Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Club nights

Glitter Queen

Re: Feedback on Club nights

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    I think some of us are far more experienced than others...but I tell you the 1 hour car journeys to and from London have sure filled in a lot of the gaps in my knowledge.
    Hey, maybe it's worth moving north so that I could make the trip too - something tells me I've a lot to learn

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    So if you're 'middle aged' does that also make you 'experienced'?
    They're not really related.

"Middle-aged" is a neutral concept.

"Experienced" is positive.

"Mature" is a distinct negative, and quite unnecessary as an accompaniment to growing older. In fact I think the truly well-balanced use their experience to ensure that they don't get too mature.

Donna

Oi! Get your elbow out of my eye!
    I don't think there's enough room in here for both of us - go find your own hiding place...

Aawww! *Wonders off in a state of panic...ok! hides under the table whilst listening to Chris A trying to back us up*

Hey, maybe it's worth moving north so that I could make the trip too - something tells me I've a lot to learn
    Yeah anytime Sarah we've got some fantastic roadworks now. The widening of the M1 is making for some really long journeys...Already I have noticed the conversations have been getting very long and incredibly detailed.

Fortunately I managed NOT TO STALL THE CAR, but it has been close at times.

ZW

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA

"Mature" is a distinct negative, and quite unnecessary as an accompaniment to growing older. In fact I think the truly well-balanced use their experience to ensure that they don't get too mature.
    Really? If I use the term "mature" to describe perhaps someone who is 20, I mean it as a huge compliment. It doesn't mean the person is lacking a sense of fun or is boring, but is grown-up enough to be sensible enough about the stuff they need to be sensible about. Oh and mature cheese ....

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink
    Really? If I use the term "mature" to describe perhaps someone who is 20, I mean it as a huge compliment. It doesn't mean the person is lacking a sense of fun or is boring, but is grown-up enough to be sensible enough about the stuff they need to be sensible about. Oh and mature cheese ....

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Definition of mature is 'fully developed, ripe, adult' well i'm all of these.

Glitter Queen

That was kinda my point.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    Fortunately I managed NOT TO STALL THE CAR, but it has been close at times.

ZW
    No but you did manage to cut someone up, eh SF?

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Yeah!! It's really annoying when you're expecting a full house to liven up the atmosphere only to find it totally dead... and why? Foootballl!
    Funny, round these parts it's the women who seem to be absent when there's football on...

Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    My own personal preference would be for the kind of smooth blues set played by Marc Forster and others. But if that's not available (and it usually isn't ) then I'm happy to hear a mixed selection of standard jive classics - tracks you can have a good time to even if they're not that subtle.
    I'm not sure that there are many Marc clones about but there ARE a fair few competent DJs in the North than can entertain. DJ Gary in the N East has a good rep and the main DJ for Blitz Chester, Neil, plays some sublime and varied sets ... though maybe not as Bluesy as you may want.

But these were not in evidence, either. Many of the tracks I had never heard before, and I was amazed at the regional difference between the music played there and in the Midlands.
    Please don't take this one night at Stockport as an indication of 'North West' music. I'm not saying its the best on the planet but it is varied.

So I won't be rushing back there.
    Shame .... I'm DJing at the next Stockport freestyle. Come and see if it still sucks. If it does, then I'll pay for your ticket ... how does that sound?

Donna

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I'm not sure that there are many Marc clones about but there ARE a fair few competent DJs in the North than can entertain. DJ Gary in the N East has a good rep and the main DJ for Blitz Chester, Neil, plays some sublime and varied sets ... though maybe not as Bluesy as you may want.
    How about cloning Alex from Chester? Now he plays some good music! (Damn I'm going to get a slap here ) The last couple of times he's played at nantwich have been spot on though and he's had some great comments. Of course, the best DJ award goes to......... drum rooollllll

Of course it's the lovely Gus!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    How about cloning Alex from Chester? Now he plays some good music! (Damn I'm going to get a slap here ) The last couple of times he's played at nantwich have been spot on though and he's had some great comments.
    Urrrrrrr ... its Alec that all the complaints (see JiveCat) were about .....

Donna

Urrrrrrr ... its Alec that all the complaints (see JiveCat) were about .....

Oh... funny that. Must be something wrong with the air conditioning still at Nantwich.. gets him on a high you know?

Couldn't stay away, eh?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Gerry is one of the new Bowden DJs. I like his music and would recommend him (even though he hasn't played The Mavericks yet)

Daisy

(An Appreciative Little FLower)

It's true I like the bluesy/latin/smooth stuff and I don't know if I make enough allowances for the variations in people's taste - I was aghast to discover (at the Polar Freezestyle for example) that there are people who just don't like it. It's beyond my comprehension why they don't! So all my comments had a strong personal bias.

