Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Club nights

Re: Feedback on Club nights

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers
    Tell Mr Blitz he needs some more speakers. Two on Stockport stage and none down by the bar just does not work. If you are Mr Dee Jay next time make them bring two more speakers and stands and some bloody long leads.
    Funny you should mention that ....

When I first started DJing at Stockport (two yaers ago) we used two sets of speaskers as you said. Recently, the lovely Stockport people went to the trouble of putting in 3 pairs of serious speakers down the walls and some serious sound decks to boot. On a weekly class, Wednesdays, Blitz use the in-house system, sometimes supported by a pair of indepedant speakers on stage. This seems to work fine, despite the size of the place. I've no idea why this configuration wan't used at the last freestyle, but as my butt is on the line for the next freestyle I will make damm sure that I know what configuration will be used.

Re your feedback, keep it coming. I'm not part of Blitz (I'm merely a DJ harlot, working for whoever pays me ) but I know that Mr Blitz (aka Marc) and associates have had their attention drawn to this thread and are taking on board the feedback.

Anyone else here work for the Stockport Tourist Agency or is it just Donna?

sorry

but as my butt is on the line for the next freestyle I will make damm sure that I know what configuration will be used.

Ah well if we all get to see your Butt on the line we should organise an Impromtu BFG.
    Fill the place up even more.
    When is your night then Gus.

can you put Rockaria on for me then?

Oh and if Mr Blitz is watching - the two people who take the money are lovely. I don't think there's a nicer door team to give money to anywhere.

Donna

Anyone else here work for the Stockport Tourist Agency or is it just Donna?

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    This is the only problem with Stockport
    ?????

If people do take note of whats said in here like Gus says Mr Blitz does then maybe its time the franchise owners on some of these venues found better accommodation. Or started a second night. They may take a hit on revenue for a few weeks but personally i like to think they are trying to find the best places/music/dj's/teachers continually not just putting up with crap because they still get feet thru the door.

Lets have some venues produce questionaires - How did we do? what went wrong etc. or suggestion boxes. Or just even invite a few regulars to discuss possibilities with someone who can change things - i.e the franchisee not the night staff but then to act on the information received.

I know sometime I feel like the franchises have us over a barrel. It's like drugs - our friends who suddenly we find out are users get us into to the ****. We go a few times saying I can handle it, I'm not addicted. Then suddenly 6 years have gone by and you're planning your life from one dance to the next. Go on holiday or get sick a while and you start getting nervous and irritable go without for a little longer and hit cold turkey. We end up dancing with a broken wrist, sprained ankle we've all done it. We are all addicts.
    And the franchisee's know this - we only need the thought that there will be other addicts in a room with music and we'll turn up - Take busking for instance - who before they started dancing would have stood in the middle of a shopping centre and frankly made so much of a spectacle of themselves to cause people to stop and stare at them?
    And we do it for free! we do it because it's a bloody free dance! We don't care whether there are new addicts watching preparing to inject that first lesson of jiving. We just do it becasue we can't stop anymore.
    So our dealers (the franchisee) start cutting the product - making it weaker (venues become too full or dirty floor or crap Dj or teacher) - we start needing more hits (so we go to other venues too). But the dealer doesn't care he still sells his **** and we still lap it up.

Maybe we should get our chemistry sets out and make a product ourselves. Maybe a few non profit venues by the people for the people would wake them up a little.
    Power to the people?

Maybe I do live in no. 9 Cloud Cuckoo avenue but I'm looking to move to Hope Avenue via Righteous Indignation street!

Someone make it better! Please!

Donna

Lets have some venues produce questionaires - How did we do? what went wrong etc. or suggestion boxes. Or just even invite a few regulars to discuss possibilities with someone who can change things - i.e the franchisee not the night staff but then to act on the information received.
    Now THIS is an excellent idea! I have only ever come across one venue that has done that before and that was Ceroc Nantwich. I gave them top marks. I used to go there for the lessons every Tuesday but instead go to Chester now. Now I go every month without fail for the freestyles. Beautiful floor and venue. Well air conditioned.(Especially on one part of the floor where its blowing like mad and everybody tries to hogg that space... including me! ) Great music played. Excellent atmosphere.

[ODA MODE]Why should a Franchisee care? Put me in the role of a franchisee with a packed venue. Every week I have hordes of dancers coming to my venue. They complain about it being too packed, the teacher being up his own ar**e and the music sucks ... BUT ... they all come back next week. Dont blame me, blame the morons who come week in week out, give me their money for something they then complain about. Go figure!

Maybe I do live in no. 9 Cloud Cuckoo avenue but I'm looking to move to Hope Avenue via Righteous Indignation street!

