Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Club nights

Re: Blues Room At Hammersmith this Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    Oh i thought it was Chris?
    It was indeed , that was why I was revisiting this thread.

I'm presuming that you obliged with the dips and lifts on the previous freestyle? Not this one, otherwise there is a contradiction in these two quotes.
    No contradiction. I was asked for the dip and slide in the middle of the floor, and declined because it was too dangerous. I had leather soled shoes on, and they were not secure enough on that floor. That was why I would not do the slide in the class. I did other dips lift and a "through the legs" in a safe corner.
    I love doing sliding dips, but only if the partner and situation is right. It almost never is. Very few ladies feel secure doing them.

and apologies to Rob.

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Re: Feedback on Club nights

Ok Well a one armed Angel has been hiding up north for a week, and though I'm not dancing much (still following off my left I'm afraid guys) I 've been to vist a couple of places so here's my feedback upon the venues;

Tuesday night at Chester Guildhall.

Overall very positive. Managed to find the venue without too much trouble (apart from me taking the wrong turn!!) and although there wasn't free parking the nice car park right behind the Guildhall was reasonable (£1) (I'm sure there are free places but I was only visiting so don't know where they are).
    Lots of very friendly and welcoming people at the front door, which made a good impression and who were also very happy to chat. Venue was good, not too large to lose people but big enough once everyone had arrived to have enough space. Bar was reasonable and had enough staff (big bonus).
    Didn't make it in time for the beginners class so sorry can't comment about that, However I was treated to the intermediate class, which I enjoyed and was IMHO well taught. I liked the moves as they were on the more usual side, although personally I'm not sure I would have put those moves together or would use them in the future that way, it was good to see them and see how other people link moves.
    Music was very good I really enjoyed the set, only downside was me not being able to dance much to it, (guys a few more of you need to learn how to cope with ladies following off the left hand) however as I was enjoying the music the night didn't seem to drag as much. I did manage a couple of left handed dances (Thank you ) and I even managed the last dance of the night to Fire
    Also managed to meet the lovely Donna and Ste, who were fab, and very enjoyable to watch - Thanks for the chat guys I will try and make it up when I'm actually back following off my right hand again.
    On the down side - IMHO there were a few too many move monsters in evidence, content to drag ladies through the moves regardless of the ability - however as I have an inane dislike of these kinds of people my judgement could be a little clouded, and other than a few people showing a lack in floorcraft had no real complaints.

Thursday at Cinnamon Club, Bowden

Overall comment would be OK, teaching great, music not completely to my taste.
    Venue was great, free parking at the venue (always good) nice large hall, good dance floor, though it was a little cold towards the entrance and the resting area, (possibly as there was a function upstairs) but as most people were dancing they probably didn't notice as much as I did. Didn't find the door staff quite as welcoming but were helpful when asked, however did manage to find lots of friendly locals to chat to, which helped pass the night.
    I managed to see both the classes here, the beginners class was pitched at the right level and pace and the majority followed the class. Intermediates, was a good if challenging routine, with the moves flowing well. Teacher was excellent, the routine that was demoed was shortened (although many would not have noticed) to keep pace with the class, ensuring they could lead the moves, and to keep the lesson to time. Also to the teacher who patiently managed to go through one tricky move 9 times. IMO very well done not sure I would have had the patience myself.
    Now bad points - I have to say this, the music! I'm sorry but it really wasn't to my taste at all, I have been to a wide range of places but IMHO the music was barely OK, probably one out of every 3-4 tracks I would have considered dancing to. Music was either very retro (which isn't necessarily bad I do like a wide range of music) or club based - I just didn't enjoy the choices made by the DJ, there were a few inbetween and good tracks- just not enough of them IMHO. Saying that though, people were dancing to the music and were enjoying themselves, with only normal levels of people sat out and chatting. So although I may not have rated the music others seemed to be fine with it.
    Again managed to end the night with a left handed dance!!!

Overall I would head back to Chester and Bowden again, although I enjoyed the music in Chester more, I would like to try Bowden again as one night can be misrepresentative of the whole (plus the teaching was great ).

I'll let you know the outcome next time work sends me up north.

Angel xxx

Donna

[QUOTE=Almost an Angel]

Venue was good, not too large to lose people but big enough once everyone had arrived to have enough space.
    Hey you should try the freestyle nights! No room to swing a cat!

Bar was reasonable and had enough staff (big bonus).

I agree! The bar staff are great and are such a good laugh!