Please don't take this one night at Stockport as an indication of 'North West' music. I'm not saying its the best on the planet but it is varied.
    Yes, I was being a bit unreasonable to judge on the basis of just one night.

Shame .... I'm DJing at the next Stockport freestyle. Come and see if it still sucks. If it does, then I'll pay for your ticket ... how does that sound?
    You're a gent, Gus. I wouldn't dream of taking you up on it, though - I'll probably be on holiday for one thing, and, as I said, Stockport is way off my regular patch anyway. Stockport is not exactly losing a lot by lack of my attendance, I've only been twice in as many years. But thanks for the offer - and I hope I get to hear you DJing one day!

If it's any comfort I also enjoy a good moan about music at Midlands venues, too.

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

O.k pull up a chair, make a hot drink of your choice this could be a long one

*takes deep breath*

Warmwell weekender

On arrival there was no wait for the keys to the lodge, nice welcome and absolutley gorgeous complex!

Lodge Very nice indeed (photos at bottom) Joint living room and kitchen area very spacious, table and chairs in the kitchen area large enough for 6 people to sit around comfortably and living area had a 2 and 3 seater sofa and an arm chair very comfortable area indeed. 3 large bedrooms and a spacious bathroom/toilet (which had a shower and bath that could easily fit 3 people in awaits comments as I know what you lot are like)
    Definately 10/10 for accomodation

Night 1 Very disappointed that there was only 1 hall to dance in which actually had a carpeted walkway through the middle of it although it still wasn't too packed to dance. The 2 bands great their music was by no means too fast or slow. DJ's AWFUL Clubby music all night from them, I have never been so happy for a band to come on ever!! I even left the hall early to return to the lodge as I couldn't stand it any longer

Saturday Did none of the 6 classes available due to going into weymouth town centre on a 3hr hunt for a swim suit, so I couldn't possibly comment on the class quality
    NightDance with a stranger competition early evening was a good laugh with all 3 winners getting a trophy
    Music tonight was top quality by both dj's and both Bands I barely sat a track out all night. Then to finish the evening they had songs like Cha-cha slide, Tiger Feet and Nellie the elephant which everybody joined in with nellie the elephant being the funniest I had tears strolling down my face watching them fly round the hall
    This was followed by Battle of the sexes which was also quite funny (this is the greese remix) The guys stand one side of the hall and the ladies the other and they have to roleplay the entire track but you are not allowed to touch anybody of the opposite sex, very funny indeed

SundayAgain I did none of the 5 classes available, but I did go up for the afternoon freestyle which was a band called The alley Cats Very good bad (coming from someone who generally doesn't like dancing to bands)
    NightDj 1 Great selection of music followed by Fancy dress competition which I must say was done very well every individual, and group was introduced they could have music or a script done which made it all good fun there was even a mini showcase from one of the fancy dress groups which was Fab (they won and they so deserved it)
    Band 1 Awful, Reminded me why I don't like dancing to bands
    Dj and Band 2 great blend of tracks DJ 3 Grrr the likes of Take that was being played throughout the whole set
    Again they finished the night with tracks like Tigerfeet, YMCA, etc etc where everyone joined in

Freestyle went on till 2am each day which does seem a little early but for this type of holiday it is just right and people had parties in their lodges anyway!

Prices Very good I though at: -
    £1 Jug of water or 25p a glass
    £3 Jug of juice or 75p a glass
    £2.60 Pint of beer
    Food was also resonably priced and nice quality.

Good Points
    Complex is gorgeous (I know I already said that)
    Plenty of activities to do during the day like Swimming, Dry ski-ing, or snowboarding, Golf, Badminton, Nature reserve etc etc.
    You can take your children and non dancing family members.
    Very friendly atmosphere
    Professional photograther going round all weekend taking picies of people freestyling, they were available to buy and take away with you there and then, prices starting at £5
    Wild birds on your doorstep in the morning (picies at bottom)

Bad points
    As mentioned above certain DJ's and Bands Friday was a big disappointment.
    No saturday lunchtime freestyle,
    Quite far to walk if your lodge is the other side of the complex although it would be a nice walk it actually rained all weekend so most people drove upto the main hall.

O.K to finish off!! If you want a typical dance holiday where you can slog it out all weekend then this is not the holiday for you. But if you want a really nice break with the added bonus of dancing available then this holiday is for you I will certainly go back

I do hope I haven't missed anything
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil
    Wild birds on your doorstep in the morning
    That's all the incentive some fellas will need to go along.

The Perfect Woman!

Oh yes !

Thread Information