Someone make it better! Please!
    Feedback should be the life blood of any business. So any venue should test its facilities etc against a feedback questionaire.

DJ Chris Uren

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    [ODA MODE]Why should a Franchisee care? Put me in the role of a franchisee with a packed venue. Every week I have hordes of dancers coming to my venue. They complain about it being too packed, the teacher being up his own ar**e and the music sucks ... BUT ... they all come back next week. Dont blame me, blame the morons who come week in week out, give me their money for something they then complain about. Go figure!
    I'm sure all franchisees out there get no end of complaints. Why? Because nobody is ever satified no matter how good the venue may be. Maybe the person complaining finds that it didn't suit them.. so why not move on and find somewhere else that does. So long as there is good music, dance floor, air con, atmosphere.. what more do people need to have a good time?

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I'm sure all franchisees out there get no end of complaints. Why? Because nobody is ever satified no matter how good the venue may be. Maybe the person complaining finds that it didn't suit them.. so why not move on and find somewhere else that does. So long as there is good music, dance floor, air con, atmosphere.. what more do people need to have a good time?
    In theory yes ... but being a franchisee is a business ... if you get money without having to bother ... why bother? Lots of real life examples of this happening, in the face of business logic. Its up to the punters to vote with their feet. Alos, very few people complain, even when the night has been awefull. While the sheep continue to throw money at undeserving clubs, the abuse continues.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU
    Feedback should be the life blood of any business. So any venue should test its facilities etc against a feedback questionaire.

DJ Chris Uren
    Been there, done that, got the doodles on the forms. Writing feedback takes too much effort away from dancing! Only a few rare individual dancers care enough to bother and they generally say it to your face.

People just like to complain, whatever, you just take it and carry on. I stopped listening to what people said to me a long time ago, because it never means anything. "Please keep this venue open, we love it, we will support it". Rubbish, weeks or months later you shut, with a bank balance a few thousand lighter because you "listened" to someone. Unless people vote, not with just their feet, but lets face it, with their cash, NOTHING will ever be done. And why should they when those on the inside who try to make a difference get ostracised in public anyway!

This is a fickle business and no matter how hard you try you are still up against places, that have no atmosphere, crap music and you are totally unappreciated but people continue to go "cos my friends go"! Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle
    Been there, done that, got the doodles on the forms. Writing feedback takes too much effort away from dancing! Only a few rare individual dancers care enough to bother and they generally say it to your face.

People just like to complain, whatever, you just take it and carry on. I stopped listening to what people said to me a long time ago, because it never means anything. "Please keep this venue open, we love it, we will support it". Rubbish, weeks or months later you shut, with a bank balance a few thousand lighter because you "listened" to someone. Unless people vote, not with just their feet, but lets face it, with their cash, NOTHING will ever be done. And why should they when those on the inside who try to make a difference get ostracised in public anyway!

This is a fickle business and no matter how hard you try you are still up against places, that have no atmosphere, crap music and you are totally unappreciated but people continue to go "cos my friends go"! Nuff said.
    All businesses are fickle in some way when you deal with the public. But............................... I detect a note of bitterness. Ignore the customer at your peril.

Perhaps the popularity will continue to increase - Greater competition - Better dancing...Cream always rises to the top.

Regards

DJ Chris Uren

Commercial Operator

Cream always rises to the top.
    erm ther's something else that floats ..........

Let's face it people are stupid - they go with the herd. I had someone tell me that they go to a venue in spite of the fact that they know the teaching is poor - barmy. Get people to support a new venture - little chance after all they don't want to look stupid.

Me, tired of MJ? ........................

Interesting posts so far.

I have to totally agree with the majority of views. I have seen it a few times now. A good venue stops operating while another venue of questionable quality thrives. I am of course talking about Stockport Town Hall. Seeing how I am not teaching around there any more I will give my opinion (yeah ,like thats ever stopped me before !)

Stockport Town Hall has, to me, always been a vastly over-rated night. The building itself is great but that has no reflection of the quality of the night. The floor, last time i went, was awful. I like a fast floor and found it to be anything but.
    The bar service was laughable. I queued up for a good 10 minutes. May not sound a lot but when you are stood there it is
    On a couple of occasions they had all the perimeter speakers on which meant you could hear it but it wasnt really worth hearing. A walkman and two pairs of headphones would have been preferable. One time they had 2 speakers on the stage - I walked out after an hour.
    Lighting. The lighting was non-existent. They had a red ceiling illuminating light on and a bright white wall light near the bar that was so sterile it was completely unnecessary. It provided no ambience whatsoever.

YET...

It was packed

People go because people go. A ludicrous statement but one that must be so hard to compete against.