However I was treated to the intermediate class, which I enjoyed and was IMHO well taught. I liked the moves as they were on the more usual side, although personally I'm not sure I would have put those moves together or would use them in the future that way, it was good to see them and see how other people link moves.
    A few people I've met from down south have commented on the way people are taught up here. People down south dance on a higher level than up North so would have to keep the moves fairly simple (even in an intermediate) so that everybody can cope and ensure they have an enjoyable night. Also a few peeps up here who have been down south said the lessons were much more fun and the dancers are much better. I think down south you get a younger age group so they tend to pick things up quicker. Up here, most are middle aged and have most probably MJ is their first partner dance experience.

(guys a few more of you need to learn how to cope with ladies following off the left hand)

and I even managed the last dance of the night to Fire
    The perfect track to end the night!

Also managed to meet the lovely Donna and Ste, who were fab, and very enjoyable to watch - Thanks for the chat guys I will try and make it up when I'm actually back following off my right hand again.
    Aww thanks! It was lovely to meet you too and hope to see you up here again soon.

Hope your hand gets better soon too!

Take care

Donna. x

Quote Originally Posted by Donna

I think down south you get a younger age group so they tend to pick things up quicker. Up here, most are middle aged and have most probably MJ is their first partner dance experience.

How very dare you? You'll be OLD one day

Daisy

(An Offended Middle Aged Little Flower).
    Last edited by Daisy Chain; 27th-March-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain
    How very dare you? You'll be OLD one day

Daisy

(An Offended Middle Aged Little Flower).

Em.. ur.. yikes! Well, I wasn't saying AALLL middle aged people find things hard to pick up, but we have to face facts that some do and it's natural. I know I'm going to get old one day, and I might be one of them. You sure get some hot middle aged dancers though! I'm sure you are!

I think down south you get a younger age group so they tend to pick things up quicker. Up here, most are middle aged and have most probably MJ is their first partner dance experience.
    Huh?

I don't think age has anything to do with it Donna.

I think it's entirely down to the individual. People who care about the dance experience they are giving their partner, work on their own dancing and improve themselves. Simple as that.

Down south I am pleased to say we have loads of middle aged dancers who do care and have improved at a phenomenal rate.

Whether people have experienced other dance forms before MJ also to me seems independent of age.

FYI I myself and all of my favourite dancers are, as you say, 'middle aged' (although we don't ever use that phrase ). IMO it is a great age to be, we have a sense of humour, and mature perspective that adds so much extra to the dance.

And we can be so patronising when we want to.

ZW
    Last edited by Zebra Woman; 27th-March-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Donna

I think it's entirely down to the individual. People who care about the dance experience they are giving their partner, work on their own dancing and improve themselves. Simple as that.
    You have got a point there ZW. I think those who really do care about their dancing are those who pick up on it fast and are good at it. Depends how determined you are.

What is it then, that makes the standard of dancing up here lower than down there? It seems to me that its more of the older dancers down south that pick it up better than those up here. Why is this? It's like Almost An Angel said,

I liked the moves as they were on the more usual side, although personally I'm not sure I would have put those moves together or would use them in the future that way,
    It's the way they are taught then. I don't do the lessons up here anymore just the freestyle. Even though you can get some good moves, I don't think I benefit from it for comps so watch videos and stick to ballroom lessons instead.

Down south I am pleased to say we have loads of middle aged dancers who do care and have improved at a phenomenal rate.

FYI I myself and all of my favourite dancers are, as you say, 'middle aged' (although we don't ever use that phrase
    ).

What phrase do you use then?

IMO it is a great age to be, we have a sense of humour, and mature perspective that adds so much extra to the dance.
    And er, younger people don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Almost an Angel

Now bad points - I have to say this, the music!
    So often my lament on the MJ front - though I accept that it's largely just another "age related" problem.

Went to a local freestyle put on by a lindy crew the other night. Was deliberately rather late as freestyles are usually slow to warm up, but overdid it as the car park was full and there was little vacant seating left around the floor. Quite a nice venue with some welcoming touches like tablecloths on the tables and coloured candles floating in bowls. There was a generous seating area by the bar where a pint was a reasonable £2. The dancers were already in full swing, which looked pretty fast and furious and apart from a few honourable exceptions was very bouncy. A few faces were vaugely familiar but there was only one lady with whom I had previously danced so I had even fewer dances during the evening than is my wont. The 'ladies asking culture' wasn't much in evidence except for the lady I already knew. Didn't mind though as, for a change, I really enjoyed most of the music and was quite content to sit there listening and supping my beer. Nelly Lutcher, Creedence Clearwater, Katie Melua; can't be bad. There seemed to be about the same proportion of nice slow tracks as at my normal venues. Though, now I think back, there was little if any latiny stuff. So for me, musicwise, quite a treat, and at the same time it seemed to me that the age demographic was much the same as the MJ normal and that there does not have to be a preponderance of thump-thump stuff to attract and retain the younger ones.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    So often my lament on the MJ front - though I accept that it's largely just another "age related" problem.

