scared
    I wonder if the thing that puts some folk off from reviewing venues in this way is the fact that is often just such a personal thing, and therefore subjective and hard to be objective and therefore "fair". Ie the thing I'd be scared of is imposing my view from a bad night for me and having someone else avoid a venue because of it.

For example, I went to the GUU on Wed last for the freestlye and had a ball, this had nothing in particular to do with the DJ, (heard him before, know his style), nothing in particular to do with the the venue (but admittedly I do like the fast floor), nothing in particular to do with the clientele, I knew fewer than 10 people in the place due to having been "out injured" for so long, but had everything to do with the fact that I personally was up for it.

On the other hand I've had some really crappy nights in the same place when others were obviously having a great time.

So my input would always be, if you're in the mood come 7pm of an evening, suck it and see, if it's not great, don't worry too much, one of the great things about dance world is that there's always another night coming up.

disclaimer, obviously there are places on the extremes where consitantly poor floor and folk are going to pull you down off your high, but, in the main, this is my view
    Last edited by Chicklet; 16th-April-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Thread Information