-------
    Im about to go off on a tangent. Buckle up.
    -------

On the issue Gus mentioned (great to have you back BTW mate. I missed you ). The point about people not voting with their feet and still handing over their cash, I feel the same way about footballers' wages.

One of my biggest pet hates, something that makes me boil up inside with rage is the amount footballers get paid. How can we stop it? Easy, people just have to stop going to watch them.

Fat chance

Ok. Im done. Back to the dancing.

All businesses are fickle in some way when you deal with the public. But............................... I detect a note of bitterness. Ignore the customer at your peril.

Perhaps the popularity will continue to increase - Greater competition - Better dancing...Cream always rises to the top.
    There are times to listen and times to pay lip service. The average customer in this business has no idea of the amount of input versus reward you getin MJ. They see the money handed over at the Front Desk and that is it. Nothing of the huge overheads! Without wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, the MJ scene is NOT the same as commercial DJ work in any way shape or form, and a lot less well paid! MJ is more fickle than most, there is no one success formula and no manual or principles to follow, a free for all.

I am not bitter, with one exception, resigned to reality, but this Forum is meant to be a sounding board or moaning platform!

Competition in my area counts for nothing except dilution and survival absolutely nothing to do with quality.

Right, I'm off to collude with Clevedonboy and PaulF!

There are times to listen and times to pay lip service. The average customer in this business has no idea of the amount of input versus reward you getin MJ. They see the money handed over at the Front Desk and that is it. Nothing of the huge overheads! Without wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, the MJ scene is NOT the same as commercial DJ work in any way shape or form, and a lot less well paid! MJ is more fickle than most, there is no one success formula and no manual or principles to follow, a free for all.

I am not bitter, with one exception, resigned to reality, but this Forum is meant to be a sounding board or moaning platform!

Competition in my area counts for nothing except dilution and survival absolutely nothing to do with quality.

Right, I'm off to collude with Clevedonboy and PaulF!
    Why should the customer care!! You really are bitter.

Accept the fact IT IS A BUSINESS. I worked in R&R when it was the biggest thing to teach and earn money from. But it died because people didn't take it seriously.

No business has a fixed formula. Make your own formula and make that work. If you don't then out of business people will go. And most of the time that would be deserved.

Why should the customer care!! You really are bitter.

Accept the fact IT IS A BUSINESS. I worked in R&R when it was the biggest thing to teach and earn money from. But it died because people didn't take it seriously.

No business has a fixed formula. Make your own formula and make that work. If you don't then out of business people will go. And most of the time that would be deserved.
    OK then Chris I will say it, until you know what you are talking about I would suggest you refrain from such rude replies, especially when you don't actually know the member you are talking to. I don't care how long you have DJ'd in other areas, this is not the same. At least I am using my own formula and not riding on the back of someone elses and continually pushing for free advice from those who have learned the hard way on here.

Take some of your own advice before dishing it!

OK then Chris I will say it, until you know what you are talking about I would suggest you refrain from such rude replies, especially when you don't actually know the member you are talking to. I don't care how long you have DJ'd in other areas, this is not the same. At least I am using my own formula and not riding on the back of someone elses and continually pushing for free advice from those who have learned the hard way on here.

Take some of your own advice before dishing it!
    First clearly other people are not entitled to an opinion. And I only stated what I believe to be a fact. Do not see that as rude.

Second - Yes I am prepared to learn from others. Been DJing for 30 years. Very successfully and changed my image / style 5 or six times to cope with changes in the business. And still DJing very successfully. I have met lots of very successful people in MJ and I note that many of them have arrisen from different genres. I asked them how they did it. Havn't yet had one person not prepared to talk to me about their business. Good or Bad. Now I work for some of them.

Third No I don't know which member I am talking to. Why is that relevant. Its a discussion forum. You know very little about me, but feel the need to cut at me.

Perhaps we should end it there. I have nothing personal and would happily shake your hand and continue the discussion when we meet. Hope you have a good MJ night tonight.

Regards

DJ Chris Uren

[QUOTE=ChrisU] Now I work for some of them.[QUOTE]

It's easy to say that Chris. You work for them. You turn up, you get paid and you leave. When you are the first person there, may or may not get paid, put a lot of your own money on the line and are the last to leave, you may feel differently.

Learning from others is all well and good. I am sure they talk generally and would never divulge ground basics and financials. Getting others to do the hard work and benefiting from it is something else. I know it goes on and I am not suggesting that is what you are doing merely higlighting that goes on a lot and I have been a victim of it myself.

I only cut when discussions descend to that level.

Happy to leave it there too, but I think saying someone is bitter is a personal comment and not a fact. Opinions are fine and I am all for expressing them, but I don't class that as one.

Thread Information