Went to a local freestyle put on by a lindy crew the other night. Was deliberately rather late as freestyles are usually slow to warm up, but overdid it as the car park was full and there was little vacant seating left around the floor. Quite a nice venue with some welcoming touches like tablecloths on the tables and coloured candles floating in bowls. There was a generous seating area by the bar where a pint was a reasonable £2. The dancers were already in full swing, which looked pretty fast and furious and apart from a few honourable exceptions was very bouncy. A few faces were vaugely familiar but there was only one lady with whom I had previously danced so I had even fewer dances during the evening than is my wont. The 'ladies asking culture' wasn't much in evidence except for the lady I already knew. Didn't mind though as, for a change, I really enjoyed most of the music and was quite content to sit there listening and supping my beer. Nelly Lutcher, Creedence Clearwater, Katie Melua; can't be bad. There seemed to be about the same proportion of nice slow tracks as at my normal venues. Though, now I think back, there was little if any latiny stuff. So for me, musicwise, quite a treat, and at the same time it seemed to me that the age demographic was much the same as the MJ normal and that there does not have to be a preponderance of thump-thump stuff to attract and retain the younger ones.
    IMO it is very important that they play all types of music to suit all age groups to ensure everybody has a good night! For me, the dance music and Latin does it!

Em.. ur.. yikes! Well, I wasn't saying AALLL middle aged people find things hard to pick up, but we have to face facts that some do and it's natural.
    No it ain't. I've still got stacks of brain cells in reserve and so has everyone else my age. Some people choose not to use them, though. What will you do when you're middle-aged? Are you planning on giving up learning new things because it's unnatural?

Come to that, I've seen a fair few 20 somethings that find jive hard to pick up as well.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    No it ain't. I've still got stacks of brain cells in reserve and so has everyone else my age.
    Ahem yes of course you have...because you're a women! Sorry guys!!!

Some people choose not to use them, though.
    Yeah.. Irritating.

What will you do when you're middle-aged?
    Erm, use them the best I possibly can, providing I don't get Alzheimer’s or something! Em, sorry what was I saying?

Are you planning on giving up learning new things because it's unnatural?
    Me?! Not a chance! I'm always up for a challenge! I take after my Mum.

You have got a point there ZW. I think those who really do care about their dancing are those who pick up on it fast and are good at it. Depends how determined you are.
    Yes, us 'middle aged' types can be very determined.....and caring.
    What is it then, that makes the standard of dancing up here lower than down there? It seems to me that its more of the older dancers down south that pick it up better than those up here. Why is this? It's like Almost An Angel said,
    Well Donna, I can only speak from my own very personal experience.

Local dancing:

I danced only locally for 5 years, never going to London or on any weekenders. The teachers were way better than all the local dancers but after a while I like you I stopped doing the classes because they weren't helping me to improve my dancing . There seemed to be no way to get better, I felt my dancing had completely plateaud, plus I hated the ceroc music, very fast and poppy, nothing older than 5 years old until after 10PM. So many of my favourite male leads left ceroc for salsa, Lindy and tango. I also did 5 years of salsa. The last two years that I danced locally I felt more and more despondent, I was missing so many friends who had given up Ceroc, and hating the music, and worst of all not feeling any improvement in my dancing despite being acutely aware that there was still a massive room for improvement.
    When I left to dance in London it was with a very very heavy heart and after years of wrangling with the local DJs. I still miss my local dance mates terribly . Fortunately many of them join me for car trips to London or meet me there.

London Dancing:

It's not perfect but as you say there seems to be a slightly higher proportion of good dancers in London. People for whom dancing is their main hobby, you can tell easily - when football is on the telly, they don't have to stay in and watch it. Why this is I do not know ..I if I could put something into the water supply here to make more of the the local guys put dancing first I would.

Anyway, once I settled in to dancing in London I felt far more at home, than I have ever felt locally. I prefer the music as it's more adventurous and there seems to be a higher proportion of like minded people who just want to dance. As you know, in London Nigel and Nina and Amir have taught smooth, stylish and musical dancing, I think this has helped focus people on their lead and follow and the look and feel of their dance more than just the moves. I'm sure this is going on all over the country in little pockets and I know some of the ceroc teachers in the sticks also teach smooth dancing (Paul Harris for one), but the sheer number of 'keen to be smooth and musical' dancers in London swings it for me.

There also seems to be a fantastic added element of friends helping each other. KevF and Lory took time to sort out my wrong cha cha step yesterday at the T jive, only 2 minutes but I really appreciated their help. Andreas, ESG, SilverFox, ChrisA,and DJ have all made helpful suggestions from time to time, which I really appreciate. Thank you all I feel honoured to be part of a dance community that is improving by a kind of internal self help independent of Ceroc lessons. There are some very lucky dancers who have joined this community from the off and they are much better dancers after 2 years than I was after 6.

What phrase do you use then?
    Mature.

And er, younger people don't?
    Oh no they do! It's...er...just..... not quite the same IMHO

ZW

I went to Stockport Town Hall last Saturday, I think it was Blitz night. I have only been once before, several years ago, and was looking forward to going again as the venue has a good reputation. It took a considerable effort to get there, at least 2 & a half hours of driving each way, some of it shared, luckily.

The venue itself was as lovely as I remembered it, but the music was a HUGE disappointment. There were hours of frenzied thump thump thump, only relieved by some heavy blues stuff. Near the end of the night they played some more subtle stuff but I can only remember about half a dozen tracks all evening that I considered really danceable. I think the worst bit of the set was done by a guest DJ and someone else took over at about midnight.

My own personal preference would be for the kind of smooth blues set played by Marc Forster and others. But if that's not available (and it usually isn't ) then I'm happy to hear a mixed selection of standard jive classics - tracks you can have a good time to even if they're not that subtle. But these were not in evidence, either. Many of the tracks I had never heard before, and I was amazed at the regional difference between the music played there and in the Midlands.

I asked a number of people what they thought of the music (deliberately phrased to not be a leading question) and the most common one-word answer was "cr*p".

The event finished at 12:45 but a lot of people had left before this. The dance floor was full at 11 and I think more people would have been there until the end if the music had been more dancer-friendly. It was eardrum- shatteringly loud, as well. But, hey, the organisers had got their money by then, who cares what time the punters go home.

So I won't be rushing back there.
    Last edited by jivecat; 27th-March-2006 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    Mature.
    God forbid

"Experienced", please...

Donna

The last two years that I danced locally I felt more and more despondent, I was missing so many friends who had given up Ceroc, and hating the music, and worst of all not feeling any improvement in my dancing despite being acutely aware that there was still a massive room for improvement.

I know exactly how you feel. It's a shame when that happens at a time when you're so getting into it and know there is room for improvement. I went through that phase of people I was close to suddenly disappearing but now they've all returned again. A couple died, some went on long holidays and some just decide to give it a break, start having withdrawal symptoms and come back again.

When I left to dance in London it was with a very very heavy heart and after years of wrangling with the local DJs. I still miss my local dance mates terribly . Fortunately many of them join me for car trips to London or meet me there.
    Well it's nice to know you keep in contact. I can imagine how it feels to have let go of everything that you were so used to but things change. That's life I suppose but glad you're enjoying London. I just love the whole atmosphere down there.... one reason I'd like to move from here....

It's not perfect but as you say there seems to be a slightly higher proportion of good dancers in London.
    I know it's not perfect but I'm sure it's a whole lot better than up here.

People for whom dancing is their main hobby, you can tell easily - when football is on the telly, they don't have to stay in and watch it. Why this is I do not know ..I if I could put something into the water supply here to make more of the the local guys put dancing first I would.

Yeah!! It's really annoying when you're expecting a full house to liven up the atmosphere only to find it totally dead... and why? Foootballl!

Anyway, once I settled in to dancing in London I felt far more at home, than I have ever felt locally. I prefer the music as it's more adventurous and there seems to be a higher proportion of like minded people who just want to dance.
    Obviously with more of what you enjoy doing going on down there, you feel a stronger connection with people and of course you would feel at home.

As you know, in London Nigel and Nina and Amir have taught smooth, stylish and musical dancing, I think this has helped focus people on their lead and follow and the look and feel of their dance more than just the moves. I'm sure this is going on all over the country in little pockets and I know some of the ceroc teachers in the sticks also teach smooth dancing (Paul Harris for one), but the sheer number of 'keen to be smooth and musical' dancers in London swings it for me.
    Hmmm we simply don't get enough of here though unfortunately. It's just moves moves and more blummin moves. Ok you get workshops, but it's not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    God forbid

"Experienced", please...
    Of course Chris

'Mature' was a joke ( keeping in with my 'patronising' theme)

I left it there deliberately to tempt an immature experienced person like your good self to nip in and correct it.

On the ball as ever

ZW

Glitter Queen

So if you're 'middle aged' does that also make you 'experienced'?

(shall I just run and hide again now?)

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles

He he. *Runs off and joins sparkles!*

Glitter Queen

*Runs off and joins sparkles!*
    Oi! Get your elbow out of my eye!
    I don't think there's enough room in here for both of us - go find your own hiding place...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles

I think some of us are far more experienced than others...but I tell you the 1 hour car journeys to and from London have sure filled in a lot of the gaps in my knowledge.

Thanks girls

ZW

Thread Information